• April 29, 2024, 05:00:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Diagnostics without dealer?  (Read 409 times)

eddiebee

• 2015 DS
    • View Profile
Diagnostics without dealer?
« on: August 16, 2020, 09:22:35 PM »

I have a 2015 DS that has an intermittent problem with the electrical system resetting, the bike shuts off as if you quickly turned the ignition key off-and-on, power comes back after 4 or 5 seconds.  It's almost caused me to fall a few times while maneuvering the bike and suddenly losing power, and it's happened while in the middle of an intersection, luckily no cars were coming!

The dealer and zero factory said I need to bring the bike in, but I'm thousands of miles away from a dealer. Is there any way to log in via RS-485 or OBD to see what's going on?

TEV

• View Profile
Re: Diagnostics without dealer?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 09:36:05 PM »

Can you download the bike logs over Bluetooth with the Zero app? (Not sure if possible for that year)

If not, start checking the "ignition " switch,  and the wires/plug, coming from it. Measure the switch with a multimeter,  see if it's showing 0 ohms.
2019 ZERO DSR
2020 ZERO FXS

Olle

• View Profile

PVNRG

• 2021 EGO+ RS 2016 DSR
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 05:39:36 AM »

It is possible to see the logs by connecting via the UART pins on the OBD2 connector with a USB to serial cable using terminal software such a putty. You can save your terminal session to a file to then look through the logs. If the zero app cannot download the logs then I suggest doing this if you want to get the logs.
Hunter

2021 Energica EGO+ RS

2016 Zero DSR
37k miles August 2020
Consumed 3 sets of tires and 3 belts so far.

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 06:49:22 AM »

I have a 2015 DS that has an intermittent problem with the electrical system resetting, the bike shuts off as if you quickly turned the ignition key off-and-on, power comes back after 4 or 5 seconds.  It's almost caused me to fall a few times while maneuvering the bike and suddenly losing power, and it's happened while in the middle of an intersection, luckily no cars were coming!

I have a similar issue with my 2016 DSR.
Fortunately mine (so far) manifests while backing out of the garage with a full lock (left?) of the bars. 

I have a 2003 BMW R1150RT that had an intermittent open on the hot wire coming into the ignition switch. 

Hard/impossible (for me) to troubleshoot while extremely intermittent.
The Zero is my daily rider so eventually the intermittency (hopefully) will increase/last long enough to track down without stranding me. 
Eric
2016 Zero DSR
Pages: [1]