• April 25, 2024, 02:07:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Need feedback from daily user of SRF & DSR  (Read 578 times)

Moto7575

• City rider
  • Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022
    • View Profile
Need feedback from daily user of SRF & DSR
« on: June 14, 2020, 07:27:33 PM »

Hi !

I want to change from an FXS to either a DSR or an SRF. I really like how FXS can split lanes & move easily anywhere (light, limited space need). What I'd like to improve : range (not a real problem since my commute is 10 miles/15 km), torque / 0-60 (I got used to FXS's), trunk (SRF/DSR front case is fine for what i want - a small disk locker & rain pants).

I am 5'7 feet/174 cm high. My questions!
   - DSR seems a little bit high. Is it fine if you're 5'7 ?
   - 0-60 seems better for an FXS rather than a DSR. Is it confirmed ?
   - SRF is a new model. What sort of issues did you encounter ? Anything that would let me prefer a more mature model such as DSR ?

Thanks a lot !
Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022

TheRan

• View Profile
Re: Need feedback from daily user of SRF & DSR
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 10:25:01 PM »

The seat height is only 0.3 inches higher, if you wanted you could get an SR and it would be 1.1 inches lower. On top of that you'd get better on road handling, I don't know why but a lot of people seem to automatically go for the DS/R when they're only riding on road.

0-60 numbers on the English Electric site have the FX and FXS at 4 seconds and the DSR at 3.9, the SR at 3.3. I don't know if there really is that much difference between a DSR and SR (if they can both be launched at full throttle, so traction isn't an issue on the DSR, then they should be very close to identical) and I find it hard to believe that the FX/S is 1.2 seconds faster than a 7.2 DS when they have the same power and torque and the DS is only about 10kg heavier. Also they say the 7.2 S is 0.4 seconds faster and I know for a fact I can launch my DS at full throttle.

Have you considered the weight different between your FXS and the bikes you're looking at getting? The DSR is going to be a tad over 50kg heavier and the SR/F is 85kg heavier. I would say look at a 7.2 S as it's only about 10kg heavier, has enough range, has more storage, and will have faster charging than your FXS (and is of course quite a bit cheaper), but if the numbers above are correct it will end up being a bit slower to accelerate. You will however have a higher top speed at 98mph compared to 85mph for the FXS (unless you're in the EU).

TEV

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 10:27:21 PM »

Hi !

I want to change from an FXS to either a DSR or an SRF. I really like how FXS can split lanes & move easily anywhere (light, limited space need). What I'd like to improve : range (not a real problem since my commute is 10 miles/15 km), torque / 0-60 (I got used to FXS's), trunk (SRF/DSR front case is fine for what i want - a small disk locker & rain pants).

I am 5'7 feet/174 cm high. My questions!
   - DSR seems a little bit high. Is it fine if you're 5'7 ?
   - 0-60 seems better for an FXS rather than a DSR. Is it confirmed ?
   - SRF is a new model. What sort of issues did you encounter ? Anything that would let me prefer a more mature model such as DSR ?

Thanks a lot !

Your questions are good, but you have to test drive a DSR and a SR/F, because the rider position is different on those two. Also the SR/F have the traction control, double disk brakes on the front, and some other stuff too. Anyway it seems that the SR/S is what everybody wants/likes.
2019 ZERO DSR
2020 ZERO FXS

TEV

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 10:35:41 PM »

I don't know why but a lot of people seem to automatically go for the DS/R when they're only riding on road.

LOL, you're right, I have no intention to take my DSR offroad, but, the roads in Cleveland Ohio are so bad, that it make a lot of sense to have the DSR  :)
2019 ZERO DSR
2020 ZERO FXS

Moto7575

• City rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 12:09:58 AM »

Thanks ! Already had an S so yes I see the weight difference. My FXS is a 6.5 - range is not the issue. Torque is what I want to increase.
I think the difference between DSR and SR is simply due to sprocket & wheel sizes.

The seat height is only 0.3 inches higher, if you wanted you could get an SR and it would be 1.1 inches lower. On top of that you'd get better on road handling, I don't know why but a lot of people seem to automatically go for the DS/R when they're only riding on road.

0-60 numbers on the English Electric site have the FX and FXS at 4 seconds and the DSR at 3.9, the SR at 3.3. I don't know if there really is that much difference between a DSR and SR (if they can both be launched at full throttle, so traction isn't an issue on the DSR, then they should be very close to identical) and I find it hard to believe that the FX/S is 1.2 seconds faster than a 7.2 DS when they have the same power and torque and the DS is only about 10kg heavier. Also they say the 7.2 S is 0.4 seconds faster and I know for a fact I can launch my DS at full throttle.

Have you considered the weight different between your FXS and the bikes you're looking at getting? The DSR is going to be a tad over 50kg heavier and the SR/F is 85kg heavier. I would say look at a 7.2 S as it's only about 10kg heavier, has enough range, has more storage, and will have faster charging than your FXS (and is of course quite a bit cheaper), but if the numbers above are correct it will end up being a bit slower to accelerate. You will however have a higher top speed at 98mph compared to 85mph for the FXS (unless you're in the EU).

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 12:45:42 AM »

The sprockets are the same but you're right about the wheels. They're both 17" but different size tyres, I thought that the diameter was actually the same (DS is higher profile but narrower) but it turns out the DS is slightly larger. It's only a small difference but perhaps enough to make such a difference in time.

If torque is the main thing you're after then you could consider a chain conversion. The sprockets that come with the kit are supposedly 65t and 12t which would get you from 530Nm of wheel torque up to 575Nm. An SR for comparison is 707Nm, if you could fit an 80t sprocket with the chain kit (or smaller if you also go down on the front) then you'd match the SR (but on a significantly lighter bike so wouldn't need to go that high for the same acceleration). Of course you'd need to take your bike to a dealer and get them to adjust the sprocket sizes in the software so your speedo reading is accurate.

This is assuming you have the 18t front sprocket like current models do, if you happen to have the 20t then you could swap to the 18t and go from 477Nm to 530Nm.

Moto7575

• City rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 12:50:06 AM »

Unfortunately insurancewise it does not seem to be possible - unless i paid huge certification fees to prove that this "new" bike is compliant with EU regulations.

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 02:01:45 PM »

About SR/F issues the biggest issue that was reported here so far by several users is with riding in rain resulting in isolation errors. You can read about it here including how it got fixed https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=9668.0

Other than that I only had the front brake light switch fail on me and the tank lid hinge was replaced because of a misalignment. That last thing should be resolved in factory for current deliveries. All free of charge within warranty.

But for the isolation error 1 had to turn in the bike for 45 days (mostly waiting for parts) and I'm not only. For the second repair attempt it was much faster since the dealer ordered everything and only brought the bike to the shop when everything was ready for install.
2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---

vinceherman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 06:03:07 PM »

The SR/F and SR/S are a huge leap forward with the traction/stability control.
Plus it has cruise control!  :-D

Have you done demo rides?  Check with Cleveland Moto and see what they will let you ride or when the next demo days are scheduled.

heroto

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2020, 08:02:48 PM »

Yes, the traction control is very helpful. The riding position on the /F and /S is not for everyone. Try first. I love the 6kw charging, I’ve done 300 mile days. 
Pages: [1]