• April 24, 2024, 02:06:44 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Looking for a good highway shield for my SR/F  (Read 330 times)

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
Looking for a good highway shield for my SR/F
« on: June 27, 2020, 06:42:23 PM »

Looking for a good windshield for my SR/F.  I picked up an MRA Highway shield (19") but just can't find a good position that limits turbulence while avoiding excessive noise at the helmet.  I tried putting an extension on the shield, but could not get a stable mount (the extension would cause the MRA to tilt under speed, no matter how tight I had it tied down).  The helmet noise is just crazy with the shield on, it's off now.  So I guess I either need a shorter shield so the turbulence is lower, or a higher shield to get the turbulence over the helmet.  Has anyone found a good solution that solves both helmet noise and still gives good protection at speed?

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Looking for a good highway shield for my SR/F
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 08:47:53 PM »

I had the same problem with my MRA Zero accessory shield. After trying all sorts of things, I finally stuck/glued Velcro to the top of the headlight and to the bottom of the shield and also glued the plastic ball mounts in place. So far that has worked for the past 500 miles without the shield moving back at speed like it used to do. Maybe not the best idea, but it seems to work.  ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 08:56:22 PM »

I had the same problem with my MRA Zero accessory shield. After trying all sorts of things, I finally stuck/glued Velcro to the top of the headlight and to the bottom of the shield and also glued the plastic ball mounts in place. So far that has worked for the past 500 miles without the shield moving back at speed like it used to do. Maybe not the best idea, but it seems to work.  ???

How tall is that one Richard?  Do you have an additional deflector?  How is the noise at your helmet?  Thanks!

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 10:05:24 PM »

How tall is that one Richard?  Do you have an additional deflector?  How is the noise at your helmet?  Thanks!

Steve

It is the standard Zero windshield, with an integrated deflector that I keep fully lowered as raising it increases the noise and buffeting on my helmet.  In the lower position the wind hits me chest and not my face. The windshield, with the deflector in the lowest position, is 16" tall. Using a taller windshield would require installing a "universal" shield that would mount to the handlebars. That would likely be a better idea than trying to attach another deflector on to the Zero shield as that would likely over-stress the mounting system and maybe also the shield plastic.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: [1]