• April 25, 2024, 07:30:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New rider, can't decide.  (Read 1016 times)

mathandmetal

• View Profile
New rider, can't decide.
« on: September 08, 2020, 07:43:53 PM »

Hi all,

I'm 49 and I'd never ridden until I decided to purchase a CSC City Slicker last year.  That has a top speed of 46 mph which I seldom hit because the battery drains very, very quickly at max speed.  I've enjoyed it a lot but only being able to squeeze about an hour for a joy ride while mostly staying to 35 mph roads has paled already.  I would have had a lot of riding it into work this summer, except I've worked from home.  So I'm considering getting a Zero for my coming birthday :)

I've been thinking the SR because it has the most range, but I'd love to hear other thoughts.

Zero's web site is not very helpful; it seems to focus on things like power and "coolness" that I don't care about, and it assumes everyone is a motorcycle veteran so no talk at all of why I might was a DSR vs an SR, etc.  From other reading, I gather I'd want the DS line if modest off-roading would be my riding.

That's hard to say since I'm a new rider.  I know I want to go on joy rides for 2-4 hours as I would in my car, but on a motorcycle instead :)  That requires good range.  This seems to narrow it down to the SR, SF/F, SF/S or DSR.  Then my thoughts are:

SR - Most range, period.  What's not to like about that?

DSR - Having the option for modest off-roading seems to be a good thing, but what's the down side if I end up never using that option?

SR/F vs SR/S - The windshield seems the main difference, right?  I'm unsure about a windshield.  It seems to me that would be worse for 85F+ riding in the summer, although better for 50F riding.  And it might make 40F bearable?

I'm in Western PA outside of Pittsburgh, so there is a lot of hills to be had.  I prefer scenic back roads over highways for that.  While those roads tend to have speed limits of 45 MPH or less, at least some portions of 55 MPH highway riding is necessary to get to some nice spots.

I know Zero is marketed as a powerful bike, but it seems to me the torque and speed can be scaled back with the app to be appropriate for this fairly new rider, yes?  Then I can push it forward as I gain more confidence.

Finally, I'm 5'11" at 180 lbs and a 33" inseam.

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: New rider, can't decide.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 08:19:12 PM »

With your 33" inseam, a DSR might be the ticket as it will provide a more comfortable seating triangle and your legs will not be as bent as they would be on the other Zero models. If you don't need the power, you can save some money by buying a S/DS model. I have found that my S has more than enough performance than I need under any type of normal riding.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 11:19:11 PM »

The F platform, SR/S and SR/F, will want to stay on pavement; the S platform, the DSR and SR, can do a little offroad, and is lighter.

The X platform is smaller again, but unless you stay offroad, it has the least range.

So really the question probably is, how many potholes and gravel lanes do you want to go through rather than around?  The SR wants to always go around potholes, but is okay with the best gravel lanes.... but  the DSR is okay with going through them.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Auriga

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 12:52:20 AM »

The FST platform bikes(SR/F,SR/S) have a few more niceties. Faster chargers, traction control, better suspension, better aerodynamics(especially on the SR/S) scheduled charging, more power, better dealer maintainability, better thermal management. Plus I suspect any major charger/battery upgrades to be coming to that platform or bikes based on it.

In any case, I'd find a Zero dealer with the bikes you're interested in and try it for yourself.  :)

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 01:57:30 AM »

With your 33" inseam, a DSR might be the ticket as it will provide a more comfortable seating triangle and your legs will not be as bent as they would be on the other Zero models. If you don't need the power, you can save some money by buying a S/DS model. I have found that my S has more than enough performance than I need under any type of normal riding.
The DS actually has slightly higher pegs than the S so his legs would be a bit more bent, but not a huge difference. The seat is a bit higher but that's due to the greater suspension travel, with a 33" inseam I imagine he'd be able to flat foot it (I'm on my toes at 30") so no issue there.

The disadvantage of the DS if you're staying on the road is the tyres won't have as much grip as those on an S and they will reduce range slightly. Of course you can change the tyres but that's additional cost, and with the larger 19" front wheel you have less options for pure road tyres.

