• April 25, 2024, 11:03:07 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Quad Diginow Superchargers and Tesla Destination EVSEs  (Read 387 times)

GoneToPlaid

• View Profile
Quad Diginow Superchargers and Tesla Destination EVSEs
« on: March 29, 2021, 03:50:31 AM »

I want to be able to use several sources with my 4 Diginow Superchargers.  I have two on each side, in aluminum panniers, with a J1772 socket for each pair.  I have adapters that will let me run 3 SCs from a NEMA 14-50, or each charger individually from a NEMA 5-15 outlet (at roughly half power and on separate circuits).

I'd also like to use Tesla destination chargers, and am interested in ideas about how best to do that.  It seems these come in 8kW and 16kW varieties (~40A and 80A).  An 8kW Tesla plug would run 2 SCs, perhaps using a TeslaTap Mini, like this:
https://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=17&product_id=143

One of these would allow me to plug in a Tesla EVSE plug into my J1772 socket, and then charge using 2 SCs.  So I would need two TeslaTaps to charge at the full rate using all 4 SCs.  Are these adapters any good?  They had better be, for the price!

The higher-power TeslaTap model would allow charging all 4 SCs from a single 16kW Tesla plug, but my J1772 sockets are only rated for 32A and this would be no advantage.

Any ideas for how best to use 4 Superchargers with Tesla destination EVSEs?  I'm willing to make an adapter, or buy something off the shelf.  Priorities are light weight and reliability.

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: Quad Diginow Superchargers and Tesla Destination EVSEs
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 09:48:01 AM »

Any ideas for how best to use 4 Superchargers with Tesla destination EVSEs?  I'm willing to make an adapter, or buy something off the shelf.  Priorities are light weight and reliability.
The very best way of all is to use one of these.

They give the very least trouble of all, because it solves the problem of having two activation circuits that can cause the Tesla Destination charger to be way out of spec to stay on (especially with Zeros with a power tank like I have). Do NOT use with a J-1772 adapter as that will defeat its entire purpose.

But these are much smaller and probably will work for you at  least with most Tesla destination stations. But the box is the most reliable of all. It sends to the Tesla Destination station exactly what it wants to see and nothing else, such as also seeing the stuff in a J-1772.

Four chargers? Then use one of these. if you need up to 60 amps (24KW).

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 10:00:59 AM »

I want to be able to use several sources with my 4 Diginow Superchargers.  I have two on each side, in aluminum panniers, with a J1772 socket for each pair.  I have adapters that will let me run 3 SCs from a NEMA 14-50, or each charger individually from a NEMA 5-15 outlet (at roughly half power and on separate circuits).

I'd also like to use Tesla destination chargers, and am interested in ideas about how best to do that.  It seems these come in 8kW and 16kW varieties (~40A and 80A).  An 8kW Tesla plug would run 2 SCs, perhaps using a TeslaTap Mini, like this:
https://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=17&product_id=143

One of these would allow me to plug in a Tesla EVSE plug into my J1772 socket, and then charge using 2 SCs.  So I would need two TeslaTaps to charge at the full rate using all 4 SCs.  Are these adapters any good?  They had better be, for the price!

The higher-power TeslaTap model would allow charging all 4 SCs from a single 16kW Tesla plug, but my J1772 sockets are only rated for 32A and this would be no advantage.

After we went out of business we gave away all our stuff. If I remember right I had 2 unfinished Tesla inlets I made and cast, but hadn't added the pins and Anderson connectors yet. I either gave them to Micah who is happy to give it to whoever wants, or another friend who poached it before Micah got here. I'll ask who has them and if they're planning to finish/use them.

I doubled up the wiring so someone in your situation would use it without fear of burning the wires up. Let me do some inquiring.

GoneToPlaid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 06:28:44 PM »

DonTom, the TeslaTap NEMA 14-50 looks like it would work, but it's a bit large for me.

MVetter, those Tesla inlets might be just what I need - thanks for looking into it.  I made an adapter with a 14-50 plug, and three sockets so I can plug in 3 SCs (~41A total, which seems ok on 50A breakers).  With the Tesla inlets, I'd make a similar adapter with four sockets, to use with 16kW EVSEs.  Then the other adapter would need just two sockets.  When charging from dual 8kW EVSEs, I'd run two SCs from each EVSE.  This would bypass my J1772 sockets and their signaling.  What signaling would I need to include in the Tesla adapter to coax the Tesla EVSE to turn on?

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 09:00:08 PM »

D What signaling would I need to include in the Tesla adapter to coax the Tesla EVSE to turn on?
That stuff is built into the Tesla receptacle just as it is with a J-1772. So you shouldn't have to be concerned with it. At least that is the way my Tesla to 14-50R box works. There is a diode that I can only see on an ohmmeter on the Tesla inlet. There is nothing in the box except wires.

BTW, the size of the Tesla to 14-50R box is 9.5" by 7" by 4".

I made my 14-50P to 120 VAC outlets by using one of these. I just snap off the 120 VAC plug and put on my 14-50R. Makes it easy. It's 12 gauge  cable, but does't get all that warm even with 8KW charging.

I don't want to change the 120 VAC plugs  on my Elcon chargers as they are used with other adapters, so they get 240 VAC on them. Those are what the chargers came with anyway. Besides, they can also be used at 120 VAC at half the wattage, if ever necessary.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X