• March 28, 2024, 04:18:06 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Gas bike as backup? Good idea?  (Read 752 times)

geijuutsuka

• View Profile
Gas bike as backup? Good idea?
« on: June 08, 2020, 01:00:07 AM »

Hey all, new to the forums, glad to finally be part of the community.  My wife owns a 2018 Zero SR (charge tank) and I have a 2019 Zero SR (charge tank) currently being transferred to my local dealer.  My question to you all is, When going electric, did anybody hang onto an old gas bike as a backup in case the zero got stuck in the shop for a while?  I currently have a paid off 2019 CB300R that I'm planning on trading in towards my SR when I pick it up this weekend, but honestly, I love riding it and would like to have it as a backup so I can still ride with my wife if it has some issues that keep it tied up at the dealer for a few weeks (or longer from some of the horror stories here that have me a bit spooked).  Has anyone done this?  Did your backup gas bike just turn into a paperweight?  Thanks for any replies! 

staples

• View Profile
Re: Gas bike as backup? Good idea?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 01:16:38 AM »

I don't have any "backup" bikes. All three of mine are for their purposes, and I can use them sort of interchangeably. The '18 FXS is my daily commuter. The '05 Suzuki DRZ400S is for playing in the mud, and the '04 Honda CBR600F4i is for going the distance, or just fast.

Having more than one bike is all right by me. I'd go for an all electric stable if charging were significantly faster.

Even though all the stay at home stuff for Coronavirus has significantly reduced my riding right now, it's nice to be able to hop on another bike while I have my FXS in the shop for the past two weeks to get the onboard charger replaced.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Crilly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 02:25:52 AM »

Staples: are you sure you never forgot to plug it in one night and had to ride a backup to work.

staples

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 02:33:32 AM »

Staples: are you sure you never forgot to plug it in one night and had to ride a backup to work.
I have done that once or twice.

valnar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 02:34:28 AM »

The only bike I own is my Zero FXS and it's in the shop right now.  From the moment it went in there, I've been thinking of picking up an ICE bike too.  I really need to stop reading & watching YT reviews.
Zero FXS 2020

staples

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 02:37:01 AM »

My other thought would be to ditch the 2 icers and get an SRF, Energica, or F850GS. There are just too many options.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 03:32:42 AM »

My other thought would be to ditch the 2 icers and get an SRF, Energica, or F850GS. There are just too many options.
Don't forget about the SR/S. I like it a lot better than the SR/F. 

The SR/S has a centerstand. The only electric bike that I know which does. They have a nice new one all fixed up at Eurocycles here in  Reno with hard luggage and all.

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 04:22:51 AM »

A "backup" bike doesn't need to be gas just because your primary is electric. When I ordered my Ribelle I had an EsseEsse9 and a Triumph Trophy. Since the last time I had 3 bikes, it was a pain in the rear to shuffle them around I decided I would only keep two bikes at any one time so either the EsseEsse9 or Trophy had to go. I ended up selling the Triumph and am looking forward to having a 2 electric bike stable when the Ribelle arrives.

My EsseEsse9 will be my "backup" bike only because it has the smaller battery. That being said, I'm sure I'll still ride it fairly often, just not as my "main" bike like it is now.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

geijuutsuka

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2020, 08:41:37 AM »

Correct.  I could have called this thread "spare bike?  Good idea?"  I guess I was speaking as someone new to electrics coming from the world of ICE bikes.  Obviously, if my finances allowed, I'd love to be sitting on an SR/F, and EsseEsse 9.  However, I feel equally stoked/fortunate that my wife rides, and we have 2 SR's and a Honda as backup/variety bike. Thanks for sharing your experiences, and helping me make my decision. Cheers!

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2020, 10:07:46 AM »

Correct.  I could have called this thread "spare bike?  Good idea?"  I guess I was speaking as someone new to electrics coming from the world of ICE bikes.  Obviously, if my finances allowed, I'd love to be sitting on an SR/F, and EsseEsse 9.  However, I feel equally stoked/fortunate that my wife rides, and we have 2 SR's and a Honda as backup/variety bike. Thanks for sharing your experiences, and helping me make my decision. Cheers!
IMO, for now, keep at least one ICE bike unless you're 100% certain where you will be going on your bikes with no exceptions. I could name places all day long that you cannot get to on any  electric motorcycle. And even if you could, you would have to do a round trip. There are some places where it is even difficult to get to on an ICE bike. And some of those places are in CA.

