• April 28, 2024, 02:25:16 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Any fenders like this for sale in the USA?  (Read 724 times)

church

• View Profile
Any fenders like this for sale in the USA?
« on: July 23, 2020, 07:36:18 AM »

Looking for a fender like this for my 2016 DS. I took the OEM tail section off and water gets whipped up on the tail section and my back.

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Any fenders like this for sale in the USA?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 07:45:36 PM »

I first saw one of those things when I bought my 1977 BMW Funduro. In those days we called it a "possum scraper" and removed it as soon as possible. They are currently making a comeback on many new European motorcycles and personally I hate their looks. The recent ones that I have seen are now being used to support a license plate, with its little light and sometimes also a tail/stop light, and of course the associated wiring.  I hope Zero doesn't decide to adopt that design in the future.

However, in response to your question: I bet a used one could be found in a salvage yard, assuming you could find one with a mounting system that would work on your Zero.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 09:19:21 PM »

I really like them, they're clean and don't spoil the curve of the back tire while reducing spray.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 09:47:19 PM »

I hope Zero doesn't decide to adopt that design in the future.
Have you not seen the SR/F and SR/S? They're not going to stick them on the S/DS line unless they radically change the design but if they build anything else based off the SR/F platform it will probably have it along with the short tail.

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 10:18:16 PM »

I don't mind the look. My BMW R1200 GS has it in all plastic, no electronics.

My SRF has it holding the license plate but I relocated it so I could also relocate the wire running that way. In the SRF it's a plastic part mounted on steel tubing so kind a heavy. Had it completely removed but then your back is all wet when riding in rain so had to put it back on.
2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---

Gains

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 02:34:42 AM »

I made this rear wheel hugger to keep my back clean. I like it more and it also keeps the motor , controller and rear suspension  clean.
I have made some for others too ,but I live in Begium not in the us.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 03:06:51 AM »

I made this rear wheel hugger to keep my back clean. I like it more and it also keeps the motor , controller and rear suspension  clean.

I like that design much better than the short ones that are just positioned at the very back of the rear wheel. Those don't do a thing to keep gorp off of your passenger's back while riding on wet or dirty streets.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 02:02:00 PM »

@Gains that and you have a full fairing!? Is that made from composite material? Can you share here or contact me with more details? Did you make anything for the SRF yet?

(also from Belgium btw)
--- Belgium ---

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2020, 05:25:06 PM »

WOW!  That is some impressive work.  The fender AND the full fairing!  That fairing is even nicer than the one Hollywood Electrics sells for the S/SR/DS/DSR bikes.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Gains

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2020, 11:26:54 PM »

My fairing has alteady been discussed in pics and vids zero srsuperbike
No i haven t made anything for the srf yet.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 11:35:55 PM by Gains »

MrBlc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2020, 01:12:54 PM »

Also in Europe, i would be interested in getting my hands on that rear wheel cover..
I was currently contemplating making my own cover to mount on the current tail "arm" to reduce the spray i currently get..

Apparently i live in a country Zero didn´t account for when it comes to rain, and i get more wet in the back than the front when riding in rain.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2020, 07:45:09 PM »

Also in Europe, i would be interested in getting my hands on that rear wheel cover..
I was currently contemplating making my own cover to mount on the current tail "arm" to reduce the spray i currently get..

Apparently i live in a country Zero didn´t account for when it comes to rain, and i get more wet in the back than the front when riding in rain.

Zero used to sell a small splash protector that fitted under the license plate holder of the "legacy" models. It included three replacement red reflectors. The price was very reasonable, something like $25, and it was easy to install. You might want to investigate if they are still offering that accessory, or something like it. I bought one from my dealer and it works quite well, especially considering the low price.  :)

Or if you want to get creative, you could make a rear fender splash guard by using a universal rubber car mud flap, cut it to shape and fasten it to the license plate holder using zip ties, or something similar. That is what I did to make a larger rear fender for my BMW R1200RS. (They have an official BMW splash guard that will fit the bike, but for some reason they will not sell it in the U.S., only in NZ.  ??? )
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 07:50:14 PM by Richard230 »

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2020, 01:22:05 AM »

This is the topic Gains referred to with more pictures of his awesome work https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=10193.0

My fairing has alteady been discussed in pics and vids zero srsuperbike
No i haven t made anything for the srf yet.
--- Belgium ---
Pages: [1]