• April 26, 2024, 01:33:26 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New Zero SR + Power Pack. How can I tell if second battery is working?  (Read 662 times)

Nukie

• View Profile

I just bought a 2021 Zero SR + Power Pack. My dealer installed the Power Pack. I was wondering if there is a way to tell if the Power Pack has been installed correctly and working? On my display, I see Estimated Range and it seems lower than what I thought it might be with the extra battery. But maybe that calculation is not a good indicator as I believe it's based on several different factors. How can I tell if my bike is tapped into both batteries? Thanks.
"Life is locomotion. If you're not moving, you're not living." – The Flash

TheRan

• View Profile
Re: New Zero SR + Power Pack. How can I tell if second battery is working?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 03:15:34 AM »

I would trust that they have installed it properly, it's quite a lot of effort to go through to then not test it before giving it back (they'll see it show up in the software that they need to use to make it work). If you really want to be sure I think the battery logs show the capacity, or you can stick it on charge and do some simple math to calculate the capacity from the charging rate shown in the app and the estimated time to finish (it won't be exact but it should be good enough to tell whether you're missing 3.6kW/h).

Auriga

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 11:38:08 AM »

I believe when you key it on the green ready light blinks twice if you have two batteries. Also, you may be able to hear two separate clicks when keying on, for each of the battery's contactors closing.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 12:51:31 PM »

Range calculation is based on recent energy usage curves, so unless you've gone through the whole battery a couple times, I doubt it really 'knows' how much range it has.

A good excuse for a long ride, if you ask me ^-^

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 02:59:26 PM »

If you're on Android, download the app Zero Voltage. This will report back information from the Zero battery pack. If you charge to full and report back somewhere around 142.5Ah then everything is working as intended. The main battery (monolith) is 114Ah. The Power Tank is 28.5Ah. Therefore 142.5Ah is the best you can expect out of this system.

Nukie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 08:45:09 PM »

Thanks for all the feedback. As Auriga mentioned, there is indeed a double flash of the green ready light at startup. So that is helpful to see.
"Life is locomotion. If you're not moving, you're not living." – The Flash

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 05:37:44 AM »

I just bought a 2021 Zero SR + Power Pack. My dealer installed the Power Pack. I was wondering if there is a way to tell if the Power Pack has been installed correctly and working? On my display, I see Estimated Range and it seems lower than what I thought it might be with the extra battery. But maybe that calculation is not a good indicator as I believe it's based on several different factors. How can I tell if my bike is tapped into both batteries? Thanks.
IMO, the best way to check is to see if your charge time increases. If you know your charge time before you had the battery added, it should now take 20% longer to charge.

Charging doesn't have most of the variables that riding has, such as hills, speed and wind.

The longer it takes to charge, the more KWHs you have to charge up. You can compare to the specs if you have nothing else to go by.  The longer the better, in this case, at the same charge rate.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 05:49:09 AM »

A Kill-A-Watt meter can also document how much power has gone into your battery pack. When I ran my 2018 S with PT (16.6 kWh "nominal") down to "00" and charged it back up to 100% my recollection is that it sucked up about 16 kWh from the wall over a period of about 12 hours using the onboard charger.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 05:53:25 AM »

I believe when you key it on the green ready light blinks twice if you have two batteries. Also, you may be able to hear two separate clicks when keying on, for each of the battery's contactors closing.
I just compared my SR (two batteries) to my DS (one battery).

I assume you mean kickstand up.

My SR did flash twice. Only one click noticed.

My DS green light flashed six times.

With kickstand down:

DS green light comes on for a second and then out.

SR=exactly the same as above.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE