• March 28, 2024, 11:21:04 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: When to replace tyres?  (Read 683 times)

KuRi

• View Profile
When to replace tyres?
« on: November 22, 2020, 02:54:25 PM »

Hi!

I have never had a motorcycle where the rear tyre life is so short xD

I see a lot of difference between rear and front tyre so I would like to ask you if you think my rear tyre is near the end of its life or how many km do you think it will last (if any...). Can you please take a look at my pictures and give me some advice? (only 6000km on the zero dsr). The TWI indicator is still intact.

Many thanks!!!
ZERO DSR 2020 - TOURING SEAT - TREKKER 52

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: When to replace tyres?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 06:53:44 PM »

Yeah those look like they are ready to get changed out.
What pressure were you riding?
I like to keep mine 33-35 PSI or about 2.4 Bars.
It looks like you were running a bit low and flattened out your center section.

Also looks like your going over very sandy or very rough surfaced roads.  The tread has so much micro abrasion looks like someone went over it with very course sand paper.

The stock tires are all I've used but if you search around a bit on here people give pros and cons on different makes.  There is always a trade off though for good road grip vs long life.  IOW sticky gripy don't last long.   :)

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 07:30:49 PM »

That's the PSI I always try to keep, 33 front 35 rear... I have sensors installed.

I think my main problem is that I always accelerate very fast xD. I don't think the tyre is physically flattened... I think it just has a lot of wear in the center (I am not very good at corners xD)

Next revision in 1000km so I will replace tyres. I am not sure if just replace the rear or both... (front is like new). What do you think?

thanks!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 07:41:58 PM by KuRi »

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 10:01:51 PM »

I wasn't going to point out those fresh side treads unless you did.  :)

I'm getting better but not great in the corners yet myself.

As for the front if it looks good it's whatever is less of a hassle for ya.
If your dealer isn't too far away and going back at a later time to have the front replaced isn't a big deal for ya then wait.
Or you could change it out and keep the old one in case the new gets cut or damaged you'll have a spare.

If your going with a different brand I'd change them both to get a true sense of how they ride as a set.

Fast take offs are fun but cost money.

Side note I see you have the touring seat.  How do you like it?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 10:04:34 PM by NEW2elec »

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 10:06:57 PM »

The touring screen is working very well for me, however the main reason I bought it was because it was the one I liked it most (aesthetically speaking). Sometimes I get some noise in the helmet because the wind comes directly to the eyes zone, but nothing annoying so far.
I have thought of trying some other model to compare with, but I still don't like the rest that zero offers :D

Edited: Just noticed you said the touring SEAT. This is a 200% recommended upgrade. So much better than the original one! I don't want to use the original never ever again... who wants a cheap replacement of the original one as new? contact me asap! :D More space and very very comfortable. In fact I have never used the original because I tested a dsr with the original and it was the only thing I did not like of it. So I ordered mine with the touring seat at the same time, and it was swapped before the bike delivery. This means I have a new sealed original seat for selling.

One additional question: Can I wait the 1000km before changing the rear tyre (I don't think is 100% dead yet)? I would like to wait to do everything together: bike check at 7000km and tyre change.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 10:11:27 PM by KuRi »

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 10:32:17 PM »

You saw it right at first I did subconsciously type touring screen, which I have one of those.
Very good to hear the seat works so well for you.  That Corbin seat has some mixed reviews.

I've got to say that tire is pretty dang low.  A flat in the middle of nowhere is no fun. 
Losing the rear to a spinup on a turn and going down is really no fun.

At the very least you'd need to go much easier on the throttle.
I know it's hard.  :)

Hey if you really want to sell that seat put it down in the for sale section on here.  Somebody needs it I'm sure.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 10:38:48 PM by NEW2elec »

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 10:37:37 PM »

In fact I have the commuter screen, not the touring one xD

So... ok, I will be contacting local dealer tomorrow to see what my options are, and meanwhile, easy on the throttle. Time to use the custom mode again!

BTW I am not concerned about the cost of changing the tires but about the procedure. The Local Dealer here is small and does not have a lot of experience swapping Zero's wheels. Not to mention other tire stores... I don't trust them at all :D

Cheers!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 10:45:23 PM by KuRi »

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 03:56:39 AM »

Those are done. You could get away with another 1000 km if you baby them. However, thinly worn tires are much more susceptible to puncture by small objects like broken glass and thorns. You'd especially want to avoid riding on road shoulders and medians where those things collect. And avoid riding at high speeds in the fast lane lest it burst. Plus, handling in turns really sucks with squared-off tires. You don't realize how terrible it is until getting fresh tires.

Swapping Zero wheels is no different than ICE bikes, so don't worry about that -- unless you are someone who already worries when a shop works on your bike. I tend to take off my own wheels and bring them to my tire store, who then mounts/balances for free. This way I can take the extra effort to clean and lube parts, pack the water seals with grease, not strip any bolts, put spacers back properly, position the magnetic sensor carefully, inspect bearings and sprockets and brake pads, properly tension the belt/chain, etc.

One downside to having someone change your tires is you never know when they're going to scuff the rims. But when I change my own tires, I scuff them a lot more, and it's a big effort, so...

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 04:19:31 AM »

unless you are someone who already worries when a shop works on your bike.

Touché... I am... very bad experiences here :(

I have thought about removing the wheel by myself... I do all the maintenance and repairing of my electric bicycles...and I learnt how to adjust the belt on my zero and it is running very smooth now, this can't be much harder :D

Thanks for your thoughts!

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 10:48:11 PM »

I have decided to replace both tires with pirelli's scorpion trail 2. Tomorrow is the day! A very good local tire shop will do all the job.

I will let you know how they go!

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2020, 04:58:04 PM »

Job done on a local shop! Very well done I must say. I see some bolts have been tightened a little over the original line, but the bike goes smooth and perfect.

Thanks everyone for your advices!

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2020, 02:57:39 PM »

Glad you got it done! How do they feel now?

I think you'd easily be able to remove the wheels yourself next time. The only things needed are a few proper tools and a stand to support it. When I put it on a stand, it's not balanced. I use ratchet straps from the handlebar to the garage rafters to pull the front wheel off the ground.

The scorpion logo on the tread is in interesting touch by Pirelli. :)

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2020, 04:45:23 PM »

They are amazing, thanks! The cornering is much easier now. The are really different, you need to adapt your driving style to these :D

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2020, 05:22:06 PM »

Good deal man, glad you like them.  Stay safe and pour on the miles!
Pages: [1]