• April 24, 2024, 09:17:07 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 3G Sunset  (Read 302 times)

karlh

• View Profile
3G Sunset
« on: April 04, 2021, 04:29:52 AM »

If you haven't already heard, 3G cell phone service is rapidly disappearing.  Some cell phone providers have already terminated support for 3G, and those that still support it will be out of the 3G business soon.  Why is this important?  The Cellular Communications Module (CCM) in the Zero SR/F and SR/S models is 3G.  I had mine replaced recently under warranty and checked the label before it was installed.  If you're having cellular connection issues with your SR/F or SR/S, 3G availability may be part of the problem.

The auto industry seems to be more aware of this issue than Zero.  Subaru has issued two Service Bulletins relating to reprogramming or replacing 3G modules in their cars.  When I talked to Zero about my defective CCM, the tech seemed surprised to hear about 3G's disappearance.  Hopefully he will pass tghe word along and Zero will step up with new hardware or software (or better yet, outsource it to a competent 3rd party).
Karl
2020 SR/S
2007 BMW R1200ST
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Auriga

• View Profile
Re: 3G Sunset
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 06:49:14 AM »

I know Zero is aware of this, and will have a 4G version of the module soon. I do not know what, if anything, they plan to do for current owners with modules that are sunsetted.

In the US and EU I believe the 3G sunset date hasn't happened yet. Verizon won't do it until the end of 2022 and AT&T in early 2022
I don't think this has anything to do with current ccm issues.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Re: 3G Sunset
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 10:00:57 AM »

The 3G sunset is more of a support issue with networks ditching their obligations than any outside reason.

I don't think there's anything Zero could have done about it.  WiFi will still work.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5
Pages: [1]