• April 26, 2024, 03:03:59 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: NEVER put red threadlocker on sprocket/motor shaft spline!!!  (Read 438 times)

Red Clay

• View Profile
    • electricmotorcycletours.com
NEVER put red threadlocker on sprocket/motor shaft spline!!!
« on: January 26, 2021, 10:27:53 PM »

Note to self and a warning for my fellow zero owners

After HOURS of struggles to remove front drive sprocket(s), this is the conclusion according to the evidence: The un-named (nice guy, we all make mistakes) dealership mechanic who replaced the two defunct motor(s) in our brand new zero fx(s) gobbed red threadlocker onto the splines of the motor output shaft. To remove the sprocket(s) I had to use two propane torches to heat the sprocket enough to melt the threadlocker, with the gear puller engaged. Pain in the $#%&*!!!!! and an unnecessary hassle/risk!

NEVER put, or allow anyone else to put, red threadlocker on the sprocket/motor shaft spline!!

A small DAB of red threadlocker on the bolt is sufficient.

Onward & Ride On,
Red Clay

Starpower

• View Profile
Re: NEVER put red threadlocker on sprocket/motor shaft spline!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 03:51:15 AM »

Nice guy, sure, but a very poor mechanic bordering on insane! Glad toy got it off without damage to anytyhing.
'13 Zero S 12.5 100% Solar charged, '14 BMW S1000R, '23 Admit Jet Armor, '21 Ninja 400, '21 WR250R

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 04:09:36 AM »

I don't get why someone would even think of doing that, I wonder if he mistook it for anti-seize or something like that.

Red Clay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 10:33:06 PM »

Thanks for the support. Every motorcycle I've previously owned had a readily available service manual that explained every detail of the machine. Zero does not have a service manual available, even though the machine is quite simple, and it is left up to us to figure this out and build our own wikipage. Do dealership mechanics have a service manual? I don't believe so. Did they ALL go to Zero mechanic training? We can only hope so, and ask. Until Zero provides a service manual for its customers, the answer to this strange problem is here at electricmotorcycleforum. Thanks everyone.

We will never know the why. Moving on to the what and the how to.

The sprocket/motor shaft spline has a filler goop applied at the factory. It is blue in color, does not melt when heated, and, after the sprocket is off, can be chipped out with a sharp pointed tool. A puller is needed to remove the (original) front sprocket. I believe this is because of the tight tolerance caused by the goop instead of any threadlocking characteristic. When red threadlocker melts it seeps out of the edges as liquid, apparent and obvious. I have chosen to keep the spline clean when reassembling.

Electric travel is power to the people because of the simplicity.

Taking the bitter with the sweet and taking the time to share,
Red Clay

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 10:41:28 PM »

Have you found what is a suitable replacement sprocket as in what other bike might use the same mounting. Next then what sort of tooth count is available?

Red Clay

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 11:19:03 PM »

The FX model has two front sprockets available

30-08116   MOTOR SPROCKET 20T 11MM PITCH 17MM WIDE BELT
30-08117   MOTOR SPROCKET 18T 11MM PITCH 17MM WIDE BELT

each at $77 msrp. An acceptable price I suppose. My FX(s) have the 18 tooth. I have not researched alternatives to stock though I need to because the front sprockets do wear out, especially here in southern appalachia where the gravel roads are covered with granite marbles. The granite dust is very abrasive on the wide sprocket. A chain would suffice but for the noise. Maybe one day someone will develop a linked belt? quiet and if (when) it breaks, a section can be replaced instead of the whole belt.
Pages: [1]