Unfortunately for 2-4 hours riding at those sort of speeds you're going to be looking at a 14.4kW/h model, and because you're American you can't get the 14.4 S/DS but instead have to pay extra for the R model.

Windshields can be added to the S/DS models if you want some protection from the elements, and it will also increase your range. Not sure if there's one specifically designed for the SR/F (probably is) but a universal one is also an option. In addition to the fairings the SR/S also has different ergonomics (some say more comfortable) with lower foot pegs and higher bars, although you could put those on the SR/F if you wanted.

valnar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 10:07:15 PM »

I think Zero may(?) be announcing their 2021 models soon, so you might want to wait until then if you're not in a hurry.  Being in Pennsylvania, your riding season is coming to an end anyway.  You're in the perfect spot.  Either get a deal on a year-end bike from your dealer (if there are any available), or wait until Spring when the new lineup comes out.
Zero FXS 2020

EDoggN

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 04:58:57 AM »

I am anxiously awaiting the new models. Hoping they do it soon. I’m either going to get a LiveWire or SR/S.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 05:14:54 AM »

AF1 said September 15th is when dealers will be told about the new models so you shouldn't have long to wait.

mathandmetal

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 08:27:22 PM »

That date tracks with when the https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/custom/cash-for-carbon promotion ends...

mathandmetal

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2020, 08:50:29 PM »

The FST platform bikes(SR/F,SR/S) have a few more niceties. Faster chargers, traction control, better suspension, better aerodynamics(especially on the SR/S) scheduled charging, more power, better dealer maintainability, better thermal management. Plus I suspect any major charger/battery upgrades to be coming to that platform or bikes based on it.

In any case, I'd find a Zero dealer with the bikes you're interested in and try it for yourself.  :)

Ah, yes, reading about the advanced traction controls does seem to make that a plus in my book, especially as a novice rider who doesn't intend to push any envelopes.

The closest dealer is about an hour away.  I'd stopped there last year to search for some riding gear to go along with the "baby" CSC City Slicker I was buying (mail order), but when they found I wasn't going to buy more than just some riding gear, they were not very helpful.  In spite of the fact I'd mentioned I'm a first-time rider, no one even came over to help at all with selection of gear even after I stood looking for 15 minutes.  It's not like they were busy - saw folks just standing around.  So I went elsewhere to find some proper gear.

Hopefully they will be more helpful if you're looking to buy an actual bike, but we'll see.  I had to go renew my motorcycle training permit yesterday, as I rather doubt they'd let me test ride anything using an expired training permit.  I was scheduled for the PA motorcycle training and licensing exam for this year, but that program was cancelled by PA for now.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2020, 09:00:38 PM »

Yeah, I got more help from the parts and service guys than the salesfloor people in every dealership I've been into.

Only Cyclegear had people who wanted to help me with gear, and I mostly wished their aisles were labeled.

I suppose it's a perverse incentive of commissions?  I dunno.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

EDoggN

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2020, 06:18:43 AM »

Do you get a charging cable with purchase of a new SR/F?  I watched  some You Tubers  say its not included.

ricku425

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2020, 08:22:00 AM »

Do you get a charging cable with purchase of a new SR/F?  I watched  some You Tubers  say its not included.

I just picked up a new SR/F a week ago. It came with a charging cable. It's got a dual plug adapter that adapts to either a 110v or 220v outlet. I'm in Chicagoland.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2020, 09:31:01 AM »

I just picked up a new SR/F a week ago. It came with a charging cable. It's got a dual plug adapter that adapts to either a 110v or 220v outlet. I'm in Chicagoland.
Can you please tell me how many amps it is rated at?  I have been curious about that. It should say on the back.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

ricku425

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2020, 03:51:22 AM »

Can you please tell me how many amps it is rated at?  I have been curious about that. It should say on the back.
Looks to be 12A at 110 and 16A at 220?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 03:54:07 AM by ricku425 »
Pages: [1] 2