• March 29, 2024, 06:09:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A quick pictorial of how I routed my Quadlock wireless charger USB cable  (Read 671 times)

Hans2183

• View Profile

It has enough slack not to hinder steering. It follows mostly existing cable routing. Goes underneath the plastics up front and comes into the tank from the tank lid hinge system. It's not in the way of the tank lid closing. Next it's taped on the side of the storage compartment.

The thing I'm not convinced about is how it sticks out on the USB connection in the tank storage compartment. That might get stuck on or hit by something I drop in there.

This quadlock kit also comes with a battery connector but given how small this battery is I'm not going to risk that. Plus it wouldn't switch ON/OFF with the contact key of the bike as it does now.

For the charging itself I had to relocate the universal sticky pad on my cheap iPhone 11 silicone case to the exact center for the charger to be picked up. But other than that it just works. Officially it's only compatible with their phone specific cases.
2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---

Hans2183

• View Profile

Quick update on the low power mode caused by using the built in USB ports. Turned out the phone still lost charge when using it for navigation with screen on all the time. So this wasn't going to work.

I didn't want to use the quadlock battery to SAE connector to mount it directly on the battery cause then it would be on all the time.

Luckily the SAE connector provided by zero turns out to be switched, so only live when the ignition key is in the ON position. So I just used the quadlock provided SAE to USB adapter on that connector instead. A bad picture I quickly took on the road. Now it does properly charge up, even when screen remains on.

--- Belgium ---

remmie

• View Profile

Hi Hans,

If you take the tank plastics off (just 6 screws) or just raise them a little bit on the left side  you can put the SAE to USB adapter underneath the plastics. It looks like the SAE part is watertight enough but I can imagine that the USB side is less watertight or have you additionally waterproofed it ?
It looks like a very nice charger though. I have used a quadlock mount (with qaudlock case) for years now and really like it. The price is a bit high though (100 euro's). Maybe I'll try to sell my normal quadlock mount first :)

The SAE connector you found is normally for heated gear but works fine. It is not only switched when the bike is on. It is also on whenever the bike charges ! So you can keep charging your phone as the bike charges.
Current : Red Premium Zero SR/F (ordered May 25, delivered August 23 2019) with Rapid charger for 12kW charging
Former : White Zero SR 2018 ZF14.4 kWh (17.500 km)
Former : Black Zero SR 2014 ZF11.4 kWh (25.000 km)
SR's outfitted with Homemade "Supercharger" 6x eltek Flatpack S (12 kW)

Hans2183

• View Profile

Nice, good to know about it being on while charging also.

Yes water is currently my biggest concern. Even on the SAE connector one of the pins is still a little exposed (hence my quick tape fix that clearly didn't work) and USB will be worse indeed. It's really a bad spot for water damage. I'll try removing the plastics and use an SAE extension to get at least the USB part inside.

Indeed rather expensive for just a wireless charging head. Note that you still need to get the mount itself separately. Crazy right!? I use quadlock on my 2 bicycles and my 2 motorcycles and adding this all up is really way too much for some molded parts screwed together.

I stopped getting new phone cases just because of their cost. Instead I now reuse the generic ones and I have 2 that I keep sticking on again with just regular 2 sided tape. Haven't lost any phones so far but that is probably a weak point I created myself.
--- Belgium ---

didierm

• View Profile

SAE extensions :
* https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32963946172.html (2-way, fused, connect this one first ; I'll replace the fuse with a lower current value)
;
* https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000264632931.html (4-way).

I seal the SAE connectors with Scotch/3M Super 33+ vinyl tape (https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Super-Vinyl-Electrical-Tape/dp/B0772ZCDJT).

Pages: [1]