• April 26, 2024, 01:09:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Healtech Brake Light Pro install on SRF/SRS  (Read 1593 times)

PaulZero

• View Profile
Healtech Brake Light Pro install on SRF/SRS
« on: July 02, 2020, 01:06:40 AM »

Anyone installed an aftermarket brake flasher like Gearbrake or specifically the Healtech Brake Light pro?
I noticed there are 4 wires to the brake light, I can understand having 3 but not 4, unless it’s a monitored light? Or maybe support for a regen flash versus physical brake application?
Anyone know what the wire layout is?

I assume:
Black = ground
Brown = 12v
White (red stripe) = not sure, shows 13.25v on meter
White (black stripe) = brake?  Shows 0, then 8v on brake depress.

I’d like to know the layout before I buy an aftermarket unit.

Thx,
Paul.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Re: Healtech Brake Light Pro install on SRF/SRS
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 11:05:27 AM »

Ahh... Yeah.

Ground
Power (usually from the power to the tail light)
Brake input
Brake output

Lemme find my gearbrake diagram.  I needed to dig it out since I was ordering the clips I needed.

Here we go:  https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0497/6973/files/Smart_Brake_Light_Module.pdf?16997016849763277021

So the Gearbrake has a different color set than yours, but that's the procedure.

-Crissa
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 11:30:36 AM by Crissa »
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

PaulZero

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 05:05:25 PM »

That makes sense.  Thanks Crissa.
Shame the Gearbrake isn’t sold in the UK where I am. The Healtech isn’t compatible with this return set up which I think is also referred to as ‘monitored’. 

MrBlc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 06:22:13 PM »

@PaulZero
Weird.. i'm waiting on a unit from them now and i'm even further away from GearBrake than you..
Granted, i suspect they are about to disappear from the internet. They are selling out their stock and i got the unit for $5..

PaulZero

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 06:33:41 PM »

@MrBlc - I’m jealous!  I missed out on that offer, they are out of stock now but in any event no dealers/distributors here in the UK. 😭

MrBlc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 07:08:21 PM »

@PaulZero
No.. it's still available:
https://gearbrake.com/collections/shop/products/gearbrake-smart-brake-light-module?variant=15412516099

You just need a PayPal account and a large amount of patience. All shipping internationally is super slow nowadays..

PaulZero

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 07:16:03 PM »

@MrBlc - thanks!
I just saw the Flashing unit, didn’t realise there was another.  Cheers! 👍

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2020, 02:33:37 AM »

I kinda wish I'd gotten the flashing unit now ^-^;

-Crissa
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 02:21:08 AM by Crissa »
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

MrBlc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2020, 12:56:59 PM »

@PaulZero
Anytime :)
Happy to help

gadgetgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2020, 12:29:58 AM »

I ordered a non-flashing GearBrake on 7/4, and it just arrived today. Now to figure out how to install it on my SF/F...

Thanks for the tip about their clearance prices. It looks like the gearbrake.com website is now gone.
Current: 2020 SR/F Premium Seabright Blue (J1772)
Former: 2011 VRSCDX Sedona Orange

DaveMplano

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2020, 06:35:10 AM »

Rather than cutting the bike wiring, see if you can get appropriate connectors to just plug it into the harness.  You may decide to remove the device or install something else.  If so, it is an easy job to just reconnect.  It is also nice when selling a bike to note that the wiring is entirely intact.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2020, 07:43:44 AM »

That's what I'm doing.  I don't think the manual has pictures of the F platform connectors!  So take pictures when you're in there ^-^

I got a few four-pin connectors like the three-pin brake connector to give a snap-in-place for the GearBrake.  The thread of my search for connectors is over here https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=10256.msg93243#msg93243 and I ended up buying them from Cycle Terminal.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Fernando

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2020, 07:32:04 AM »

Hi all.

First post in the forum... I'm also trying to install a GearBrake on an SR/F. Here's what I've learned so far.

A) Slightly different observation on black striped wire (measured from bike harness unplugged from brake light)
Black = ground
Brown = 12v
White (red stripe) = ~13.3v on meter (relative to black ground wire)
*White (black stripe) = 8v (relative to black ground wire) when brake level is released. 0v when brake is squeezed.
PaulZero can you confirm this on your bike?

B) The SR/F brake light connector is a four-pin AMP 1.5 Superseal Series Sealed connector. I sourced from CycleTerminal and have confirmed fit on the bike. http://www.cycleterminal.com/amp-superseal-connectors.html

C) GearBrake sent me a wiring diagram that only uses three of its four wires (blue goes unused):
GearBrake Green wire to bike ground
GearBrake Red wire to bike 12v
GearBrake Yellow wire to bike "brake signal"
GearBrake Blue wire unused

I've seen other GearBrake diagrams online that use all four...hard to know if they are different revisions or just different options for wiring.

My initial test on the GearBrake shows potential difference between the yellow and blue wires to be 0v when on a flat surface and ~8v when inclined. Seems opposite of what the SR/F brake lever signals to the brake light. Also seems to me that the GearBrake is more of an inclinometer and not an accelerometer. Before connecting to the bike I'll do some more testing but what would be really useful is a description/diagram of the GearBrake internal design/operation/logic...

D) SR/F turn signal connectors look to be the single wire Molex connector from the SDS platform as linked to by Crissa and as found in the unofficial Zero manual. I have yet to purchase the connector to confirm fit.

PaulZero

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2020, 03:52:23 PM »

Fernando - hi,
Yes that's the same I see on my SR/F.  Good work on finding the connectors. I wish I had found these before I cut my wires.  I fitted a Healtech which isn't compatible despite being told otherwise, it simply acts as a pass through with no function.  I have a Gearbrake in transit now.  I've put bullets on my wires so the device will be easy to add when it arrives, and I'll heat shrink over those.  I think you should add your post to the Zero unofficial manual Gen3 section, definitely better NOT to cut the original wires.
Have you got the 'flashing' Gearbrake? Is that the version that claims an accelerometer?  If it's an inclinometer then it would throw false positives - flash when on an incline? I've got the non flashing version on the way.
On turn indicators, yes, quite simple.  I replaced the parachute rear fender with a R&G tail tidy and retained the original indicators.  I may put in LED indicators later but there isn't a lot of space under the pillion seat for the relays.  I could remove the little storage insert I suppose.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2020, 09:31:39 PM »

It sounds like there's no additional relay required for led indicators, just a hidden setting in the F-platform software.

https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=9642.msg93417#msg93417

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5
Pages: [1] 2