For an example of a place we cannot get to on an electric bike in CA, my yearly ride to Horse Lake. For that ride, I take my Moto Guzzi with the 8.5 gallon fuel tank that will take me around 400 miles on a tank. I don't need that much range for that trip, but it is still way too far on an electric the way I go and come back.

Also, my yearly trip to Denio, NV from here, starting from Lake Pyramid.  I normally take my Harley for that trip, as it will do 300 miles on a tank.

Hopefully this will change someday, but I kinda doubt I will see it in my lifetime where we have enough charge stations out in the middle of nowhere for electric motorcycles. IMO, this is a MUCH bigger problem than range of the electric bike.

Don't get me wrong, I love my electric bikes the most of all for around 95% of my riding. But I want the other 5% covered with my ICE bikes.

-Don-  Reno, NV
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 03:10:59 AM by DonTom »
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2020, 01:22:17 AM »

We have a Scrambler and an S, so sure!  Different bikes do different things.

Tho the electric was bought as the 'backup' and my bike, it's ridden 2x the miles of the ICE bike, which was bought for trips to the city (and which, well... Coronavirus).  Even so a trip to the city a couple times a month is worth 2-3 errands on the other bike and we'd still be putting more miles on mine.

Is is smart to have a backup?  Well, it's always smart to have a backup transportation plan.  I keep my bicycle in working order and have a car for the same reason.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2020, 12:33:58 PM »

I can't remember the last time I " NEEDED " to purchase a vehicle. Over the past decade or so, I have generally had 2 cars and 3 or more motorcycles registered and insured
at the same time. Now that I have my Chevrolet Bolt, the need for a 2nd trip vehicle has gone away and I am down to my Bolt. I still have my Grand National, but I don't
count it.  I am also " thinning the heard " of two wheelers as well. I am presently down to 3 still on the road. I had a 2012 XU which a lady friend would ride when
we went out and I rode my 2013 FX(s). When I was run over on the XU and it was destroyed, I picked up a 2016 SR with the intent to sell my FX(s). I ended up keeping
the FX(s) because it was so much fun to ride. Last year, I got a so so deal on a 2014 S. It has now been highly modified so the 2016 SR, sits unloved and unregistered.
The third bike still on the road is a 2003 Suzuki SV 650. I kept it on the road in case a LONG road ride came along. Pretty much the only riding it gets is to circulate the
fluids. My FX(s) is getting long in the tooth and battery is getting tired. Cell balance is WAY out and range is beginning to suffer noticeably. Since Zero didn't change the X
platform until 2014, it is an orphan so can't just put newer batteries in. Doubtful that I will do much other than roll it into the back garage to collect cobwebs. It will be
residing alongside of Several Kawasaki Turbos, Honda Turbo, Bandit 1200 and 1982 Katana 1000.
   So, to make a long story a little less long, as stated above different bikes have different uses. We only live once, so might as well enjoy your time here.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2020, 02:47:42 AM »

This is the first time I've had more than two working vehicles in our household, not counting bicycles.  For most of the time with my spouse in the last twenty years, only five out of the twenty-two have had two or more working vehicles.

So this idea to have spare is new to me ^-^

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

geijuutsuka

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2020, 09:33:49 AM »

Quick update.  I bought the demo SR.  Rode it home in eco, extremely happy.  Went on a long trip that turned into a short trip once I noticed a vibration, then took it back to the dealer.  Case currently open with Zero.  Extremely glad I kept the Gas bike.  I would have hated to walk into the dealership and see my old bike looking at me saying " I told you so".  That being said, I CANNOT WAIT to get my zero back and actually ride somewhere that isn't the dealership!

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2020, 11:26:40 AM »

Man, what a bummer.

Well, glad you were able to have a backup!

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5
Pages: [1] 2