• April 26, 2024, 01:31:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What size are FXS handlebar mounts?  (Read 581 times)

domingo3

• View Profile
What size are FXS handlebar mounts?
« on: November 15, 2020, 04:58:46 AM »

OK.  I know this is a dumb question. What size are the handlebar mounts on a 2018 FXS?  I need to get something to stop my hippo hands from pressing the brake.  The were fine from their own stiffness last winter, but now press a little over 65 mph. I was thinking about the on linked below.  It comes in 7/8 or 1 1/8 bar mounts.  I measured my bike and it looks like the end of the bar is about 7/8, but further in it seems thicker.  I don't know what the measurement refers to for bar mounts, and didn't get less confused  searching.

I would appreciate if anyone could enlighten me.

Yes, the Zero handguards are expensive, but they are very well made, look good, and are guaranteed to fit.  If you're looking for a less expensive alternative, I had the Tusk D-Flex  handguards on my FXS and they seemed to fit fine.

$50 at Rocky Mountain ATV
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/tusk-d-flex-handguards-p

PS - if you decide to go with the Tusk handguards make sure you order the D-Flex and not the D-Flex Pro.  The D-Flex have the articulating swivel type connector where it attaches to the bars which you need in order to be able to adjust for the right position.  The D-Flex Pro has a fixed connector.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

TheRan

• View Profile
Re: What size are FXS handlebar mounts?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 05:39:33 AM »

The bar diameter is 28.6mm at the clamps and 22mm at the grips, with a taper between. For those hand guards you'll need to buy the larger 1 1/8" clamps and put some tape or rubber between the clamps and bars to accommodate the taper.

Not really sure what issue you're trying to solve though. Are you say you rest your fingers on the front brake lever, and at higher speeds the wind is forcing your fingers to press the brake? If that is the case then to be honest I really don't think you should be riding a bike if your hands are that weak. Also even if you eliminate the wind I imagine going over any sort of bump is also going to result in you pressing the brake.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 06:14:16 AM »

If the wind is pressing the brake or pushing the cold hand guard against the hand, I don't think any amount of hand 'strength' is involved.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 06:22:11 AM »

Not really sure what issue you're trying to solve though. Are you say you rest your fingers on the front brake lever, and at higher speeds the wind is forcing your fingers to press the brake?

Hippo Hands https://www.hippohands.com/ are covers to keep your hands warm when riding in cold weather. It sounds like the issue is the material is flexing when the bike is at speed, folding in and contacting the front brake lever.

As TheRan posted your bars taper from 1 1/8" at the clamp to 7/8" where the controls attach. The inner mounting clamps need to match the taper of your bars in order to securely attach. As each moto manufacture can have slightly different tapers to their bars this can make finding a set of handguards a bit hit or miss.

It looks like https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/pro-taper-brush-guard-kit?sku_id=1658512 makes a universal kit that might work for you?

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 06:35:53 AM »

Oh, I didn't realise hippo hands were a product and figured it was some sort of slang like meat hooks or mitts.

How are those things attached to the bars currently? From the images on the site it looks like they have a metal bar that attaches to the end of the handle bars that then runs in front of the brake lever, the same as the frame on hand guards.

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 05:30:15 AM »

Thanks all. 

TheRan, the Hippo Hands attach just with Velcro and snaps.  They are fairly rigid - there must be some plastic sandwiched inside. The manufacturer recommends handguards or the like to prevent levers from being pressed.  The rigidness was enough to keep them off the levers for about 10 years with my first pair.  This second pair that I bought was fine last winter, but is starting to press the brake lever a little bit recently.  I can hold off with my fingers extended, but that's not the best solution. 

Pro tapers look good, but I'm a bit concerned about whether they will fit.  I've read about others that didn't have enough clearance for the brake reservoir, so I wanted to get something known to work.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2020, 06:22:04 AM »

Would one of these lever guards that mount just at the bar end do the job?

https://www.rg-racing.com/browsetype/Carbon_Fibre_Lever_Guard/

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 10:31:56 AM »

Yes, that is all I need.  Thank you for the suggestion.
Would one of these lever guards that mount just at the bar end do the job?

https://www.rg-racing.com/browsetype/Carbon_Fibre_Lever_Guard/
Pages: [1]