• April 29, 2024, 02:20:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Battery increased SOC!  (Read 389 times)

hotrob

• View Profile
Battery increased SOC!
« on: October 10, 2020, 10:19:22 PM »

I charged my SR to 80% today, then about 30 - 45 minutes later (I think) I started the bike to go for a ride, and it was indicating 85% state of charge.  So it had gained 5% of charge while not plugged in!  I can only guess that the battery may have cooled slightly in that time, which affected it's estimate of SOC, but I'm still surprised it would indicate 5% more.  The electric cars that I have had have never done that.  I've had the bike since June and this is the first time that it's done that.  Is it normal for Zeros to do that?

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: Battery increased SOC!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 10:49:17 PM »

I charged my SR to 80% today, then about 30 - 45 minutes later (I think) I started the bike to go for a ride, and it was indicating 85% state of charge.  So it had gained 5% of charge while not plugged in!  I can only guess that the battery may have cooled slightly in that time, which affected it's estimate of SOC, but I'm still surprised it would indicate 5% more.  The electric cars that I have had have never done that.  I've had the bike since June and this is the first time that it's done that.  Is it normal for Zeros to do that?
My SR did that when it was new, if I stopped within around 15 minutes of a full charge. It doesn't do it any more. Often, I would stop at a SOC of 95% at a nearby restaurant stop. When I came back out, perhaps 30 minutes  later, my SR SOC would be at 100%. 

I really didn't think anything of it.  I never bothered to see if the battery voltage was really higher than it was at 95% when it indicated 100%. 

The 2nd 100% went down to 95% a lot faster while riding than the first time. So there is no realistic gain--or at least  not much.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

enaef

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 10:52:40 PM »

I think I have observed an increase in SoC in my SR/F due to raising ambient temperature, from a rather fresh morning at ~12 degree C to ~25 degree in the afternoon with the sun shining directly on the bike / battery.
2019 Zero SR/F Premium & Rapid Charger

hotrob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 10:17:43 PM »

Thank you for your replies.  I'll assume that there's nothing wrong with the bike.  I was wondering if maybe it was getting confused by a bit of cell imbalance, because I've not charged to 100% the last two or three times (not that that should make too much difference anyway - I rarely charge my cars to 100% and they don't get confused about SOC).  So I'll just try to enjoy the bike before the winter weather sets in - roll on summer, again!  :)

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 01:33:06 PM »

Cell voltage rebound is a thing.  You'll see it most when you're somewhere the temperature changes  drastically, too.  And of course, when your battery is dying or old (but then you'll see if lose percent SoC.). But a few up or down is normal.  Or even a dozen once in awhile in weather or long storage.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5
Pages: [1]