• April 24, 2024, 09:49:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Here is a company that repairs Zero motorcycle battery packs  (Read 1655 times)

2020_SRS_Commuter

• View Profile
Here is a company that repairs Zero motorcycle battery packs
« on: March 31, 2021, 01:44:55 AM »

I cant  vouch for this as I have not needed a repair, but I watched a video from this company that repairs Teslas on YouTube and asked if they repair Zero motorcycle batteries, and he says they do.

https://grubermotors.com/

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: Here is a company that repairs Zero motorcycle battery packs
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 02:57:02 AM »

I cant  vouch for this as I have not needed a repair, but I watched a video from this company that repairs Teslas on YouTube and asked if they repair Zero motorcycle batteries, and he says they do.

https://grubermotors.com/
I wonder of they also can do Energica batteries. But too bad they are in Phoenix, AZ and and not here in Reno. >:(   Getting the battery out and shipping it to them sounds like a big hassle.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 03:30:19 AM »

What exactly do you mean when you say repair? You realize the pack is fully potted, right?

Auriga

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 04:07:10 AM »

I am extremely skeptical they can repair modern >2013 Zero batteries. Older. non potted Zero batteries and Tesla batteries are not potted, and should be doable.
To get access to any of the connections or a cell in a potted battery you'd have to cut all the way in with a mill or something.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 04:52:50 AM »

Maybe they have some sort of secret chemical that dissolves potting goop without damaging the cells.   ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 11:01:29 AM »

A non-polar solve t could do that, theoretically.  Like orange oil.  But yeah, sounds like a pain.  And Tesla packs are filled with goo, too.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

2020_SRS_Commuter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 02:03:12 AM »

All I can say is they repair Tesla battery packs and they have Youtube videos about it. So I posted a question to the channel , do they repair Zero battery packs, and the guy replied back that they do. Maybe call them if you need such a service and he can explain it. 

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 06:29:47 AM »

Got it, so the person responding to their YouTube channel is likely wrong.

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 09:36:22 AM »

I know you have good intention with that post, however i also listened their video and the "repair" they do is replacing deffective module from a serie inside the cell. The problem is that you have to get very well matched cells the same age , capacity and internal resistance to get long term good result.

They actually dont rebuild pack with new cells It is WAY TOO MUCG COMPLICATED and would cost million dollars in investment to get spotwelding machine, ultra ssonic welder  and have acces to the fresh cells and maybe print  with 3D printer some cell holder they would have scanned with some 3D lidar camera... etc

I talked to Mr Gruber himself about the last video of the authopsy of a Tesla Roadster battery slice and the cells  are all glued with epoxy to the holder ... = nearly impossible  operation to get bad cells out and replace them with teh matched cells.

I myself repair various lithium battery since 15 years now and the most difficult part is not find the problem.. it is to find cells that match the exact characteristics of the rest of the cells that are still good inside the pack.

It is possible to just swap deffective cells or cell modules.. however the "succes" wont last long aks the unbalance between the older cells and the new replaced cells will get more and more important and eventually the weakest link in the serie of cells willmake that battery with very low capacity

I like Gruber motor as they explain very well at a great rate everybody can easy understand, but a truely repaired pack that last long will not appear in the coming years in their garage i think.

Doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2021, 07:20:20 PM »

Thanks for calling attention to this Gruber garage.  i followed your link to their youtube list of videos and watched a few.  I saw them find a faulty cell out of 5000 or maybe 7000 and just snip it free.  I think there were 16 in parallel.  It is a bit hard to discuss without the specific video clarified.

8 year warranty for Tesla
Proprietary aspect
replace component vs repair component
parts no longer available aspect
Tesla hard to deal with for parts but the suppliers they use are worse.

The one I watched the alternative was $20,000 parts and labor at Tesla for whole new battery.  Would that have an 8 year warranty?  How much to do their repair of isolate the bad 8+ year old cell and do their fix.

Hopefully the total cost of ownership crowd here (tco) watches a few of these.  Wonder what they pay for Tesla vehicles that are not or harldy working.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 07:22:39 PM by Fran K »

2020_SRS_Commuter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 02:23:21 AM »

Thanks for the education. So when the problem is a bad battery within the pack, what they are doing is making the pack have slightly less capacity by disconnecting faulty sections or batteries and leaving the rest intact? That way they wouldn't need to find a replacement  that matches the current state of the batteries in the rest of the power pack?

I was imagining the thing as sort of like a gun magazine where the structure is re-used, and you reload with new batteries. Ah well. Too bad.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 03:11:34 AM »

I was imagining the thing as sort of like a gun magazine where the structure is re-used, and you reload with new batteries. Ah well. Too bad.
Yes, but that would be more expensive.  They probably do that, too, at least for the older battery packs.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 12:19:11 PM »

I know you have good intention with that post, however i also listened their video and the "repair" they do is replacing deffective module from a serie inside the cell. The problem is that you have to get very well matched cells the same age , capacity and internal resistance to get long term good result.

They actually dont rebuild pack with new cells It is WAY TOO MUCG COMPLICATED and would cost million dollars in investment to get spotwelding machine, ultra ssonic welder  and have acces to the fresh cells and maybe print  with 3D printer some cell holder they would have scanned with some 3D lidar camera... etc

I talked to Mr Gruber himself about the last video of the authopsy of a Tesla Roadster battery slice and the cells  are all glued with epoxy to the holder ... = nearly impossible  operation to get bad cells out and replace them with teh matched cells.

I myself repair various lithium battery since 15 years now and the most difficult part is not find the problem.. it is to find cells that match the exact characteristics of the rest of the cells that are still good inside the pack.

It is possible to just swap deffective cells or cell modules.. however the "succes" wont last long aks the unbalance between the older cells and the new replaced cells will get more and more important and eventually the weakest link in the serie of cells willmake that battery with very low capacity

I like Gruber motor as they explain very well at a great rate everybody can easy understand, but a truely repaired pack that last long will not appear in the coming years in their garage i think.

Doc

It really is hard to stress how much this is probably the best post on this forum all year. I wish everyone would read this and take it to heart. Well-said, Stephane.

alby62

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2021, 01:13:42 PM »

forse anno un magazzeno di batterie  usate  ma funzionanti  aventi  tante  caratteristiche  diverse , da poter inserire nei pacchi batterie da riparare usare   

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2021, 01:36:16 PM »

forse anno un magazzeno di batterie  usate  ma funzionanti  aventi  tante  caratteristiche  diverse , da poter inserire nei pacchi batterie da riparare usare
In English:

"perhaps it has a warehouse of used but functioning batteries with many different characteristics, that they can be inserted into the battery packs to be repaired"

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X
Pages: [1] 2