• May 04, 2024, 02:29:41 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: FXS 7.2 Battery Removal  (Read 1306 times)

ElectricZoro

• View Profile
FXS 7.2 Battery Removal
« on: February 03, 2021, 01:55:19 AM »

Does anyone know if the battery in the 2021 FXS 7.2 can be removed from the bike and charged indoors?

Is it possible (if a bit heavy) to keep a second 7.2 battery on charge for extended riding? Or is it only possible on the 3.6 battery packs?

TheRan

• View Profile
Re: FXS 7.2 Battery Removal
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 03:12:51 AM »

You'll want to get a model with two 3.6 modules instead of the single 7.2 pack and you'll need to get the external quick charger to charge the modules. It'll cost you about $1.5k extra.

ElectricZoro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 03:22:37 AM »

Are you saying it cant be done with the 7.2?

Or is going to be awkward to carry a 7.2?

I guess what I am asking is if it is possible with to remove the 7.2 to charge it inside on a separate charger?

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 03:39:31 AM »

Well, it's technically possible but not the sort of thing you'll want to do regularly. Not only will you need tools to remove the brackets holding the battery in place I imagine the connections going to it are also bolted instead of using an Anderson connector like the 3.6 modules, and unbolting those prevents the risk of shorting the battery. You'd also need to make an adapter to use the external charger and bolt that on every time.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 06:09:36 AM »

It also weighs like a hundred and fifty pounds, so unless you're handy at moving bodies around... It's easier to move the whole bike.  It has wheels and brakes.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 06:36:39 AM »

Not quite that much, the 3.6 modules weigh about 45 pounds so it should be under 100. Still a lot of weight to carry though out in front of you, the 3.6 modules are probably easier with one under each arm (or just bring them in one at a time). Forgot to say you'll also need a splitter cable if you want to charge both packs at once, otherwise you'll need to remember to swap them over after about 4 hours (or less if they're not completely flat).

valnar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 01:53:08 AM »

Does anyone know if the battery in the 2021 FXS 7.2 can be removed from the bike and charged indoors?

Is it possible (if a bit heavy) to keep a second 7.2 battery on charge for extended riding? Or is it only possible on the 3.6 battery packs?

If you didn't already buy it and if this is a necessity, you'll wan the modular 3.6 version.  Doing this with the 7.2 is not really recommended.
Zero FXS 2020

ElectricZoro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 02:40:17 AM »

Thanks for the replies. I haven’t bought it yet but will likely go for the 7.2 modular FXS.

My commute is 40 km round trip of which half is highway with a speed limit of 100km.

I should be able to get to work and back on the two 3.6 batteries correct? I cant currently charge at the office.

valnar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 02:52:12 AM »

Thanks for the replies. I haven’t bought it yet but will likely go for the 7.2 modular FXS.

My commute is 40 km round trip of which half is highway with a speed limit of 100km.

I should be able to get to work and back on the two 3.6 batteries correct? I cant currently charge at the office.

Yes, A 40 KM trip should not be a problem for the FXS with a combined 7.2kWh battery.  It's the same motorcycle I have.  Enjoy!
Zero FXS 2020

ElectricZoro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2021, 03:12:12 AM »

That’s great, what percentage of the battery could I expect to use for a daily trip?

valnar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2021, 03:21:10 AM »

You'll have to let us know.  40KM is not much though.  You might be able to make it two days without charging, but I wouldn't test that theory at first until you've commuted a few times.  The range estimates from Zero are fairly close, depending on your weight.
Zero FXS 2020
Pages: [1]