• April 26, 2024, 05:32:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Battery Replacement  (Read 509 times)

ElectricZoro

• View Profile
Battery Replacement
« on: January 24, 2021, 04:32:13 AM »

Could someone who has had the battery on their Zero replaced under warranty please confirm if the battery comes with a new BMS or will the dealer move the old BMS to the new battery?

This is on a 2015 SR

Thanks

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Re: Battery Replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 04:51:12 AM »

Is it a separate part on the diagram?

It has to be programmed/wired for the specific monolith.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

caza

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 09:39:02 AM »

Asking your dealer that is going to do the work is probably the best way to get a clear answer.

But just looking at the parts catalog for the 15' SR here : https://www.af1racing.com/store/ProdImages/st3/15sr.pdf

46-08034 is the monolith.

40-08031  is the bms board.

And you can see in the diagram roughly how not-integrated they are.

So they are certainly separate parts that could be replaced individually. But if the BMS is replaced or not is probably up to zero, since they would be paying for warranty service. It might be easier/cheaper for zero to ship the monolith as a single part and have your dealer replace that single part rather than have zero pay for their labor to do more disassembly to replace individual parts.

Likely they would replace it all at once, because zero discontinued the 12.5kwh battery pretty quickly, I assume they will replace it with a more updated battery that would then need a matching BMS.

But yeah, if you need this service done, you need it done, so just talk to your dealer about it before your warranty expires.
2015 Zero SR + Power Tank

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 12:59:44 PM »

Could someone who has had the battery on their Zero replaced under warranty please confirm if the battery comes with a new BMS or will the dealer move the old BMS to the new battery?

This is on a 2015 SR

Thanks
The odds are that you will get an upgraded battery complete with new BMS. The BMS is part of the battery pack, so I seriously doubt it would get moved to a different battery regardless.

The battery in my DS 6.5 crapped our during warranty and now it has a 7.2 KWH battery.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 09:39:37 PM by DonTom »
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Kappi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 01:15:23 PM »

I have a 14.4 monolith in a former 13.0 bike. Is there a way in the logs to check the physical version of the BMS? If so, since I still have pre-swap logs saved, I might be able to answer your question.
What has changed for me since the swap, apart from range, is that SOC calculation seems pretty much spot on "knocks on wood's.
1992 Yamaha FZR 1000
1996 Honda CB "Two Fiffty"
2017 Zero SR 13.0 (14.4)

ElectricZoro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 02:41:58 PM »

Thank you for the replies.

Unfortunately I have asked the dealer but they say they dont know. Zero's are scarce here and the dealership has moved about a year ago so the guys are still new to this which makes me nervous.

I realize the BMS is a separate part and can be replaced should it fail, just not sure if the larger monolith would come with a new BMS preinstalled.

@Kappi  - that would be very helpful, thanks.

When I run 'bms' from the terminal window, I get a serial number for the BMS. Would be very helpful to see if the serial number is the same or has changed after the replacement.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 07:46:36 PM »

If Zero is replacing your battery under warranty you will get a new 14.4 pack with the BMS for that pack.

The BMS is replaceable if a bad BMS is the only problem, about $800 vs $6k for a whole new battery.
Pages: [1]