• April 26, 2024, 11:01:46 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: FX Swing Arm Bearings  (Read 314 times)

stargazerinwg

• View Profile
FX Swing Arm Bearings
« on: February 17, 2021, 07:12:07 PM »

A friend machined the tools rayivers shared (https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=6692.0) and today I replaced the swing arm bearings on my 2017 FX.  I had used the bike for off-road only for a year and the bearings were notchy and didn't feel right.

It was pretty straightforward.  Remove the rear wheel, stub axles, bottom shock bolt, countershaft sprocket, and the swing arm.  The wheel puller pressed the old ones out nicely; I didn't even warm up the frame around the bearings.  I cleaned the socket and applied some anti-seize lube.  The tools were great for pressing the new bearings in so thanks to rayivers.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 07:16:49 PM by stargazerinwg »

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
Re: FX Swing Arm Bearings
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 08:19:32 PM »

What type of bearings are they? Needle type? What did you use for replacements? Stock OEM or upgrade to higher quality?

stargazerinwg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 10:09:19 PM »

They are 6204-2RS - single row ball bearings.  I replaced with Xike bearings purchased on Amazon.  Remove the seals and clean thoroughly then pack with high quality grease.  Others have used really expensive bearings.  I'll see how these do; it is easy enough now to replace them.

The design is different from most other swing arm bearings I know of.  I don't know if it is good or not so but, I think zero should have used a larger bearing, a double row ball bearing, or needle bearing or some combination instead of what they did.

Red Clay

• View Profile
    • electricmotorcycletours.com
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 09:27:20 AM »

Thanks for sharing the nice tool setup. We all need a machinist friend. I'm especially impressed with the puller being used as a pusher. Your pushing and pressing is more gentle and less risky than my method.

My homemade setup for the FX is the right size (large) socket to tap the bearing out and a homemade slide hammer to tap the bearing in (pictured below). Agreed, anti-sieze is a must.

My input: new bearings usually come with cheap grease, I remove the seals(both sides) from the bearings with a small screwdriver, spray the cheap grease out with parts cleaner and repack the bearings with bel-ray waterproof grease.

Ride on, red clay
Pages: [1]