• April 23, 2024, 09:07:41 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Zero S, Handguards and Commuter screen  (Read 584 times)

victor6.7y

• ^.^
    • View Profile
Zero S, Handguards and Commuter screen
« on: December 30, 2020, 10:21:53 PM »

Heey all,

If you are like me and you want to your bike to fight the wind for you  ;) you might want to add an Commuter screen and Handguards to your motorcycle.
I have to say it makes commuting a lot more comfortable. Your hands will feel less cold.

While the Communter screen fits perfectly on the Zero S, the Handguards have a bit more trouble.

Since the commuter screens aluminium bars are in the way of the handguards mount there is need for some synergy (See the first image) . Some duct tape, bolts, nuts and a 3D printed part makes this synergy easy (See the second image).
Take note. At this point I am not sure how much of a hand guard, your handguards are. If you are crashing, the 3D printed will probably not hold back a lot of force. It will protect your hands a bit,, but don’t expect it to save your hands. If you do some math, you can determine how much you hands are protected. But I leave that up to yourself.
- 2019 Zero S 14.4
- 2000 Honda VTR 1000F

victor6.7y

• ^.^
    • View Profile
Re: Zero S, Handguards and Commuter screen
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 10:28:56 PM »

I have added the stl file to the post.

First, take note, that you have to put some tape around the bars of the Commuter screen. This will give the 3D printed part a bit more grip to hold the handguards in place.

Second, you will need two parts different parts. To be precise, you need one of the stl file, and one of the stl file that is mirrored. I am sure your slicer will not have any problem doing so.

Third, it is best to turn the 3D printed part around the aluminium bar of the Commuter screen such that it is flat against the metal part of the handguards. (When you are mounting the 3D printed part you will know what I mean 😊 )

I hope this can help others that faced the same problem. Good luck to you all. Let me know if you have any questions or remarks.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 10:30:52 PM by victor6.7y »
- 2019 Zero S 14.4
- 2000 Honda VTR 1000F

caza

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 02:08:42 PM »

Nice solution! I ran into the same problem, and ended up going with these barkbuster storm bar-end handguards https://barkbusters.net/products/storm/3475-stm-005-bk/

They don't offer any crash protection since they are single point, but since I just wanted them for the cold that was fine.
2015 Zero SR + Power Tank

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 02:03:49 AM »

I've tried hand guards on other motorcycles in the past and found them to be utterly worthless for keeping your hands warm.  A decent pair of winter gauntlets does a far better job than anything else I've ever seen attached to a motorcycle with the exception of heated grips.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 02:22:03 AM »

I'm the opposite, my hand guards do a better job than heated grips (on my old bike) or winter gloves. The reason my hands get cold is because of wind chill, heated grips do nothing to stop that and the winter gloves were better than regular ones but still not as good as a solid bit of plastic. Get rid of the wind and your hands only get as cold as they would if you were sitting still (so when it gets really cold, close to freezing or below, a combination of winter gloves along with guards is ideal).

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 03:31:18 AM »

To me, that sounds like the winter gauntlets you were wearing were inadequate.  I've been using Olympia winter gauntlets with a thinsulate insulation covered with leather, laminated with a Gore-Tex laminate.  The Gore-Tex blocks the wind from penetrating into the Thinsulate so the air trapped by the insulation remains warm.

The only reason my hands get cold is because no winter glove can properly protect your palms.  Holding on to the handgrips pretty much squeezes out any of the insulating air that might be trapped so the cold from your handlebars leech directly into your palms.  This can be alleviated somewhat by relaxing your grip (many people tend to grip HARDER when cold, exacerbating the issue).  Squeezing too hard also limits the blood flow to your fingertips so they'll get colder even faster.

A relaxed grip allows warm blood to flow through your hands and fingers.  In really cold weather, heated grips will pump the heat into the palms of your hands which would otherwise be losing heat. 

But believe it or not, the best way to keep your hands warm is to keep your body core warm.  If your body starts getting chilled, it will start cutting off the blood flow to your extremities (which aren't biologically necessary to sustain life) in order to keep your core warm.  A snug-fitting electric vest under a good, wind-proof, insulating winter jacket is your best defense from the cold.  I find myself using the heated grips only when the temperatures are WELL below freezing.

This may be opinion, but it is opinion based on DECADES of riding over hundreds of thousands of miles in all kinds of crazy weather.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 03:33:02 AM by JaimeC »
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 04:07:52 AM »

Yeah they're only cheap gloves. The handguards were cheaper than decent winter gloves and allow me to ride most of the time with my regular gloves which I prefer, it often gets cold here in the UK but rarely really cold.

victor6.7y

• ^.^
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 10:18:23 PM »

Nice solution! I ran into the same problem, and ended up going with these barkbuster storm bar-end handguards https://barkbusters.net/products/storm/3475-stm-005-bk/

They don't offer any crash protection since they are single point, but since I just wanted them for the cold that was fine.

This would propably have been the smart and easy way  ;D

I've tried hand guards on other motorcycles in the past and found them to be utterly worthless for keeping your hands warm.  A decent pair of winter gauntlets does a far better job than anything else I've ever seen attached to a motorcycle with the exception of heated grips.

I agree that the better solution against cold is propably winter gauntlets. Or if i have to beleve my friends headed winter gauntlets.
Still the hand guards do help for me. I only have two set of gloves and I can notice the difference between a motorcycle with hand guards and one without.

I can drive a bit longer trough the year with my summer gloves. I like this since my winter gauntlets are a bit more chunky.

- 2019 Zero S 14.4
- 2000 Honda VTR 1000F
Pages: [1]