• April 29, 2024, 01:27:35 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: S vs DS Dimesions  (Read 361 times)

dogzebra

• View Profile
S vs DS Dimesions
« on: July 08, 2020, 10:30:45 PM »

I'm a taller rider (6ft 2in) and have been looking at these model bikes. Obviously the first thought for taller riders is to go to the DS/DSR because of the higher seat height, but that doesn't cut it. You can have a 40in seat height, but if the ergonomics of the seat to pegs to tank, etc are all the same then seat height doesn't really play into your riding position which brings me to my question -

Does the S and DS share the same frame/dimensions? The pictures of both bikes look almost identical in terms of bike frame. Looks like wheel size, forks are what gives the DS its couple inches in seat height, but is the travel from seat to pegs the same on both? If so could you swap out the forks and pop a 19in wheel on an S and basically have a DS?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: S vs DS Dimesions
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 10:47:39 PM »

The SDS frames are identical as far as I've ascertained. There's a difference in rake, but that seems to be determined by the DS wheel size and front fork length, not a change in the head tube angle on the frame. The rear wheels are the same, but the kickstands differ.

The unofficial manual covers some broad ergonomic issues around the bikes: https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Ergonomics

The DS footpegs are, oddly, higher than S footpegs. I've replaced my DSR footpegs for S footpegs twice now just because they dig into my heel in a normal seated posture on the DSR. See https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Footpegs

Swapping the front wheel between S/DS models is possible but the brake discs and calipers will need swapping, too. I would think that just starting with S vs DS with an aim to swap the cheapest components possible would be smarter than trying to force an S to be a DS or vice versa.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 11:52:09 PM by BrianTRice »
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

dogzebra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 11:15:45 PM »

Thanks for the info and the links. Funny you mentioned the pegs - I was looking at the side by side thinking "is there less room on the DS because of the rubber pegs?" I guess that confirmed it.
I agree with your last statement, but I might be able to score a much cheaper S and the similar rider position makes it seem more logical now that I see they're close in frame dimensions. Thought maybe down the road I could swap a few things out to make it more like the DS which looks a bit prettier.
On a side note, I wish they had kept the 2012 DS design. 35in seat height and it looks like a proper dual sport.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 11:19:45 PM »

Brian, didn't you put a 17" front on your DS or was it just the low fender? From what I've read no one who has done the wheel swap on the DS has also mentioned changing the fork, the rotor is the same size and as far as I know the axle and caliper are also the same. What would be an issue is putting an FX fork on a DS (or swapping to the 21" wheel) as the rotors are different sizes, so at the very least it would require some caliper adapters.

Anyone know if the DS has higher rise bars? I can only find one listed on AF1 for the S/SR. Risers are also an option, including pivoting ones that would allow you to move the bars further forward if needed.

Dogzebra, have you considered an FXS? Little bit higher seat and has the looks you're after, the 7.2kW model would be a bit faster than a 7.2 S/DS. Of course if you're looking at 14.4 models then it's not really an option, also you have slower charging and give up some storage.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 11:22:30 PM by TheRan »

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 11:56:55 PM »

Brian, didn't you put a 17" front on your DS or was it just the low fender? From what I've read no one who has done the wheel swap on the DS has also mentioned changing the fork, the rotor is the same size and as far as I know the axle and caliper are also the same. What would be an issue is putting an FX fork on a DS (or swapping to the 21" wheel) as the rotors are different sizes, so at the very least it would require some caliper adapters.

Anyone know if the DS has higher rise bars? I can only find one listed on AF1 for the S/SR. Risers are also an option, including pivoting ones that would allow you to move the bars further forward if needed.

I made custom brackets so that the S/SR fender would fit above the DS/DSR wheel: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7d2e1a18d41cb5892bb98e6d/w/c0b68946f4cb5b2014c6ebb0/e/5ca1e267463a7847f28f7ff3

The fork does not need to be changed to swap the wheel. The OP suggested it, so I commented that way.

We really need to get a pair of S and DS handlebars side by side off the bike and measure them carefully to compare them right. I use Rox setback risers with my Hollywood Electrics / etc fairings on the DSR for clearance forward. But I do know that one of my ergonomic objections to the S handlebars is how close they get to the tank at full swing. I'm much more confident and comfortable using DS handlebars.

dogzebra

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 12:22:29 AM »

I would love the FX/S - its a beautiful and fun looking machine. Exactly what I want......... but that 7.2  >:(

Most of my riding is single lane highways and twisty roads. Hardly any city. I'll usually do a 60 mile cruise to relax. I think 11.4 minimum and ideally 14.4.

Yeah I've looked at Rox risers to put a couple more inches on the bars and reduce lean as long as the cables permit.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 12:51:24 AM »

The FX sits completely different than the S.  The S is heavier but easier to flat foot.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 03:39:38 AM »

Another solution would be to purchase an S and have someone make you a taller seat, by rebuilding the stock seat. Or you could buy a Corbin seat. Either of those choices would give you more legroom.  Also, you could go cheap and attach a seat pad, like an Air Hawk, or something similar, on the stock seat.  That would add a little bit of height, but having the stock seat reupholstered, would likely provide the best results for you.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

dogzebra

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 04:27:30 AM »

Yes, thats a great idea. I saw another tall rider thread where their test ride they tried to sit on the passenger seat on the DS and felt more comfortable. I feel like I'd probably feel the same. I've chopped up my saddles to make them more comfortable, but never tried to build one up.

The Corbin doesn't add any height unfortunately. There's a great company called Seat Concepts that provide the padding and cover for you to use on the original pan, but they don't make any Zero seats. I might send them a message to see if they would develop one.

I think the best design for a taller rider would going back to the 2012 design like this one:
https://www.kuer.org/sites/kuer/files/styles/medium/public/201209/2012-08-14%2013.39.26.jpg

I havent seen under a 2013+ S, but did they keep that frame design? It looks like to lower the seat, they kind of just sunk the saddle down, revealed more of the tank, and covered up the top part of the battery pack. I wouldn't mind at all exposing the top frame/pack like that to get that higher seat. It would be perfect.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2020, 04:41:34 AM »

You are likely going to have to send any custom seat builder your stock seat so that they can use your seat pan to build up a new seat for you.  Or you could look for a stock seat that someone has removed from their Zero so that they could install a Corbin, which comes with its own base. That way you could continue to ride your bike while the new seat was being manufactured for you. Sometimes that can take several weeks, depending on how busy the custom seat builder was.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2020, 04:44:06 AM »

The 2012 seat will not match any later model years. 2013-2020 SDS seats are interchangeable (https://zeromanual.com/wiki/SDS_Platform/Seat), and 2013-2020 XMX seats are interchangeable (and also match a Honda CRF-450 per https://zeromanual.com/wiki/XMX_Platform/Seat).

I recently had a local upholsterer remake my spare DSR seat from the pan to my specifications (I had a Corbin on my 2016 DSR but it went with the crash, and I'd rather re-use a spare seat than make a new one) and got a good result.
Pages: [1]