• April 24, 2024, 10:07:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: SR/F Winter Storage  (Read 1704 times)

Jimnb11

• View Profile
SR/F Winter Storage
« on: December 30, 2020, 01:05:43 AM »

Minnesota rider here. Put a SR/F in storage on November 19 with a SOC of 58% on a level 2 EVSE. This morning I checked the SOC and it was at 23%. The manual states the battery will ‘discharge extremely slowly over time.’ Almost 1%/day loss, in my opinion, is not extremely slow. It’s more like Tesla style vampire drain. Since the bike will not charge because of the low temperature, 18F according to the bike, what are my options? Seems the battery will drain to zero before the warmer weather arrives. Will this be a cause for concern? I know lithium ion batteries shouldn’t be completely discharged. Zero is closed for the holidays or I’d ask Customer Support.

Thanks

James

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Re: SR/F Winter Storage
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 01:24:18 AM »

Well, checking the battery or touching it can knock it out of storage mode.  And being on the edge of a cell signal, I think, can as well.

Can you bring it inside?  Give it a heated blanket?  If you can raise its internal temperature above 0C you can charge it.

It will also be giving you an artificially low reading, because the low temperature is limiting its ability to make the chemical reactions in the electrolyte.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Jimnb11

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 02:22:18 AM »

That’s another thing, can’t get the battery out of storage mode; according to the cell phone app anyway. I managed to wait long enough for the 12V battery to heat up so the bike would operate, but I still haven’t been able to take it out of storage mode despite numerous power cycles using the key.

Bringing the bike inside is not an option. May try the blanket or a heater of some sort.

James

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 02:51:22 AM »

I think I read here somewhere that you have to use the killswitch and sidestand also to get it out of storage mode. Not just cycling ignition key. So try that.
2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---

Jimnb11

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2020, 03:23:16 AM »

Did all that. Flipped up the kickstand and the kill switch then drove the bike about three feet to ensure everything worked.

James

karlh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2020, 06:13:42 AM »

I think I read here somewhere that you have to use the killswitch and sidestand also to get it out of storage mode. Not just cycling ignition key. So try that.
Correct.  The key has to be cycled with the bike in RUN mode (sidestand up, kill switch in RUN).  Turn the key on, wait for the main contactor to click, then turn the key off.
Karl
2020 SR/S
2007 BMW R1200ST
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Jimnb11

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 06:49:01 AM »

Kickstand up, kill switch armed, key on, the contactor clicked (as usual), then the phone stated the bike had to be disarmed for the app to work. Turned off the key then turned it back on. Battery still stayed in storage mode. I tried using the following method from the manual: When you’re ready to take your motorcycle out of storage to ride it again, turn the key switch to the ON position and back to OFF to exit long term storage mode. Charge for at least 24 hours to ensure optimal cell balance is restored.

James

karlh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2020, 08:04:59 AM »

The app won't report the correct status with the bike in the run mode.  The "disarm" message is telling you to lower the sidestand or put the kill switch in STOP and the app will then report correctly.
Karl
2020 SR/S
2007 BMW R1200ST
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Jimnb11

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2020, 08:48:49 AM »

No matter what I do with the kickstand, kill switch or key; the bike is stuck in storage mode. The thing is, my main concern has been the battery SOC and the depletion rate. According to the manual, the discharge rate should be very minimal. Zero customer service will reopen on January 4 and the weather forecast is predicting a high of 32F. I’ll see if a heater and blanket will warm the pack enough so I can charge. Thanks for the tips.

James

Jimnb11

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2021, 04:52:08 AM »

Reported the problem to Zero Support. Matthew emailed the procedure to exit storage mode, the same one in the manual, no luck. The power pack warmed with the weather today and I was able to charge the battery back up to 60% SOC. Emailed the logs, hopefully the fault causing the battery discharge can be found.

By the way, anyone know where I can find hand guards that will fit?

James
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 04:53:46 AM by Jimnb11 »

Auriga

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2021, 12:05:08 AM »

Storage mode is not present until firmware revision 18. Are you sure you have the latest FW?
https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/firmware

Jimnb11

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2021, 04:13:20 AM »

That was one of the things Zero pointed out after looking at the logs. I never received a notification for this update so I’m trying to use the App. After an hour of searching, it is not working. As far as the excessive discharge is concerned, they don’t think there is a problem and are blaming the discharge on the 12V battery. This answer is completely at odds with the manual. Their only suggestion is to bring it into a dealer to update the firmware and look at the battery issue.

James

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2021, 07:53:55 PM »

Quick correction : storage mode was always available on the SRF abs SRS. The only new thing that came with FW v 18 is the option to entef storage mode by using the app. Before it would only trigger after 40 days.
2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---

Auriga

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2021, 02:39:43 AM »

Quick correction : storage mode was always available on the SRF abs SRS. The only new thing that came with FW v 18 is the option to entef storage mode by using the app. Before it would only trigger after 40 days.
I'm sorry Hans but that is incorrect. Long Term Storage mode was not in the fw for fst bikes(SR/F,SR/S) until rev 18. It has been in gen II firmware for much longer.
https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/firmware

I've got it direct from Zero's engineers themselves while trying to diagnose a bike. That is why it was added to the app recently as well.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2021, 03:18:44 AM »

That's not what they said last year, though, Auriga.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5
Pages: [1] 2