• April 29, 2024, 08:44:06 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Max speed limit  (Read 1194 times)

gt13013

• View Profile
Re: Max speed limit
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2020, 06:53:20 AM »

In Europe ,we have drivers licenses for 125 cc motorcycles with a max power of 11kw.
Zero has some models (S DS FX FXS ) with software that limits the performance of the motor to fit the regulations for those licences, so people that don t have the full drivers licence can ride a zero. There is also an other limit of 35kw in some european countries .
The idea is that motorcyclists can t start on a powermonster without experience but have to learn step by step .
The difference between the 11kW models and the other models is the engine temperature threshold from which the power becomes limited. But as long as the engine has not reached this temperature threshold, the 11kW models have the same power as the non limited models. For instance, my 11kW FXS delivers 33kW until the engine becomes too hot.
Zero S 2023, Zero FXS 2016

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2020, 04:22:20 AM »

In Europe ,we have drivers licenses for 125 cc motorcycles with a max power of 11kw.
Zero has some models (S DS FX FXS ) with software that limits the performance of the motor to fit the regulations for those licences, so people that don t have the full drivers licence can ride a zero. There is also an other limit of 35kw in some european countries .
The idea is that motorcyclists can t start on a powermonster without experience but have to learn step by step .

You might find this review of the 2020 Zero S interesting - if you can stand the reviewer's odd way of speaking and delivering his message. He claims that the Zero S can be ridden without a full motorcycle license: 
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2020, 05:17:42 AM »

That's a clickbait title if I've ever seen one, an A1 or A2 licence is still a licence. Hell, even in the UK where you don't even need an A1 licence you still need a provisional driver's licence.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2020, 06:52:43 AM »

That's a clickbait title if I've ever seen one, an A1 or A2 licence is still a licence. Hell, even in the UK where you don't even need an A1 licence you still need a provisional driver's licence.

You are right. Clickbait for sure. But his video was dumped into my lap by YouTube so I had to watch it.  ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2020, 01:27:08 PM »

Richard, what does the S's status as a learner-okay bike have to do with max speed limits?

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2020, 07:13:31 PM »

Richard, what does the S's status as a learner-okay bike have to do with max speed limits?

-Crissa

I was responding to the comment about the power and speeds of 125cc bikes. I was surprised to hear that riding an "S" only needed a low-power (learner?) motorcycle license in Germany because of its claimed 14hp instead of a license that would allow you to ride a more powerful bike, which is apparently much more expensive and difficult to obtain in that country. This is in spite of the S having 1000cc-level torque and a much higher top speed that 125cc ICE models. I assume this is due to the way continuous EV power is measured vs peak ICE power, which places it under 125cc regulations. I thought that was interesting and worth discussing.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2020, 10:44:18 PM »

Ahh.  Yes, that's the entire point of the S model, I think.  As someone who learned on an S, I think it's perfect for learners.

There are some very fast 125s out there, and I think some 250s qualify as learners in some places (that's what they use in the motorcycle courses here).

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2020, 03:27:08 AM »

Ahh.  Yes, that's the entire point of the S model, I think.  As someone who learned on an S, I think it's perfect for learners.

There are some very fast 125s out there, and I think some 250s qualify as learners in some places (that's what they use in the motorcycle courses here).

-Crissa

But you won't find any ICE 125ccor 250cc motorcycles that have anything like the instant torque of the Zero S. That is what got the reviewer in trouble since the S doesn't have traction control and he spun the rear wheel when riding over a drainage grate and almost dumped the bike. That could be a problem for even an experienced rider, which he said that he was, much less someone who is learning how to ride.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2020, 06:50:22 AM »

No newbies are going to have that problem of an ICE rider, though.

They'll learn the right way the first time... They won't have all that clutch time baked in with that laggy response.

I have never, ever managed to make it slip when I didn't mean to.  You really have to park it on gravel and yank on the throttle in sport to do it.  My spouse has totally spun out, tho.  But like the reviewer and every other person I've met who has had it bite them:  They've decades of experience on ICE bikes under their belts.  And not just a few years, but decades, every one.  It seems to be a certain amount of experience that does it.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2020, 07:33:19 PM »

No newbies are going to have that problem of an ICE rider, though.

They'll learn the right way the first time... They won't have all that clutch time baked in with that laggy response.

I have never, ever managed to make it slip when I didn't mean to.  You really have to park it on gravel and yank on the throttle in sport to do it.  My spouse has totally spun out, tho.  But like the reviewer and every other person I've met who has had it bite them:  They've decades of experience on ICE bikes under their belts.  And not just a few years, but decades, every one.  It seems to be a certain amount of experience that does it.

-Crissa

It happened to me once while accelerating around a tight freeway on-ramp with a small amount of drizzle on the concrete pavement.  The problem with the Zero is that it has no flywheel effect as you might expect on an ICE motorcycle to slow the rapid and sudden spin-up of the rear wheel on a slippery surface. If you had been riding for five decades like I have, you don't expect such a quick and violent reaction when the rear wheel looses traction. That can certainly catch your attention, especially when the entire chassis will rapidly shake at the same time. I cut the throttle as soon as I felt the wheel loosing traction, but I just wasn't fast enough to prevent the experience and sensation that I had never had before. So here is another vote for Zero to put traction control on all of their models, including the "legacy" versions.
Pages: 1 [2]