• April 26, 2024, 04:19:08 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Gurgling "water cooler bubble" noise from rear brakes?  (Read 663 times)

geijuutsuka

• View Profile
Gurgling "water cooler bubble" noise from rear brakes?
« on: July 28, 2020, 11:07:38 AM »

2018+2019 SR's tested:

I posted this on the FB group as well, but want to cast as wide a net as I can to see if this is a common issue and to hopefully get some suggestions on how to fix:

When coming to a stop using the rear brake (or a mix of front/rear) the rear brake makes what I can only describe as a "water cooler bubbling" noise.  If I go to a parking lot, then do a number of hard test stops, it will silence the issue for most of the ride that day, but will return eventually, usually on the very next ride.  It's loud enough to hear through earplugs under a helmet and it's frankly embarassing since the the bike is so lovely and quiet the rest of the time.  Someone on the FB group called it a turkey gobble, I can see that as well.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

-Cheers

Curt

• View Profile
Re: Gurgling "water cooler bubble" noise from rear brakes?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 11:32:15 AM »

At one point my rear brake sounded like a Star Trek computer that is calculating something. It doesn't anymore. I wouldn't worry about it. Count your blessings if your front brake doesn't sound like a banshee siren. :)

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 02:09:50 PM »

I have the same "problem" from day zero (no pun intended xD). I asked the dealer and said it was normal... I have been through 5+ motorcycles and never experienced this...

Lately I also notice a small clack when braking hard (both brakes). Not very happy with the braking power of the zero dsr :(
ZERO DSR 2020 - TOURING SEAT - TREKKER 52

TNCreator

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 03:31:17 PM »

I had this problem, really obnoxious, I tried to not use the rear brake in town only to avoid this noise.

Changed the pads for a set of fa213hh from EBC and they are silent !

(I already answered on FB but I think this is worth sharing here too)

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 07:01:51 PM »

My previous bike (2016 DSR) made this noise entire time I had it.  Very strange sound!  I never figured it out and just learned to ignore it.

My SR/F does not make the noise.

FYI, I am not all that happy with the SR/F's rear brake, it really seems weak to me (that's about my only complaint on the bike after 6000+ miles).  The front brake is great.

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

vinceherman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 08:12:09 PM »

I am not all that happy with the SR/F's rear brake, it really seems weak to me
+1 my SR/F brake has always made me feel underwhelmed.
I think I need to turn off traction control and test it to see if that is the issue.
Sorry for the tangent conversation to the original thread.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 08:25:07 PM »

My guess is that changing the pads to an aftermarket version and cleaning your brake disc thoroughly might solve your problem. But first make sure that the caliper contains the anti-rattle spring at the top of the caliper that exerts pressure on the top of the brake pads. You can verify that the spring is there in seconds by just looking through the top of the caliper. When you do that you should see a horizontal flat metal part and not the top of the brake pads.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: [1]