• April 28, 2024, 11:30:26 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Charging issues  (Read 506 times)

AdEPT Erik

• View Profile
Charging issues
« on: July 25, 2020, 04:10:05 AM »

HI FOlks, although this may have been covered somewhere else my searches of the site have not covered my exact symptoms to the best of my knowledge . First, let me say this seemed to start after I tried plugging in my cord while the key was on. Then, when I took it out immediately recognizing my mistake, the green charging light kept goign and did not go off when I turned off the key and back on again. I later tried to charge as normal. This corrected itself after one ride and I was able to charge to 100%. BUt now this time when I plug in there is no recognition of having plugged in on the board, and I do hear a continuous recurring click lke something is trying to connect but just doesnt. SInce it appeared to be fixed before, I dont want to book an appointment that is weeks and weeks behind. One issue I suppose is that my Tesla is pluggied into the same socket at itmes and I have overloaded the breaker at least once by foolishly testing what would happen if I tried charging both at once. I stopped trying to have these things plugged in together even though I am careful to never charge them at the same time. Nothing was awry after all this as this was mponths ago. I am cognizant of the three prong grounding plug issue in the manual but dont have an adapter to try and this has never been an issue for me previously. I rode a whole seaons with my Tesla charging and there were no issues the whole of last year.

THis is a 2016 FX and I have had no charging issues that were not fixed by simple fixes on this site so hoping for the best this time as well.

Thanks
Erik

TheRan

• View Profile
Re: Charging issues
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 04:24:24 AM »

Charging while the bike is keyed on isn't an issue and won't cause any damage. Neither will trying to charge it along with the Tesla on the same circuit, the worst that will happen is you'll trip a breaker but once that's reset everything will work fine. The clicking you're hearing is the contactor, basically a switch that closes to connect the battery to the rest of the bike.

Do you get any error codes on the dash? You might need to key the bike on to see them, not sure if they show when charging but keyed off. 44 and 45 are to be expected, for the kill switch and kickstand. If there are no codes then you'll need to download the logs via the app.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 04:35:49 AM »

Yeah, what TheRan said ^-^

You want to make sure your bike gets charged as soon as possible - at least between 30-60 if the charger isn't working.  If it's below 30, the battery runs the risk of being damaged from storage.  A dealer should have a supplemental charger to stabilize the battery in such a case.

Battery chargers are, well, fickle.  Some individuals last forever, some don't, and if you read around the boards here some specific Zeros seem to kill their chargers.  (And if you've ever paid attention to those public charging stations, well, they die all the time.)

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

AdEPT Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 04:51:14 AM »

Charging while the bike is keyed on isn't an issue and won't cause any damage. Neither will trying to charge it along with the Tesla on the same circuit, the worst that will happen is you'll trip a breaker but once that's reset everything will work fine. The clicking you're hearing is the contactor, basically a switch that closes to connect the battery to the rest of the bike.

Do you get any error codes on the dash? You might need to key the bike on to see them, not sure if they show when charging but keyed off. 44 and 45 are to be expected, for the kill switch and kickstand. If there are no codes then you'll need to download the logs via the app.

I get no error codes which is why I am hopeful a quick fix might be posssible. I ammostly wondering if anyone has ever heard the symptoms I speak of where the dashborad does not light up at all yet there is a recurring clicking sound?

Yeah, what TheRan said ^-^

You want to make sure your bike gets charged as soon as possible - at least between 30-60 if the charger isn't working.  If it's below 30, the battery runs the risk of being damaged from storage.  A dealer should have a supplemental charger to stabilize the battery in such a case.

Battery chargers are, well, fickle.  Some individuals last forever, some don't, and if you read around the boards here some specific Zeros seem to kill their chargers.  (And if you've ever paid attention to those public charging stations, well, they die all the time.)

-Crissa

Thanks Crissa, I am at 70% now so if it looks like I have to go in I wont ride it much until then. :(
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 04:54:07 AM by AdEPT Erik »

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 06:15:24 AM »

The problem with symptoms of a failing charger is that they're so inconsistent.  No error codes is good!  There's probably some in the log, but... Sounds like just the charger.

Good luck!  And glad you caught it before discharging down.  I know I'd be in for an expensive tow if that happened.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

AdEPT Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 02:04:47 AM »

The problem with symptoms of a failing charger is that they're so inconsistent.  No error codes is good!  There's probably some in the log, but... Sounds like just the charger.

Good luck!  And glad you caught it before discharging down.  I know I'd be in for an expensive tow if that happened.

-Crissa
Crazy thing is I unplugged everything then uggsx in the cord and voila it clicked properly and charged to 100% then I charged my car and now the same issue.I think the charger may be deteriorating but can t be sure. Guess I'll have to take it in.😟

TEV

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 04:13:51 AM »

-Crissa
Crazy thing is I unplugged everything then uggsx in the cord and voila it clicked properly and charged to 100% then I charged my car and now the same issue.I think the charger may be deteriorating but can t be sure. Guess I'll have to take it in.😟

I believe that you should be more specific about where/how do you plug . Are you using a Tesla charging station with an adapter?  Can you check the AC voltage at the connector that plugs in the charger? Can you plug in a different outlet?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 08:05:47 PM by TEV »
2019 ZERO DSR
2020 ZERO FXS

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 05:09:31 AM »

It is possible that the charging station is faulting somehow.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5
Pages: [1]