• April 24, 2024, 12:04:27 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: FX Front Sprocket  (Read 332 times)

stargazerinwg

• View Profile
FX Front Sprocket
« on: September 28, 2020, 07:18:48 PM »

I have the chain kit on my 2017 FX and wanted options on the front sprocket.  After contacting several sprocket suppliers, JT sprockets told me they supply front sprockets to Zero; didn't know if anyone else was also supplying them and they do not supply rear sprockets.  Look closely at the chain kit front sprocket and you'll see it has the JT logo and is marked 565.  Here's a link to their JTF565 sprockets:

http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/part/JTF565SC/

And to their spec drawing:

Sunstar told me their 325xx matches the JTF 565.

I put a 14 tooth on mine for street use and now the gearing is very close to stock and the speedometer is only off by a little.  I'll just keep the chain on now and not switch back to belt and pulley for street use.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 10:35:04 PM by stargazerinwg »

Eccelerate

• View Profile
Re: FX Front Sprocket
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 08:17:06 AM »

On my 2020 FX the front sprocket "shattered" according to the dealership, which caused damage to the splines on the motor output shaft, and necessitated a motor replacement.  Fortunately it was covered under warranty, but makes me wonder if this could happen again once the warranty has expired.  I don't see any markings on the front sprocket, but there are no holes drilled like in your JT diagram.  Has anyone else had their sprocket fail on a new Zero FX?  It broke when I drove over a small pothole.  I upgraded to the chain kit after the belt broke when I fell in some sand.  I thought the chain would hold up to dirt riding, but mine didn't last more than a month.  The new sprocket has a couple months of riding on it, so maybe it is better, but maybe I should put an aftermarket sprocket on that has a good reputation.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 09:44:08 AM »

Has anyone ever had one shatter before?  I've heard of it happening to other bikes before... Even bicycles... But I only know one other report of a sprocket shattering, and well, that guy reported a history of just beating bikes to death ^-^;

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

stargazerinwg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 01:26:02 AM »

The front sprocket in my chain kit was JT - looks just like the diagram except 12 teeth.   Maybe Zero has other suppliers.  I had about 100 hours of off road/dirt bike use when I changed the sprocket and the wear was easily noticeable but it was still serviceable.

I have never known of a sprocket to shatter.

Know it is off topic but, the swing arm bearings are toast now and need replacing.  As discussed elsewhere on the forum, they are a problem.  I'm hoping better quality bearings packed with good grease will help longevity.  Most bearing suppliers don't properly lube the bearings and it is unlikely Zero would have done so either.
Pages: [1]