• March 29, 2024, 04:04:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: DSR - Is this the normal front pulley sound noise?  (Read 686 times)

KuRi

• View Profile
DSR - Is this the normal front pulley sound noise?
« on: July 08, 2020, 05:09:58 PM »

Hi!

I have just recorded an audio clip of my dsr front pulley/motor sound noise. I think that the noise has increased the volume and pitch for the last couple of months.

I have checked the belt because I adjusted it 4 months ago and it was running very smooth with no vibrations. It looked a little too tight (but inside specs) so I decided to loose it a little bit. Now it is only sounding when accelerating and not very noticeable when coasting, but still there.

Please take a listen and let me know what you think. The noise I am referrring to can be clearly heared at 3-12s and at 20-26s

Thanks
ZERO DSR 2020 - TOURING SEAT - TREKKER 52

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: DSR - Is this the normal front pulley sound noise?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 04:05:24 AM »

Check the front sprocket for debris, and try to spin the motor with the rear wheel up and possibly with the belt off the sprocket and set aside.

Relevant unofficial manual articles:
- https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Belt_Noise
- https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Belt_Groan_Sound
- https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Grinding_Sound_While_Riding
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 12:32:27 PM »

Thanks. Then do you think it is not normal? Could it be motor bearings?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 09:25:11 PM »

I think you should perform the checks I’ve suggested.

It could just be dirt. Or it could be a bearing. There’s no way I can responsibly tell you anything about this audio sample except to keep monitoring and try to isolate the cause.

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 10:17:48 PM »

I have washed and cleaned all the transmission elements (front pulley, belt and rear pulley). At first I had the classic groan that you get with the wet belt... Then I waited for it to dry completely but I think the original noise of the audio clip is still there... (maybe less noticeable?). It can be a normal noise, because I remember hearing something similar when I bought the bike new 6 months ago. My main concern is that it was not so noticeable.

I know that I should try to spin the pulley with the bike lifted up but I have no stand so no way to do it easily :(

I would like to know if you can hear something similar in your bikes when coasting or when keeping a constant low speed. Very much appreciated xD

I will go to the dealer next week. At least I can try other DS bike to compare. Thanks
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 10:21:06 PM by KuRi »

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 11:04:31 PM »

Okay, I'll be as precise as I can be about an audio sample I've heard over the internet:

The volume and pitch are fine. I'm only responding to a slight "raspiness" which may or may not be a real issue.

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 12:13:53 AM »

Agree with Brian here, very difficult to describe and evaluate from a recording. Doesn't sound too off. Only that rasping like sound could be an issue but then I would expect something to be visible on the belt or the sprockets to explain this. So double check visually.

Something else you could do is get a new belt, doesn't hurt to have a spare anyway. Try the new one and if it remains you at least can exclude the belt.
2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2020, 02:53:07 AM »

I am concerned about the 'rrrrrrrrr' sound that can be clearly hear at the times above specified. Sorry I am not english so I don't know what "rasping" or "raspiness" is :D

The noise speed is directly related to the rpm's of the front pulley and it is very noticeable when keeping a low velocity (20-30 km/h) with a little push of the throttle.

I cannot see anything damaged or even chipped at the sprockets or belt. If you think that a video or any other test (without having to disassemble anything yet) can help you diagnose the problem, please let me know.

Thanks for your help.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2020, 11:19:23 AM »

Raspy would be like the sound a hasp makes or running your hand along the ends of straw.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5
Pages: [1]