• April 29, 2024, 04:52:25 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Zero insurance in the UK  (Read 348 times)

Beenay25

• View Profile
Zero insurance in the UK
« on: July 07, 2020, 06:51:02 PM »

Hi all,

I've just put down a deposit on a Zero SR and am really excited to get my hands on the bike.

Does anyone have any suggestions about insurance? (I'm in the UK)
So far I've tried dozens of companies but they all either won't touch the bike or will only insure it with a crazy excess (£1000+)
BeMoto have given the best quote so far with a reasonable excess value. But they want all sorts of security stipulations (such as keeping the bike in the back garden which is going to be a massive pain)

I've been riding 20+ years, have full no claims, never had an accident.

Any advice gratefully received.

(I know there have been previous insurance threads, but they seemed quite circular, didn't resolve much and haven't been commented on in over 8 months)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 07:07:03 PM by Beenay25 »

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Re: Zero insurance in the UK
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 07:10:38 PM »

...Because insurance is circular and things change and you should probably just use the existing thread and update with what companies you tried and what municipality you live in (since that also seems to matter)

No reason to reinvent the wheel.

-Crissa
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 08:38:38 PM by Crissa »
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 07:14:16 PM »

I'm with Lexham, the only company I could find that would give a quote on my 11kW model but I think I got a good deal. My first bike valued at £3000 was around £500 with I think £1000 excess at age 27 on L plates, my DS valued at £8400 is about £600 with £1000-1200 excess (depending on the reason for the claim) at 28 with 1 years NCB and still on L plates. They also did me a massive favour and insured me about 2 weeks before I had my NCB and then refunded me some money once I had it. The only stipulation I have is that my bike must have some sort of lock on it to be covered (the steering lock doesn't count) so I just stick a disc lock on it.

Obviously with more NCB, more experience, a full licence, and a greater age the yearly payment will go down but I don't know about the excess. My guess would be that it's based less on how likely you are to make a claim but rather the value and type of bike so in that regard it might not be any less for you, but at least it's not a payment that you have to make every year (or hopefully ever).

PaulZero

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 11:31:23 PM »

I’m Herts based and with Lexham as well. No one had heard of the SRF, Lexham looked it up whilst on the phone with me and gave me a cheaper quote than my old Tiger 1050. 😉👍.  They know electric bikes and they do have the SR listed on their web-quote.  They seem to be the ones to go to for E-insurance. 

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 11:43:40 PM »

Hey, I'm in Herts too. That's three of us on this forum now. Where'd you get your bike from? I got mine from Daytona in Ruislip.

PaulZero

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 12:42:39 AM »

Same!  😂👍
Good to hear they’ve sold a few.  Bodes well for after sales service. 

hotrob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 06:34:32 PM »

I bought a 2019 Zero SR about a month ago.  My previous bike insurance was through Bennetts so I arranged my insurance through them again.  They had to change insurance company, so I ended up being insured by AXA Insurance.  The premium was £227 (I'm 62 years old, comprehensive cover, protected no claims, legal expenses cover, RAC Breakdown Basic, personal accident cover, helmet and leathers cover, total voluntary and compulsory excess of £550).  The premium without the additional cover would have been £187.  For comparison, the renewal for my previous bike, a Royal Enfield Interceptor 650, was £118 (no extra cover).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 06:37:19 PM by hotrob »
Pages: [1]