• March 28, 2024, 07:35:19 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FXS with a charge tank ?  (Read 531 times)

Breezey

• View Profile
FXS with a charge tank ?
« on: August 18, 2020, 02:39:19 AM »

Hi gents, based in the UK

New here, dont own a Zero yet but have been heavily researching, going to my local dealer tommorow to hopefully have a look. Im after an FXS but the charging concerns me 650w onboard charger is a no from me, we are in 2020 not 2000. Ive seen lots of options from using a couple of the Delta-Q Quiq 1kw chargers in a top box, to elcon units also in top box. ive got a few questions if you guys wouldnt mind helping me out.

1) Any reason the charge tank charger from an SRF etc couldnt be used if mounted in a top box on the back?

2) The auxillary charger connector, whats this rated for? ive not found any wiring diagrams for the bike as of yet curious if this can just be left connected to the charger all the time or requires disconnecting and reconecting everytime?

What im aiming to do is get somewhere around the 6-7kw range of charge to utilise the growing type 2 charge posts here in the UK and europe, from what ive read this should be fine with the battery as it will be around the 1C rate and give a full charge from empty in around an hour.

Thanks guys

Ben

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Re: FXS with a charge tank ?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 02:57:26 AM »

Didn't we just have this question?

A) Charge Tank is designed for a larger battery.  It won't be plug-and-play.
A1) The SR/F uses different connectors.
A2) The programming may be different.
A3) It's not a cheap option.

B) The quick chargers can be stacked like that, yes.
B1) https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Zero_Quick_Charger
B2) It would be heavy.
B3) You have to manage load balancing and cooling yourself.
B4) This gets you ~5kw charging for ~72lbs?

The X and F platforms use different electronics that may not play nice with each other.  Third-party chargers can be used, though you will have to manage the charger station communication protocols yourself.

-Crissa

Yes, we did have this discussion.  There are links to third-party chargers in here, I think.  https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=9202.0

The question does bring up that it would be cool to have such an augment as a 3 or 7 kw tail charger for the X and S platforms, but who would buy it aside from you, me, and probably Brian?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 03:07:39 AM by Crissa »
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 03:07:25 AM »

I'd buy and much rather have a 6kW charger in a top box or pannier. Get to keep my tank storage compartment and only need to have the extra weight when I want to go longer distances. I'm really surprised Zero themselves haven't come out with a faster external charger instead of recommending people stack 4 Deltas, hugely space and weight inefficient and $2400 or whatever for 4kW is ridiculous (not including the cost of the splitter cables and all the storage needed).

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 03:09:36 AM »

Isn't a charge tank $2k?

I'd buy them if they were panniers or something I could plug and play.  Drop them on for going over the hill, or to the aquarium.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Breezey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 03:15:55 AM »

Didn't we just have this question?

A) Charge Tank is designed for a larger battery.  It won't be plug-and-play.
A1) The SR/F uses different connectors.
A2) The programming may be different.
A3) It's not a cheap option.

B) The quick chargers can be stacked like that, yes.
B1) https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Zero_Quick_Charger
B2) It would be heavy.
B3) You have to manage load balancing and cooling yourself.

The X and F platforms use different electronics that may not play nice with each other.  Third-party chargers can be used, though you will have to manage the charger station communication protocols yourself.

-Crissa

Yes, we did have this discussion.  There are links to third-party chargers in here, I think.  https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=9202.0

The question does bring up that it would be cool to have such an augment as a 3 or 7 kw tail charger for the X and S platforms, but who would buy it aside from you, me, and probably Brian?

Hey Crissa :)
Thanks for your quick reply, i have trawled the forum for the last 25 pages couldn't see anyone asking so my apologies if i missed it. i have read the type 2 thread but didnt seem to be anything in there of any substance.

I get the charge tank is based on a 14.4kwh pack but without looking into the voltage etc im gonna assume its still 116v just double the capacity? which would mean it would still work if it was canbus compatible ? the attraction is its all in one package im more than happy to go for aftermarket if i get get a 6kw single unit, im not keen stacking chargers as its extra weight unnecessarily in my eyes.

