• April 27, 2024, 02:44:07 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Front brake micro switch replacement under warranty  (Read 1324 times)

PaulZero

• View Profile
Front brake micro switch replacement under warranty
« on: November 08, 2020, 08:24:36 PM »

Hi all,

Have any European Zero owners had any issues getting a replacement front brake lever micro switch?  I have a 2019 SRF and the switch failed on mine back in June this year.  The dealer has stated they are still awaiting stock from Zero.  I noted that lots of the Zero range have this issue and there appears to be no mention of a major delay in getting them resolved under warranty.  Can anyone shed any light on this?  Is it just me (one off) or perhaps my dealer?  I am UK based.
Alternatively any advise on whether I could source a replacement elsewhere?

Cheers,
Paul.

Hans2183

• View Profile
Re: Front brake micro switch replacement under warranty
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 09:27:59 PM »

No mention of a recall either here but it was replaced under warranty after failing within the first 1.000 km first checkup period.

Hasn't been replaced or broken since then having done 12.000 km so I guess it was replaced with a better part. Very likely that mine broke due to water damage.

It's a very cheap and easy to replace part in case you rather do it yourself.
2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---

PaulZero

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 01:24:48 AM »

Thanks Hans,

Any idea where to source one from?  Do you know what the OEM part is?

Paul.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 04:47:08 AM »

I can't recall seeing a post here about the micro switch failing before.  ??? I have owned three Zeros and have never had the switch fail so far.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 04:57:07 AM »

AF1 racing has a digitized version of the Zero SRF parts catalog on their webpage.
https://www.af1racing.com/2020-Zero-SRF-Spare-Parts-Catalog
Looks like the part number for the front brake switch is 25-08164. No idea if they have one in stock but that number might help you find one in Europe.

Can you take a photo of the switch on your bike?
The small drawing in the catalog makes it look like a pretty standard micro switch, might be some compatibility with other brands parts.

An alternative solution till you can source the stock switch would be to install on of these Pressure Switch
Just make sure you get one with the right thread pitch.

PaulZero

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 06:22:32 AM »

I can't recall seeing a post here about the micro switch failing before.  ??? I have owned three Zeros and have never had the switch fail so far.

Hi Richard, do a search for ‘brake switch’ and you’ll get quite a few, and some of those posts reference other threads reporting the same issue.

PaulZero

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 06:30:11 AM »

Demoni - hi,

I haven’t taken the switch out of the lever housing yet as it’s in daily use. But if I can replace then I’ll do just that to compare.  I thought I’d check if someone else has done so already.
Thanks for the digital parts catalogue link.  That’s handy. 

A pressure switch is something that could be handy.  Arguably a better long term solution. 

Cheers!

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 07:51:06 AM »

Hi Richard, do a search for ‘brake switch’ and you’ll get quite a few, and some of those posts reference other threads reporting the same issue.

I just did a search for "brake switch" using the search feature at the top right of the forum screen and I didn't see any references other than the posts on this thread.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

ms_smart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 06:44:31 PM »

I had the exact same problem. My dealer was able to source the part in ~1 week. This was 6 weeks ago. Please also look at . This is in German, but at Minute 5:45, you will see the part. Zero Pioneer replaced the part on his own. This is really not rocket science. I think he also got the part in about a week.

References in this forum are: https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=9245.msg80920#msg80920 as well as  https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=10099.msg91247#msg91247. I have not read about problems to source the part.

Demoni

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2020, 01:25:01 PM »

I haven’t taken the switch out of the lever housing yet as it’s in daily use. But if I can replace then I’ll do just that to compare.  I thought I’d check if someone else has done so already.

So ms_smart's video shows the switch at the 6:05 mark. Micro switches are normally just off the shelf items that are integrated into products.
Did a bit of research and it looks like Burgess makes that switch (or that switch is a clone of a Burgess one).

Appears they were used by Brembo and found on Moto Guzzi and Ducati bikes.
Link 1
Link 2

Not sure if the connectors will match up. The other thing you might want to confirm is if the switches are NC or NO.

** moderator edit: repair URL hyperlinks
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 10:02:48 AM by Shadow »

PaulZero

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2020, 09:51:20 PM »

Thanks for the help Demoni & ms_smart.

Demoni, those links don't have a URL for some reason.  Maybe my browser, I'll try again later this evening.

I just spoke with the dealer and they are ditching the Zero franchise because of a number of serious warranty support issues.  They are still awaiting the switch for my bike along with other customer parts.
It doesn't appear to be a widespread problem (dealers getting Zero support), maybe it's dealer specific?

I'm going to go ahead and source/replace it myself and pray I don't get more fundamental issues with the bike as my "local" dealer is >100 miles now.  :(

Paul.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2020, 02:39:43 AM »

Thanks for the help Demoni & ms_smart.

Demoni, those links don't have a URL for some reason.  Maybe my browser, I'll try again later this evening.

I just spoke with the dealer and they are ditching the Zero franchise because of a number of serious warranty support issues.  They are still awaiting the switch for my bike along with other customer parts.
It doesn't appear to be a widespread problem (dealers getting Zero support), maybe it's dealer specific?

I'm going to go ahead and source/replace it myself and pray I don't get more fundamental issues with the bike as my "local" dealer is >100 miles now.  :(

Paul.
Another guy was asking about a Daytona alternative and I listed a couple for him, there's quite a few that should be within your range and closer than 100 miles. Zero has a dealer locator on their site in case you didn't know.

https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=10590.msg97890#msg97890
https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/locator/

PaulZero

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2020, 07:44:04 PM »

Right,

Thanks everyone for the help. I have a new switch.   ;D
Just realised how simple this is to replace.

Next question please.  Does anyone know what torx bit size the two little screws are that fit the micro switch?  They are smaller than a T10 and possibly smaller than T8.  I’ve checked the unofficial manual but alas no entry yet for the micro switch replacement. 

Cheers,
Paul.

Demoni

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2020, 02:01:09 PM »

Glad to hear you got a replacement switch.

Don't have a Zero so I can't check the size of torx driver you need.
I would say just pick up a small size torx bit set. The style that fit a 1/4 driver are only a few bucks.

If you have a set of calipers you can measure the bolts (see attached image)
Pages: [1] 2