• April 26, 2024, 10:54:25 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: LED blinker relay starts clicking when damp  (Read 351 times)

NervEasy

• View Profile
    • Personal site
LED blinker relay starts clicking when damp
« on: June 13, 2020, 02:57:57 PM »

Hi,

A bit at a loss here. I tried 3 separate brands of CF13-14 blinker relays. All worked fine when weather is dry. But when I wash my bike (just with sponge) or when it rains or when the weather is damp the relay starts clicking like when you normally would use the blinkers. Non of the lights start flashing though as the blinker switch is off and the hazard switch is also off. when I turn any of these switches on the lights work as they should but when turned off the relay just keeps clicking constantly...

When I test the relay on my bench I can just start them clicking by holding a finger on the L and E pin (as a light would do). So they all obviously need almost no load (just a finger -> so waaaaay less than even the load a LED is) to start clicking. So it seems to be the way they are designed, a bit of water or dampness in the wrong area/wires and these modules start clicking away...

So my wonder is all these modules use relays inside. Which seems stupid. Are there any models that use a (MOS)FET or other solid state switching? So they are completely silent? Even if they behave as described above I wouldn't know as all would be quiet :).

Anybody have any ideas? My bike is 2019 14,4 S. At the moment I have reverted back to incandescent bulbs and the stock relay as this doesn't have this behavior.

I am a bit reluctant to go the resistor route as it seems a very inelegant solution and defeats the purpose of using LED's...
2019 Zero S 11kw - 2020 SR/S

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Re: LED blinker relay starts clicking when damp
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 04:29:06 PM »

Old style ones yes use relays because cheap.
But this usually isn't a problem since the unit is sealed with resin.

If it's malfunctioning replace it.  There are others that will also work but you may need to change out the enclosure.

https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Aftermarket
Search 'turn signals' second mention, heading

But you probably knew that.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

NervEasy

• View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 03:47:14 PM »

I put a 47uF 25v cap over the B and L pins on one of my LED relays. This changed the activation threshold considerably. Just installed it on the bike, gonna test ride it for some time to see if it is a permanent fix.
2019 Zero S 11kw - 2020 SR/S

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 01:50:14 AM »

Better link (I didn't make a proper subheading before) to the aftermarket section for the relay: https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Aftermarket#Turn_Signal_Flasher_Relay

If the capacitor works, let us know so I can add a manual suggestion.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: [1]