• April 27, 2024, 03:02:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Double charging speed of UK/EU Zero SR/F on single phase  (Read 722 times)

Ronhogwarts

• View Profile
Double charging speed of UK/EU Zero SR/F on single phase
« on: August 05, 2020, 02:45:47 AM »

I've made a type 2 cable modification for the SR/F premium in EU/UK that now allows charging at the full 6kW on a normal 7.4kW single-phase supply! For some bizarre reason, and unlike almost any other EV, Zero split the two 16A chargers across the first two phases without the ability to stack on the first phase, which means without a modded cable you could have a 6kW bike and be stuck charging at 3kW as you only have single-phase supply at home or on trips, which is painfully slow. With this mod, a full charge takes 2 hours rather than 4 :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jD23W1NhvFKauVQq9

remmie

• View Profile
Re: Double charging speed of UK/EU Zero SR/F on single phase
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 05:02:04 AM »

The reason Zero configured it this way is not that bizar :)

It is only applicable (the bizarreness) in the UK where there are lots of chargers with single phase 7.4kW (32A) because the infrastructure of (domestic?) buildings is mainly single phase. 3 phase is less common (at least that is what I hear in reviews and posts). There obviously are 3 phase fast/rapid charging stations in the UK (22kW, 32A per phase) but far less than single phase. Also home chargers are often 7.4kW single phase because of the single phase supply to the building.

In the rest of Europe the infrastructure is mostly 3 phase so the predominant configuration on charging stations is 3 phase 22kW (32A per phase). In The Netherlands there are even far more 3 phase 11kW (16A per phase) than 22kW 3 phase charging stations. Home chargers are either 3 phase 11kW or single phase 3.6kW.

To make the second charger in the Zero (automatically) switch between single phase 7.4kW and 3 phase (11 or 22kW) takes hardware (which can fail) and software (which can fail as well :) ) to develop for a basically a single market (UK). hardware and software cost money, so not really that bizar IMHO. Or Zero just looked up "mains infrastructure Europe", found 3 phase supply and divided the 2 chargers on phase 1 and 2.  8)

In the US it is a totally different story because there is no 3 phase system for charging stations, everything is single phase. So in the US both the chargers on the Premium SR/F and SR/S are connected to that single phase (different cable).

Car manufacturers do make the distinction between the UK single phase infrastructure and the European 3 phase because when looking at ads for EV's for the UK or European market you will often see that a UK EV has a 7.4kW charger on board while the European version will have an 11kW charger on board. But car manufacturers have lots and lots more sales, R&D and everything. Zero is a great company and I absolutely love their bikes but as a company they are still pretty small.

By the way, do you have a picture of the finished connector with the switch, including the inside ?

Current : Red Premium Zero SR/F (ordered May 25, delivered August 23 2019) with Rapid charger for 12kW charging
Former : White Zero SR 2018 ZF14.4 kWh (17.500 km)
Former : Black Zero SR 2014 ZF11.4 kWh (25.000 km)
SR's outfitted with Homemade "Supercharger" 6x eltek Flatpack S (12 kW)

remmie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 05:08:57 AM »

Here's a Facebook post/discussion about the same topic

https://www.facebook.com/groups/zmcowners/?post_id=2502528043149722

Current : Red Premium Zero SR/F (ordered May 25, delivered August 23 2019) with Rapid charger for 12kW charging

MrBlc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 12:57:59 PM »

Being in .no, i´ve often pondered the same.. We use a 3-phase system these chargers don´t support. Having access to one-phase 32A would be more flexible and desirable.
I´m currently pondering how to solve something similar on a DSR with the 3x diginow setup (using 2 chargers in parallel on one phase)

I can access WAY more free chargers this way and also utilize much quicker charging at home..

PaulZero

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 07:16:00 PM »

I've made a type 2 cable modification for the SR/F premium in EU/UK that now allows charging at the full 6kW on a normal 7.4kW single-phase supply! For some bizarre reason, and unlike almost any other EV, Zero split the two 16A chargers across the first two phases without the ability to stack on the first phase, which means without a modded cable you could have a 6kW bike and be stuck charging at 3kW as you only have single-phase supply at home or on trips, which is painfully slow. With this mod, a full charge takes 2 hours rather than 4 :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jD23W1NhvFKauVQq9

This is one mod I will be doing to my cable for sure.  Thanks Ron!  ;D

Ronhogwarts

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 04:22:31 AM »

The reason Zero configured it this way is not that bizar :)

It is only applicable (the bizarreness) in the UK where there are lots of chargers with single phase 7.4kW (32A) because the infrastructure of (domestic?) buildings is mainly single phase. 3 phase is less common (at least that is what I hear in reviews and posts). There obviously are 3 phase fast/rapid charging stations in the UK (22kW, 32A per phase) but far less than single phase. Also home chargers are often 7.4kW single phase because of the single phase supply to the building.

In the rest of Europe the infrastructure is mostly 3 phase so the predominant configuration on charging stations is 3 phase 22kW (32A per phase). In The Netherlands there are even far more 3 phase 11kW (16A per phase) than 22kW 3 phase charging stations. Home chargers are either 3 phase 11kW or single phase 3.6kW.

To make the second charger in the Zero (automatically) switch between single phase 7.4kW and 3 phase (11 or 22kW) takes hardware (which can fail) and software (which can fail as well :) ) to develop for a basically a single market (UK). hardware and software cost money, so not really that bizar IMHO. Or Zero just looked up "mains infrastructure Europe", found 3 phase supply and divided the 2 chargers on phase 1 and 2.  8)

In the US it is a totally different story because there is no 3 phase system for charging stations, everything is single phase. So in the US both the chargers on the Premium SR/F and SR/S are connected to that single phase (different cable).

Car manufacturers do make the distinction between the UK single phase infrastructure and the European 3 phase because when looking at ads for EV's for the UK or European market you will often see that a UK EV has a 7.4kW charger on board while the European version will have an 11kW charger on board. But car manufacturers have lots and lots more sales, R&D and everything. Zero is a great company and I absolutely love their bikes but as a company they are still pretty small.

By the way, do you have a picture of the finished connector with the switch, including the inside ?

All good points, but for the sake of a single relay I really think they should have made the effort for the UK market. Pictures here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/jD23W1NhvFKauVQq9

remmie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 04:31:53 AM »

I feel your pain LOL, BUT....

Then we wouldn't have the satisfaction of modifying stuff and "beating the system" one way or the other.  ;D
That does give a good feeling  8)

remmie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 04:23:14 AM »

The problem with three phase 16A and single phase 32A charging is not only restricted to Zero's. see the attached warning from I guess Peugeot UK to their dealers about charging the E208.

They are effectively saying the same BUT they have an option to choose between single phase 7 kW and three phase 11kW. A choice we (or rather you UK guys) do not have because it is not offered by Zero.
Pages: [1]