• May 02, 2024, 03:50:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Disappointed after seeing an SR  (Read 667 times)

tracy216

• View Profile
Disappointed after seeing an SR
« on: February 28, 2021, 10:35:55 PM »

I've been following Zero for years and would love to own an electric motorcycle. I currently ride a Yamaha FZ-09. Having never sat on a Zero or even seen one in person, I decided it was time.

I saw that my nearest Zero dealer had a 2021 SR in stock so I went there a couple days ago to sit on it. The seat was uncomfortably shaped and rock hard. The FZ-09 is well known for having a hard seat and the SR's was even worse. Then I discovered that $16k only buys you level 1 charging. If you want level 2 that's a $2,500 upgrade. That's 3 times what I paid to have a level 2 charger installed in my garage!

I wish we had more choices for electric motorcycles in the US because it doesn't look like I'll be getting a Zero.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: Disappointed after seeing an SR
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 10:51:20 PM »

The seat is a known issue and after about 60-70 miles I need to stand up and have some time apart.

The SRF and SRS come with 3kw charging standard and the premium models come with 6kw standard.
They both have the option for a charge tank for 6 more kws of charging but it's hard to find a station with that much power.

I've seen this one which is a great deal in CA.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2020-Zero-Motorcycles-ZERO-SRF-PREMIUM-5015507960

Otherwise you;ll have to look at a $30k Harley or an over $20k Energica which both have CCS but the Harley only has 1kw AC charging while the Energica only has 3kw AC charging.

Ireek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 04:45:59 AM »

I had the Alta, it was nice but range on the street was awful.  Til one of the big Japanese manufacturers comes out with something priced reasonably with level 2 charging, I'm sitting it out.  I do have a Sur Ron Light Bee that's an impressive little bike but not street legal.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 08:33:41 AM »

That's 3 times what I paid to have a level 2 charger installed in my garage!
The 'charger' in your garage is just a fancy outlet (EVSE, Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) with a resistor on a pin to tell the vehicle what the amperage of the outlet is.  It is not as complex as a battery charger, which is a series of AC to DC converters that have to activate based upon the voltage of the battery pack and the amperage the EVSE.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 10:12:41 PM »

...but did you test ride it?

I've been following Zero for years and would love to own an electric motorcycle. I currently ride a Yamaha FZ-09. Having never sat on a Zero or even seen one in person, I decided it was time.

I saw that my nearest Zero dealer had a 2021 SR in stock so I went there a couple days ago to sit on it. The seat was uncomfortably shaped and rock hard. The FZ-09 is well known for having a hard seat and the SR's was even worse. Then I discovered that $16k only buys you level 1 charging. If you want level 2 that's a $2,500 upgrade. That's 3 times what I paid to have a level 2 charger installed in my garage!

I wish we had more choices for electric motorcycles in the US because it doesn't look like I'll be getting a Zero.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 12:32:55 AM »

Depending on your max distance needs, level 1 charging might be fine.

Definitely test ride one to see what the hubbub is all about.

Also, there are other electric motorcycles in the US like Energica, as well as many intermediate toys like SurRon and Cake that might hold you over for a while.

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 01:33:37 AM »

The seat was the first thing I replaced in my zero dsr 2020... in fact I directly purchased it together with the bike. Touring seat is nice and perfect!
ZERO DSR 2020 - TOURING SEAT - TREKKER 52

angrygirafe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 04:45:59 AM »

Man, I've had the complete opposite experience coming from a 2016 Yamaha FJ-09 to a 2018 Zero S. I struggle to make it 100 miles on the FJ without a break for... areas that go numb. The Zero S has a fantastic seat by comparison. I'm just never going to get a 100 miles worth of battery out of it lol. But compared to the FJ, which I've done 14 hour days on, I could go longer on the Zero S.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 05:15:26 AM »

I can't ride more than 30 minutes while sitting on my 2018 S original seat. So I put an Air Hawk seat pad on it and that really helped. I can now ride for 2 hours without too much butt suffering.  ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2021, 05:31:29 AM »

I find the seat on my S pretty comfy, but any bike is pretty easy to go numb on.  At least there's very little vibration.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 01:02:38 PM »

I find it's time to charge by the time I get tired of sitting on that hard seat. But yeah, the Zero DS and Zero SR have the hardest seats of any motorcycle I have ever owned.

I used to think my stock 1971 BMW seat was bad!

Since I get long breaks with my Zeros (even at an 8 KW charge rate for my SR) I don't find the seats to be much of an issue. I have ridden my SR from here to Reno many times (99 miles). I charge at half way and that is all the rest I need for the next 50 miles.

BTW, I think the bike can make the entire trip on a charge, but I have always been too chicken to try. There is no place to charge after Truckee until I get home. But that is mostly down hill.  My SR does have the power tank. I have gone from here to Truckee many times before getting a charge, or from Reno to Truckee and that being the only charge. But I now normally charge at Cisco Grove which is a good half way point between here and Reno.

-Don- Auburn, CA
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 12:41:11 PM by DonTom »
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Red Clay

• View Profile
    • electricmotorcycletours.com
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2021, 08:35:53 AM »

I repeat Domingo3...but did you test ride it?

Try the FX...just as much fun for a little less money.
Pages: [1]