• April 24, 2024, 02:07:48 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2016 Zero SR High Throttle Error (0001)  (Read 752 times)

Alian

• View Profile
2016 Zero SR High Throttle Error (0001)
« on: October 01, 2020, 01:08:54 AM »

Hello,

I'm trying to troubleshoot my 2016 Zero SR based on a High Throttle Error which is giving me fault code 0001 and having the warning light flash once and then flash three times.

When I initially turn the bike key on, I get the error code for the kickstand being down and the kill switch being engaged (44, 45). Once I disengage the kill switch and lift the kickstand, I get the high throttle error and the bike won't accelerate at all.

What I've found is if I twist the throttle and hold it while I turn the bike on and lift the kickstand, I won't get the error code but the bike still won't accelerate after I release the throttle and twist it again. The only change is that the error code is gone. The error code comes back if I turn the bike off and then back on again.

I've checked the first connection that leads from the throttle down into the wiring harness and I made sure it was tight. I've contacted Zero customer service and they said based on my logs and information provided that I may have an issue with my throttle or drivetrain system. They told me I'd have to take it into an authorized Zero dealership to have them run some diagnostics on it but I would rather not pay $150 just to have them tell me what was wrong. I was hoping I could figure it out with some of your guys' help.

So what do you all think? Initially, I was leaning towards getting a new throttle and wiring it up because that's what I feel has gone bad. But if anyone has a different view or any other advice I would very much appreciate it.

This is also my first post here so if I left out some information or if I did something wrong, let me know and I can fix it.

Thanks,

Alian

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: 2016 Zero SR High Throttle Error (0001)
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 03:18:34 AM »

You might want to check out the Zero S 2013 acceleration thread below should you decide to replace your throttle assembly.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Alian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 05:27:43 AM »

You might want to check out the Zero S 2013 acceleration thread below should you decide to replace your throttle assembly.

So I checked out the thread you mentioned and found the link to https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Unofficial_Service_Manual#Throttle which said that 2015+ uses the Bitron Throttle which can't be easily replaced by Domino. So I guess my question is, if I wanted to replace the throttle, is that something that I am even able to do? Have other people replaced their throttle with a different one on the 2015+ models?

Edit: So I found this online just now. Looks like the right part. I'm not sure on how much these things usually go for but does this seem like an average price? https://www.af1racing.com/OEM-Zero-Throttle-Sensor-ZM45-08039
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 05:36:06 AM by Alian »

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 06:17:28 AM »

So I checked out the thread you mentioned and found the link to https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Unofficial_Service_Manual#Throttle which said that 2015+ uses the Bitron Throttle which can't be easily replaced by Domino. So I guess my question is, if I wanted to replace the throttle, is that something that I am even able to do? Have other people replaced their throttle with a different one on the 2015+ models?

Edit: So I found this online just now. Looks like the right part. I'm not sure on how much these things usually go for but does this seem like an average price? https://www.af1racing.com/OEM-Zero-Throttle-Sensor-ZM45-08039

AF1racing typically sells their parts at the official Zero prices. That does seem like a lot for a throttle assembly, but Zero appears to price their parts more reasonably than do other motorcycle ICE brands. So I doubt that they are charging you much over their low-volume supplier's cost. If that part was being sold by BMW or Royal Enfield, I bet it would cost much more. Try comparing a BMW drive belt for the GT with the cost of a Zero drive belt and you will see an example of this.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Hero on my Zero

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 05:56:21 PM »

Had míne replaced by a local dealer and paid more or less the same price as what was stated on the AF1racing website. Had to pay for labor and hauling the bike as well of course.
I think it is easy to do yourself.
Pages: [1]