• April 27, 2024, 06:11:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: All lights on after wash (12V dc/dc on)  (Read 303 times)

NervEasy

• View Profile
    • Personal site
All lights on after wash (12V dc/dc on)
« on: February 18, 2021, 12:05:47 AM »

Hi all,

10min. after I washed my bike (Zero S 2019) this evening all lights (headlight dash rear and numberplate) suddenly came to life. No key in ignition.

I washed my bike as usual: just a hose off.

I removed all fuses as not to leave my bike as a christmas tree.

I proceeded to ise an electric dryer on the left side of the bike as my guess is that the Sevcon dc to dc convertor had water in its plug and got a false enable and activated it’s 12V output.

After 10 minutes of blowing I reinserted the fuses and the lights did not come on.

The bike is now charging fine.

Does anyone think my guess is correct?

Also can someone post an image where the sevcon dcdc actually sits? As I think I see it’s connector but I am not sure... I might want to reapply dielectric grease there...

Sincerely
2019 Zero S 11kw - 2020 SR/S

MVetter

• View Profile
Re: All lights on after wash (12V dc/dc on)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 12:25:41 AM »

It's not a particularly fun area to reach. It's under the rat's next, beneath the MBB. It's hard mounted on a bracket. If I recall correctly, the plug is on the left side. It's like 7 or 8 pins wide, 1 pin tall, black plastic connector.

NervEasy

• View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 12:59:42 AM »

ok, thank you. I do not really get though how water could cause a DC/DC enable. So apparently even if the contactor is not closed their is pack voltage? Is that where the small battery fuse is for?

But if the water bridged something causing a enable pin to go high... It could only have come from pack voltage? So that's 116V on the enable pin?

Also another weird thing, just checked the bike and even though plugged in the dash was empty and bike was no longer charging. I then pulled the power plug out and put it back in and bike came to life again and started charging. the session started at 73% and when the bike came to life it was 79% so it did charge a bit.

The Charge yesterday went fine. So no history of weird charges

Went for a small ride to check things out and all was fine. Shut the bike down afterwards, all was fine. Now put the charge cord back in and started charging normally. Going to check again in 30 minutes.

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 01:05:34 AM »

There are a couple 'enable' connectors on the bike. One is in the pins of the Aux plug located just left of the rear shock. It has a rubber cover on it by default and would need a power source to trigger the enable. This is how things like the Delta Q enable charge signal. The other spot is the communications connector attached to the Calex (stock charger) underneath the battery. It's a sort of rectangular connector usually sheathed in black, and it ties into the bike's CAN line. This is how the stock charger enables the charge signal.

UlsterZero

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 01:32:57 AM »

It's not a particularly fun area to reach. It's under the rat's next, beneath the MBB. It's hard mounted on a bracket. If I recall correctly, the plug is on the left side. It's like 7 or 8 pins wide, 1 pin tall, black plastic connector.

If you take the left panel off, you can get access to the connector from the side.  It's very limited, but a lot easier than having to take the seat, tank and frame y piece out.  If you're nimble enough you can re-apply di-electric grease from here to keep it a bit more waterproof too (make sure it's fully dried first).

The connector is a  5 way Molex Mini Fit Senior: https://www.molex.com/molex/products/family/minifit_sr It's not IP rated, and therefore vulnerable to water ingress.  Di-electric grease seems to be the only prevention measure available.

Ulster Zero

NervEasy

• View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 04:33:41 AM »

Thank you Ulster for that tip. I was wondering if that would be an option I will try that tomorrow!

Update: Bike charged to 100% no problem in normal time.

I will remove the bellypan in the coming days to have a look at the connectors on the charger and see if they need extra grease.
Pages: [1]