• April 27, 2024, 09:49:32 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Power pack or Quick charger?  (Read 978 times)

wmak

• View Profile
Power pack or Quick charger?
« on: December 31, 2020, 02:52:29 AM »

Trying to decide wether to upgrade to the power pack or quick charger on my new SR/S. Bough it end of November, gotten some rides in to familiarize myself with all the operations, added a center stand, planing to ride as much as possible with our goofy winter weather here in the Ohio Valley. Any thoughts or opinions vis-a-vis the upgrades would be welcome.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: Power pack or Quick charger?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 03:07:10 AM »

Check your maps to see what your charging station situation is like.  Also does your SRS have the 3kw or 6kw onboard charger?
The Premium has the 6kw unit.
If you have the 6kw unit it gets a little trickier.  Most J1772 station in the US will only go up to 6-7kws so the charge tank wouldn't be much  help.
Your area may have more powerful ones and there are some "other" techniques but no point in having more charger than power supply.

Otherwise the power tank gets you more range, or lets you use more speed with the old range .   
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 07:14:52 AM by NEW2elec »

wmak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 08:00:17 AM »

Thanks, it’s the premium, I have been leaning to the power tank, need to get some miles in before a final decision.

caza

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 02:18:10 PM »

It really depends on your usage and the charging infrastructure along the routes you intend to take, but personally I always prefer a bigger battery to faster charging. Since you already have the 6kw charger I really don't see the point in a charge tank since most J-plug chargers aren't going to give you must faster charging and you still won't be able to DC-fast charge.
2015 Zero SR + Power Tank

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 08:16:51 AM »

no point in having more charger than power supply.

Otherwise the power tank gets you more range, or lets you use more speed with the old range .

Absolutely! Power tank hands down if the charger is already 6 kW. (I'd choose power tank even without 6 kW.)

reini

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 01:31:44 PM »

Having owned a relatively quickly charging bike since August, I'd advice you to get the quickest charging option. As others mentioned, this only makes sense if you have chargers where you ride.

A bigger battery will only help you for the first leg of your journey, quicker charging for all that follow that.

If the power tank helps you to do your daily commute, go for that.
Energica SS9+

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 04:09:38 PM »

A frustrating thing about Power Tanks is the bigger the difference in mileage between your battery packs the higher the chance of it malfunctioning. Like, if you got the PT added at 0 miles fresh from the factory you have a very high chance for success.

However if you have thousands of miles on your monolith, that's thousands of miles of aging on the cells. And if you add brand new brick (the PT) with 0 miles on it those cells are in perfect shape. The bike will see this and draw from them first, which essentially puts tremendous strain on the PT. It can cause premature aging of the cells or, more commonly, a desynching and disconnect.

The ultimate irony is unless you got your PT new from the factory on the bike, you're better off with a used Power Tank.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 08:19:00 PM »

I have had Power Tanks installed on both my 2014 S and my 2018 S. The 2014 model had its Power Tank installed by the dealer at the time of sale and the 2018 PT was installed at the factory before it was shipped to my dealer. (I special ordered the bike.) That has worked out well on both Zeros and I have been satisfied with the PT upgrade. My daughter still rides my old 2014 bike and it has had no problems other than a failed OBC.

What the PT does do is to add a lot of weight up high, which affects handling and the weight distribution also really seems to wear out the front tire quickly, compared with the rear tire.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: [1]