Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Range  (Read 570 times)

PL3

• View Profile
Range
« on: June 24, 2020, 03:47:32 AM »

is this true?
"Zero SR offers the highest range in the Zero lineup."
Zero SR offers the highest range in the Zero lineup.

TheRan

• View Profile
Re: Range
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 04:29:37 AM »

It is, according to the numbers that Zero gives. 179 miles city and 90 miles highway, and that's without the Power Tank. I would have thought the SR/S might have a longer range, at least highway, but they spec it was 161 miles and 82 miles for city and highway respectively. That said, those are the same numbers as the SR/F and the SR/S should perform better. I don't know if the Power Tank is available for the SR/F or SR/S yet but they spec that as having a 200 mile range (city), with the same percentage increase the SR with one should get around 222 miles.

Note that if you live outside of the US this isn't unique to the SR as the regular S is also available as 14.4kW/h.

Auriga

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 05:14:16 AM »

The theory for the SR/S is that those numbers come from some regulation and don't take into account the effect of tucking behind the fairing. Terry on the Facebook has claimed 30% better range tucked at highway.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 05:49:56 AM »

That makes sense, I can see why the regulations would call for a relaxed upright position. If my math is correct then that would give the SR/S +PT a highway range of about 132 miles tucked in, and the SR+PT would be around 112 miles.

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 11:02:15 AM »

From your numbers, you seem to be adding the range from tucking behind the fairing, but
do not seem to be adding any range for tucking on the SR.
Looking at the site, Zero seems to provide the same range for the SR/F and the SR/S.
If this is true, then you should get similar increase tucking on the SR. I haven't personally
ridden the SR/F or SR/S but did do a little highway riding with someone on an SR/F with
me on a highly modified S. I was riding mine a lot harder than he was and he still used
a LOT more energy than I did. It would be an interesting comparison to see the two side
by side. If SR/S tucks, SR should as well.

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 02:26:01 PM »

I have an SRF myself and before that have test ridden several S and DS, R and non R models. The numbers given by Zero are pretty accurate.

Most of the time I get around 150 km in range on my SRF that is not in ECO and not caring about range.

I recently did a test ride on my SRF from 100 % to 0 % battery charge on twisty roads that are limited to 70 kmh and have several 50 kmh sections. Small hills (less than 10% incline) but really all hills all ride long at around 20 °C. No tucking, a small portion with luggage and like 10 % of the ride on 90 kmh roads. That resulted in a range of 210 km with 4 km getting home with 0 % charge.

From what I understood on 0 % you should still be able to get 8 to 10 km in distance. Obviously not recommended to always deplete your battery for every ride. The battery is at it's best above 20% and below 80% charge. And in practice I rarely deplete it.

But it's really all down to riding style. The metrics of the last 40 km of that ride are in the screenshot below. I used only 80 Nm of torque at max (whereas otherwise it shows a max of 190 or even 200 Nm).

Due to the type of road it was still a fun ride. But it's nothing as thrilling as running it in sport mode and using that 200 Nm. Speed is your real range killer due to drag. On highways going close to 140 kmh I get like 120 to 130 km range.

I haven't depleted any S or DS yet but those have less power so are easier to ride like I did with the SRF that day. So yes you should get more range.
2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---

Hero on my Zero

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 03:32:43 PM »

For me it makes sense that the SR has a better range than the SR/F(S).

The battery capacity is the same, but the SR is much lighter and less powerful. The latter might be compensated on the /F(S) by a wee bit better efficiency of the engine and other components, but then the end result is still in favor of the SR.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2020, 05:43:13 PM »

The other factor is the skinnier wheels and tires on the S and SR compared to the SR/F and SR/S.  They have significantly less rolling resistance than the larger ones on the newer bikes.  They are also lighter which means it takes less power to get them moving.  Some people claim it detracts from the "look" but I'll always choose function over form.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2020, 06:45:20 PM »

From your numbers, you seem to be adding the range from tucking behind the fairing, but
do not seem to be adding any range for tucking on the SR.
Looking at the site, Zero seems to provide the same range for the SR/F and the SR/S.
If this is true, then you should get similar increase tucking on the SR. I haven't personally
ridden the SR/F or SR/S but did do a little highway riding with someone on an SR/F with
me on a highly modified S. I was riding mine a lot harder than he was and he still used
a LOT more energy than I did. It would be an interesting comparison to see the two side
by side. If SR/S tucks, SR should as well.
You won't gain as much tucking on the SR, or any of the other Zeros. A windscreen will help (but probably still not as much as the SR/S because that has a full fairing) but then so would a tyre change or increasing the pressure, adding a dustbin fairing, hand guards, wheel covers, etc. The things is I don't know by how much, Zero at least gave a number for tucking on the SR/S so I used it.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2020, 08:21:36 PM »

I bet Zero determines their range numbers from dyno runs that are not affected by wind resistance or the aerodynamics of the motorcycle or rider position.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2020, 10:56:27 PM »

It's done with the SAE J2982 which is done on a dyno (that's the extent of the information I could find on it). While it probably does take into account a general aerodynamic penalty (i.e. they can't just say the range is however far it goes on the dyno, it must be less) it probably doesn't take into account the varying aerodynamic properties of different bikes.

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2020, 11:47:15 PM »

You are probably correct about numbers on the Dyno. If you look at the numbers posted on the website,
the 7.2 S gets the same MPGe as the 14.4 SR. The SR/F and SR/S get the same numbers as well.
If you read, I was careful not to say that you would get the same result in tucking on the SR, but, it
appeared that there wasn't any tucking accounted for on the earlier post.
I have had several Zeros ( Still have 3 ) and practice hypermiling whenever possible. That being said,
I also have as much power as is available when desired.

Zelidar

• SR/F Premium 2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2020, 02:09:38 PM »

Speed is your real range killer due to drag. On highways going close to 140 kmh I get like 120 to 130 km range.

I drive a SR/F myself and can confirm what you wrote at 100%. Below 50 kph (city driving, full regen.) my range display has already gone up as high as 350 km. I am using a customized mode where everything is at 100% (power, torque and regeneration). This way I mostly do not have to use my brakes and can choose myself if my driving is ECO or SPORT, on the fly ;).
- Zero SR/F Premium (since 22.11.2019)
- (2007-2019 nothing and no car since 2017)
- Yamaha FJ1200 (2nd), FJ1200 (1st)
- Honda CBF 750, NX 650, MTX 125
Pages: [1]