Connectors and cooling etc would be no problem im an Electrician :) with comercial water-cooling experience so i may be temted to go down this route when i find a charger that will do the job.

the charger parameters are 116v and must be switch mode i think i read?

cheers

Ben

Breezey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 03:17:26 AM »

Isn't a charge tank $2k?

I'd buy them if they were panniers or something I could plug and play.  Drop them on for going over the hill, or to the aquarium.

-Crissa

yea its not cheap but cheaper than 4 deltas and 50% more power is my thinking :)

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 03:17:57 AM »

It's a $2.5k add-on option on the Zero site, not sure how much it is to buy separately though and have it fitted. For 6kW it's a bargain compared to 4 Deltas, that option only really makes sense if you have an FX/S or a Power Tank.

Breezey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 03:21:54 AM »

It's a $2.5k add-on option on the Zero site, not sure how much it is to buy separately though and have it fitted. For 6kW it's a bargain compared to 4 Deltas, that option only really makes sense if you have an FX/S or a Power Tank.

Its $2.5k as a kit including the tank for the SR/F so wondering if it can be purchased seperatly for less, ill find out tommorow.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 03:34:05 AM »

Its $2.5k as a kit including the tank for the SR/F so wondering if it can be purchased seperatly for less, ill find out tommorow.
You don't need to look for an SR/F one by the way, they also make them for the S/DS models. Not only will it be easier to find there's more chance of it working as they're the same generation and I imagine the communication is the same.

Have you considered just getting an S with a power tank instead, or do you specifically want the charger to be removable? They also come in 7.2kW/h and only weight about 10kg more and you get a storage compartment to chuck some cables in.

Breezey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2020, 03:37:45 AM »

You don't need to look for an SR/F one by the way, they also make them for the S/DS models. Not only will it be easier to find there's more chance of it working as they're the same generation and I imagine the communication is the same.

Have you considered just getting an S with a power tank instead, or do you specifically want the charger to be removable? They also come in 7.2kW/h and only weight about 10kg more and you get a storage compartment to chuck some cables in.

Everything points toward an S but i like the more upright position which the FXS has, i will try a couple tommorow and we will see. i will find a 6kw charger we can use though and a suitable box with cooling etc its what i do i find things haha.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2020, 03:48:23 AM »

Turns out AF1 has the charge tanks available for $2410, however shipping is going to cost quite a bit and they say they won't work with Euro bikes for some reason. A Zero dealer in the UK should be able to give you a price though, I haven't bothered asking yet.

https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=3351&description=2014%2D2020+S+%2F+SR+Accessories

The charge tank has its own cooling fan so you'd just need to open whatever box you store it in when charging, or put some ventilation holes in it.

Breezey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2020, 04:02:24 AM »

Turns out AF1 has the charge tanks available for $2410, however shipping is going to cost quite a bit and they say they won't work with Euro bikes for some reason. A Zero dealer in the UK should be able to give you a price though, I haven't bothered asking yet.

https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=3351&description=2014%2D2020+S+%2F+SR+Accessories

The charge tank has its own cooling fan so you'd just need to open whatever box you store it in when charging, or put some ventilation holes in it.

Ideal, well up for a project so i will do some more investigating tommorow and see if this is a viable option. In my logical mind i cant see it not being an option might just need a contorller to addapt the comminucation hopeflly not though.

Im hoping its available without the tank, throw on a type 2 connector and we are away! rapid charging, just needs a box and some way of cooling. Probably opt for some kind of waterproof grill so the box can stay closed. it looks so much smaller than anything aftermarket!

Breezey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2020, 04:11:39 AM »

Worst case even a 3kw charger is better than the crap thats installed!

Breezey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2020, 02:43:43 AM »

mini update, found the OEM for the chargers now just to source one and have a play, the 6kw looks rather bulky so it looks like 2 x 3kw would be easier to place, anyone get the download links working > tried a few browsers but nothing works.

https://www.smpct.com/products/automotive-chargers/

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2020, 04:15:42 AM »

There's no link rendered on their page at the download button.

I'd have to look closer at the code to see what's broke.  Hmm.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5
Pages: [1] 2