• April 25, 2024, 10:33:54 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: SR/F changing handlebars  (Read 899 times)

petewarm

• View Profile
SR/F changing handlebars
« on: June 23, 2020, 04:54:48 PM »

Hi all, hope you're managing to get out, the weather here in the UK is simply gorgeous.

I want a more relaxed ride position on my SR/F. First stop seems to be the handlebars. I looked at AF1racing and shuddered at the cost of the SR/S replacements, so decided to look at the aftermarket range, and ended up looking at Renthal ( is there anybody else?)

I measured my  handlebars and came up with the following ( warning rough!) measurements for the stock SR/F bars:
clamp dia 1 1/8" (28.6mm)  bar ends 7/8" (22.6mm) ie same as Renthal's fatbar range
A  750mm
B ~20mm
C ~50mm
D  105mm
E ~105mm
F  200mm min
X ~140mm
Y ~2870mm
Putting these into the renthal worksheet https://www.renthal.com/worksfit/ as custom gives me a baseline.

Difficult to say, but I reckon I'd like my arms to be 100mm longer, so to me that looks like B and  E being +75 at least, B has to be higher to clear the tank(?)
Closest I could find was the Renthal 845 Street Medium (Touring)  which sounds about right, and is shown attached, together with the stock bars.

Anybody else been down this route?

good riding!

2019 SR/F premium blue - weeeeee! - now with rapid charge :-)
5 years no driving with defibrillator
2002 Honda VFR 750
15 years raise a family
1970 Triumph 350 speed twin school commute

siai47

• View Profile
Re: SR/F changing handlebars
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 07:18:07 PM »

Search the existing threads about handlebars.  There are several suggestions about different bars or risers for the SR/F.  As a side note, you might want to lower the pegs a little bit as you go to a more upright position.  I was looking at an SR/S and noticed the peg (which appears to be using the same mount of the SR/F) has an offset in it to lower it a bit.
1979 Honda CBX
2009 Aprilia Cube 250 Scooter
2016 Victory Empulse TT
2019 Can-Am Spyder
2020 SR/F (retired)

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 01:26:45 AM »

Search the existing threads about handlebars.  There are several suggestions about different bars or risers for the SR/F.  As a side note, you might want to lower the pegs a little bit as you go to a more upright position.  I was looking at an SR/S and noticed the peg (which appears to be using the same mount of the SR/F) has an offset in it to lower it a bit.

The SR/S pegs do just bolt on.  I ordered a pair from my dealer and installed them.  You do have to also replace the break lever (due to the lower foot position) but it's an easy job (they kit from Zero comes with the pegs and break lever).  It's pretty noticeable.  I also have a 1 1/2" riser on the bars (moves them up and towards the rider about 1.5".  Could be a little closer to me yet, but it's a much better riding position for me.

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

petewarm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 03:27:38 PM »

Hi guys, the tip about the footpegs Ill be following, Thanks

I did search on handlebars but didn't get anything - maybe I should have used "bars"? Ill have another look.

I just made up my mind to go with the renthal 845 bars @ £81 all in.  Due tomorrow,  Ill let you know how they end up.

time to get out!

2002 Honda VFR 750
15 years raise a family

siai47

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 01:39:13 AM »

You need to take you time if you change bars.  There are holes to drill and tap (4mm) in the bars to attach things.  Be careful removing the throttle side grip--hold the shells together after you get it past the anti rotation pin hole in the bar, slide it off the end carefully and bolt the shells back together until you are ready to install it on the replacement bar.  If you aren't careful, a whole lot of little bits and pieces will exit the throttle assembly that are a bitch to get back were they belong.  Don't ask me how I know this but trust me on this!
1979 Honda CBX
2009 Aprilia Cube 250 Scooter
2016 Victory Empulse TT
2019 Can-Am Spyder
2020 SR/F (retired)

petewarm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 05:34:20 PM »

You need to take you time if you change bars.  There are holes to drill and tap (4mm) in the bars to attach things.  Be careful removing the throttle side grip--hold the shells together after you get it past the anti rotation pin hole in the bar, slide it off the end carefully and bolt the shells back together until you are ready to install it on the replacement bar.  If you aren't careful, a whole lot of little bits and pieces will exit the throttle assembly that are a bitch to get back were they belong.  Don't ask me how I know this but trust me on this!

Hah! coundn't have put it better myself. Of course I exploded the throttle , but (sigh) back together now.  My main issue turned out to be the wires - they are all too short so the headlamp assembly will be next off.  Interesting to see someone (zero?) has ground off the anti rotation pin, and I can see why - the old bars had the hole in the wrong place.  Ah to be human!
2002 Honda VFR 750
15 years raise a family

petewarm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 08:12:28 PM »

Managed to get the headlamp off so I could get to the two cable ties that were stopping it all fitting. see enclosed. Phew! at least I know how it all comes apart.

The 845 bars are better, but I think I may want them still higher.   Ill wait and see. 
2002 Honda VFR 750
15 years raise a family

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 01:19:34 AM »

How much "rise and shift" did you get with the new bars?  I am about 1.5" higher, and about 1.5" closer to the rider with the riser I put on.  I'd still like them a little higher, and probably a little closer.

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

DeSelbyofDalkey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2020, 04:17:25 AM »

The SR/S pegs do just bolt on.

Slight digression: I was told that the SR/S has lower pegs compared to the SR/F, but visually comparing the two models side-by-side I discern no difference. Sitting on both suggests that the lower seat of the SR/F is the only difference.

Can anyone confirm a difference in peg height between the two?

BTW if I get the SR/S, I plan to install SR/F lower handlebars. Has anyone bought SR/F or /S handlebars separately?

Thanks!

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2020, 04:52:45 AM »

Using Zero's own images I also don't see a difference. Seat height also looks identical although the SR/F's could be more narrowly sculpted making it feel lower (I haven't sat on either). The bars also don't look to be much higher, just more back sweep. I suppose it could be rise and they're just tilted back.

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2020, 07:29:01 AM »

I replaced my pegs with the SR/S ones (on my SR/F).  They mount in the same place, but are shifted down about 3/4 of an inch due to how they are designed.  That small difference is noticable.

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2020, 08:34:39 AM »

It would seem that the photo from Zero isn't accurate, that bike must have been fitted with SR/F pegs. I managed to find a half decent photo of the SR/S pegs (on the right) and they are indeed lower.

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2020, 02:31:58 PM »

Just go to https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/accessories and download the PDF, it has this image of the footpegs

2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---

petewarm

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2020, 04:04:51 AM »

How much "rise and shift" did you get with the new bars?  I am about 1.5" higher, and about 1.5" closer to the rider with the riser I put on.  I'd still like them a little higher, and probably a little closer.

Steve

Steve: I get about 2" back and 1-2" up, depending on how the bars are clamped.  Its much better, but I still plan on getting the risers as well as the footpegs.
Was looking at up the shop risers on ebay, but they dont do them in black :'(

pete
2002 Honda VFR 750
15 years raise a family
Pages: [1]