• April 29, 2024, 07:32:08 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Crouching on Zero DS/DSR  (Read 355 times)

Electric_Adventures

• View Profile
Crouching on Zero DS/DSR
« on: July 16, 2020, 01:49:59 AM »

Hey everyone, I’m a new Zero rider (specifically a 2017 Zero DS) and after riding for a few days it has become highly apparent that it is impossible to crouch over on a Zero DS for longer than about 10 mins without fatigue.  Has anyone created any mods or seen aftermarket parts that can make riding in a crouch easier on these models?
2017 Zero DS ZF13.0

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Crouching on Zero DS/DSR
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 03:29:57 AM »

Crouching is generally going to be harder on your body than not.

I've been advised (by a motorcycle-riding chiropractor) and done better when I crouch by exercising my core muscles, using my abs to support myself and trying to shift weight from the seat to the footpegs.

The Zero tank is exceptionally low compared to most gas bike tanks, so resting on it is not an option for most people. The SRF/SRS have a more robust tank shape for crouching/tucking.

I have been a TechSpec tank grip user on both my V-Strom and the Zero for ergonomic reasons, using my thighs to support my lean (or control the bike's lean) and also a crouch when that seems suitable.

Ultimately, I install a large windscreen and try to gently hang back on the handlebars so my head is behind the airflow of the screen.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 03:44:05 AM »

I find if I dish my back while crouching, I have better stamina.

But no, the S-platform bikes are not freeway-comfy for larger people ^-^

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 03:46:00 AM »

You could also install a large tank bag on your "tank" if you are looking for a way to take the pressure off of your body while crouching. However, as Brian says, installing a windshield might be the better option. I suspect that a windshield might provide better aerodynamics than crouching.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: [1]