• April 29, 2024, 05:57:45 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: SR/F hesitation stall issue  (Read 692 times)

Auriga

• View Profile
Re: SR/F hesitation stall issue
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2020, 02:09:16 AM »

I think they may be stalling you.  Evacuation orders were lifted a week or so ago, and Zero support has remained available throughout. I'd call Zero Technical Support and take your bike to the dealer(or maybe a different dealer). They should be able to help and poke that dealer. They're the same people I call when I need Zero to discuss a repair.

Still sounds like a motor mechanical issue or an issue with motor synchronization. Not really anything to do outside the dealer

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2020, 03:07:00 AM »

Some of us still aren't home, but nearly all the evacuation orders have ben lifted.  We've even had a couple days of vaguely-breathable air.

But they're still probably behind.

Did you managed to get your dealer to at least observe the issue or give yu a comparison?

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2020, 08:31:20 AM »

It's good you can rule out ambient temperatures.

Does someone with a Gen3 SR/F or SR/S care to comment about taking off a wheel to check bearings? Have done it for a Gen2 DSR, it's super simple and should be part of periodic maintenance to inspect bearings anyways. That's a part you can easily replace.

Dealers are not obligated to provide a Zero loaner bike but with this kind of issue you'd be wise to spend your energy making that happen instead of (what amounts to) side-stepping the dealer to interact with Zero Motorcycles directly. Contrary to how you might typically handle problems of a technical nature when you are capable and able as a technical/mechanical minded person it's a small company and they don't have resources to interact with customers, that is the reality, and for better or for worse it's why they have an authorized dealer network. There is also not much incentive for dealers to play endless phone tag with Zero Motorcycles and fix bikes under warranty. Keep playing "spin the wheel" between dealers until you link up with a dealer willing to loan a bike and fix yours.

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2020, 10:31:37 AM »

* I have next to no first hand experience with Zero motos or their drivetrain, reply is based on my EV experience *

Motors used in EV moto use position sensors to provide feedback to the controller about where the rotor is in reference to the energized coils of the stator.
This is used to calculate slip angle and adjust which coils are bring energized.

When this position is being reported incorrectly, stutters or inconsistent power delivery can be experienced at low speeds.
This issue can sound like damaged bearings.

If you are familiar with RC quads, planes or cars they use brushless motors that are sensorless, because these vehicles rarely see low rpm or high torque requirements it's not an issue.

Hardware issue would be my first guess but it's possibly a software one, seems there is some tuning (commissioning) that can be done.
On the physical side I would examine the plugs exiting your motor, it is possible one of the pins is not making good contact?
Also worth checking is your throttle assembly, I have seen one issue with the throttle unit used on the SR/F where the sensing magnet inside was broken in 2 pieces.

Pages: 1 [2]