• March 28, 2024, 08:16:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Power Tank  (Read 414 times)

Levin2000

• View Profile
Power Tank
« on: April 16, 2021, 06:09:23 AM »

Hello everyone,

So I have a question about the optional Zero power tank. I own a 2020 Zero S and could use a bit more range. I use it for my commute to work and before COVID I could get there and back with 20-30% remaining. However with less traffic (yay!) comes more speed... And less range. Unfortunately if I can't really go slower on the highway to get better range least I get run over, so I'm thinking about a power tank. Also before someone suggests it, there is no where to plug it at work.

So has anyone added one? Especially to an S? I read it messes with the geometry something fierce, but was hoping to hear how bad that is. Also read it might be a waste if not installed when you buy the bike because the new power tank cells don't match with the old monolith ones. Would that be true on a bike just over a year old?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Take care,
-Levin

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Power Tank
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 06:19:00 AM »

I was worried about the PT not matching up with the rest of my 2018 Zero's pack so I asked that the PT be installed at the factory and that is what happened. So far my bike is working as intended with no issues. I have no idea what might happen if the PT is installed a year after placing the bike into service. Perhaps you should contact your dealer and see what they say.

The additional 42 pounds of weight forward and up high does affect the handling when on S-curves and when trying to change directions quickly. Also it seems to wear out the front tire very fast. The stock tire on my Zero wore out in 5K miles, while the rear tire is still hanging in there after 9K miles - but just barely. I keep both tires inflated to 34 psi as recommended by Zero.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

T.S. Zarathustra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 01:19:42 PM »

There was a guy in Netherlands who put a fairing on his Zero. Claims over 20% extra range. Sounds like something to look into if you're mostly doing high speeds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqv6UlkpdIc
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 03:09:57 PM by T.S. Zarathustra »

Levin2000

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 05:59:12 AM »

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it would be a bad idea for the reasons I already suspected. Really poor geometry and the new cells won’t mesh with the monolith. And while a fairing could be an option it’d have to look better than that picture... truly an eyesore there. Really should have just gone with the SR vs the S. Hindsight and all...

Take care,
-Levin

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2021, 02:06:27 PM »

The SR/S with a fairing has only been available for about fourteen months.  That video is from three years ago.  Also, the S platform is still significantly cheater than the newer F platform bikes,

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

mdjak1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2021, 07:41:25 PM »

There was a guy in Netherlands who put a fairing on his Zero. Claims over 20% extra range. Sounds like something to look into if you're mostly doing high speeds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqv6UlkpdIc

OP should probably start with a windscreen for his S.   You don't really need to be going that fast for the aerodynamic benefits. 

Camellia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 06:32:24 AM »

OP, can you find an alternate route to work that uses smaller streets with lower speed?
2020 Zero SR with Charge Tank
Pages: [1]