• April 28, 2024, 11:01:56 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2016 FX Chain Kit  (Read 555 times)

evmachina

• View Profile
2016 FX Chain Kit
« on: August 09, 2020, 06:42:39 AM »

Anyone mounted the chain kit on a 2016 FX? I'm having a hell of a time with the front sprocket installation. Appreciate any tips.

stargazerinwg

• View Profile
Re: 2016 FX Chain Kit
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 08:26:44 PM »

Installed it on my 2017.

Did you see this:
https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Chain_Kit

What issue or problem are you having?

evmachina

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 02:22:28 AM »

Yeh I saw that page and watched that video.

I couldn't get the sprocket on the 2016 is a different mount pattern. It's a clean circle with a square key on the side and is quite deep same as the belt pully. So I got it on with a hand press and then the motor wouldn't run.

I took it to Zero dealership and I was told the dealer need to change something in the software if you install a chain kit, which leads me to wonder why then do they sell a chain kit direct to customers, and also my motor is now bricked so I need a whole new motor.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 02:32:21 AM »

The software adjustment isn't strictly needed, it will mostly be done to correct the speedo reading (the gearing with the chain kit is different to the stock belt pulleys) and make sure any speed limit set will be the actual speed. I assume it will also adjust the low speed torque limiting if that's based off the speedo reading and not just off the wheel speed sensor. That's if Zeros even have a separate wheel speed sensor on the rear wheel (never bothered to check), if they don't and they use the motor speed (what determines the speedo reading) then the software adjustment would also be needed for ABS to work correctly.

For putting the new sprocket on I would use the retaining bolt to press it on if it's that tight a fit, you don't want to be applying an axial (sideways) load to a motor.

Auriga

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 06:29:26 AM »

I couldn't get the sprocket on the 2016 is a different mount pattern. It's a clean circle with a square key on the side and is quite deep same as the belt pully. So I got it on with a hand press and then the motor wouldn't run.

I took it to Zero dealership and I was told the dealer need to change something in the software if you install a chain kit, which leads me to wonder why then do they sell a chain kit direct to customers, and also my motor is now bricked so I need a whole new motor.

Zero doesn't sell directly to customers. I imagine you got your chain kit through AF1/another dealer or from someone else who did. Besides driving sales to dealers, Zero tends to say that most parts should be installed at a dealer. I believe the chain kit is one of them, precisely because you can ruin your whole motor and it requires a software change to correct the odometer and speedometer.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 10:40:11 AM »

And besides, changing the software isn't much work if you have a friendly dealer.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Gains

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 12:55:18 PM »

Speed sensing comes from the motor.  The sensors on the wheels are only for ABS.
Software changes shouldn t be that importend

evmachina

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 01:52:07 AM »

I "purchased" off the Zero website which yes did involve getting kicked to a dealer. Kit came with no documentation so I sourced what I could find online (these is an excellent install video but it's for a 2017) no where in the process did Zero or the dealer say "hey you can brick you motor pretty easily doing this" so IMHO Zero could do a little better on this front. I'm not saying it's their fault clearly it's my fault it's just nice when you get some degree of support.

Zero doesn't sell directly to customers. I imagine you got your chain kit through AF1/another dealer or from someone else who did. Besides driving sales to dealers, Zero tends to say that most parts should be installed at a dealer. I believe the chain kit is one of them, precisely because you can ruin your whole motor and it requires a software change to correct the odometer and speedometer.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 02:36:17 AM »

Well, you can break anything you're taking off or touching on the bike.  It's not like you can't break engines when you're futzing around with sprockets, either.  There's always a way for things to go massively wrong!  Even if it's unlikely, there's a way.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Auriga

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2020, 03:53:10 AM »

I "purchased" off the Zero website which yes did involve getting kicked to a dealer. Kit came with no documentation so I sourced what I could find online (these is an excellent install video but it's for a 2017) no where in the process did Zero or the dealer say "hey you can brick you motor pretty easily doing this" so IMHO Zero could do a little better on this front. I'm not saying it's their fault clearly it's my fault it's just nice when you get some degree of support.

This is definitely a weakness. Ideally the dealer you ordered from would communicate with you. The plus side is that you can get most parts to install yourself. They should probably have some warning about only recommending install at a dealers on the website.
Pages: [1]