• April 25, 2024, 04:30:30 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: measuring fairing efficiency: SR/F efficiency trip reset  (Read 565 times)

peterwarm

• View Profile
measuring fairing efficiency: SR/F efficiency trip reset
« on: April 19, 2021, 03:47:29 AM »

I want to do some common trips with and without a fairing to see how much difference it makes.

I plan on using the trip Wh/mile measurement for a there and back trip on my local highway in the UK (A38).

I have set the trip Wh/mile display in one of the four  custom sectors, and the manual says it will be reset when the trip is reset.

has anyone tried this? Do they mean trip A or trip B or either? anybody know?

Thanks
pete

Nov 2019 Blue SR/F  doesnt like rain - 2 rebuilds now Ok
Windscreen / 12kW Charge
Underseat 13A(UK) and Type2 cables
SRS pegs / keyless rear seat and tank hatch
... fairing......?

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Re: measuring fairing efficiency: SR/F efficiency trip reset
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 07:06:09 AM »

Only the 'A' trip meter is reset every trip.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

peterwarm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 02:07:14 AM »

Thanks Crissa, I concur.  Only thing is, I have to stop to reset the A trip, but thats not bad. 

Now looking for a nice highway to act as a test track around 70 mph.
pete
Windscreen / 12kW Charge
... fairing......?

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 04:12:37 AM »

It really won't make any difference, except to your comfort...

Cas :)

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 11:41:47 PM »

I plan on using the trip Wh/mile measurement for a there and back trip on my local highway in the UK (A38).

The data this gives is in no way accurate.

peterwarm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 04:23:42 AM »

I take your point, MVetter.  Its all rough software.
Got any other suggestions to make it more accurate?
eg travel 50 miles / two way for wind / keep the battery in the middle range..??
Windscreen / 12kW Charge
... fairing......?

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 07:24:26 AM »

Hey Peter, I don't usually come on here, but a friend at Zero referred this to me as they knew I've been doing testing the past year, and while SOC isn't always accurate, at least before the latest firmware, the trip wh/mile is very accurate.  But because of the way it calculates, the further you go the more accurate it becomes.   As it only divides wh consumed by distance every half mile.  So the wh/mile will tick up and up and then take a jump down.  However after 40 miles this is unnoticeable.

Although it's pretty challenging to get the same number each time, even on the same route.  The more you work on it, the better you will get.  But I would suggest doing 10 identical runs and compare the results.  However put a piece of electrical tape over the dash so you can't see the result until you get home, so you aren't tempted to adjust anything along the way second guessing that you might have done something different the first half and want to make up for it.  Just don't let yourself see it until the test is over.   But I would be willing to bet that if you do 10 runs, that your results from highest to lowest are 10% off.  And because of that it will be impossible to tell the benefit of the fairing until you can get all your runs to be within 5% of each other.  Until those results are repeatable, don't bother changing anything.

I'll give some pointers I've learned.  Use the max speed in the ride mode, and then just hold the throttle wide open the whole test until you cross the finish point.  Do a highway loop and accelerate to the max speed by turning full throttle from the side of the highway where you start the test after you have reset the trip meter.  (if you don't like accelerating fast turn the torque down in the ride mode, but accelerate to max speed the exact same each time and then hold it there until you cross the same finish point and then hit the kill switch while you coast to a stop).  Make sure wind is less than 5 knots (use windy.com), even though you will be doing a loop to negate wind.  More than 5 knots will make the headwind trip use more energy than you gain with the tail wind and your wh/mile will be higher.  Make sure the temperature is within 3 degrees each time you do a test.  5 degrees colder will increase aerodynamic drag 1%.  Wear the exact same pants and jacket each time.  Tighter clothing will give better wh/mile than looser clothing that flaps more in the wind.

Good luck, I look forward to your results.  Someone tag me on facebook or post a link when there is a reply to this.  I haven't logged on to EMF in over 4 years I think.   Or at least since the narcissist-in-chief was elected in late 2016, I basically just stayed on facebook only, just in case he tried to do something completely nuts to try to destroy our democracy like he eventually ended up doing Jan 6th, and so I just got used to just staying on facebook to keep in touch with real time news which doesn't happen on this forum.  Although things are so much better and safer the past few months, maybe it's time to come back here again
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 07:34:32 AM by Electric Terry »
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2021, 07:50:24 AM »

Jesus, Terry, you turned a discussion about fairings political.

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2021, 09:31:00 AM »

I was just explaining the reason I was gone for 4 years.  There wasn't anything political to discuss, just the reason I was gone as I'm sure people wanted to know.  I was worried from the very beginning that douchebag would do something exactly like he did, and I was worried about it every day.  I mean, that just the facts.  And I was sure someone was going to ask me why I haven't been here in so long, so thought it was good to explain.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 09:32:42 AM by Electric Terry »
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2021, 10:08:02 AM »

Only the 'A' trip meter is reset every trip.

-Crissa
I think it is with  every charge above 95% SOC  with  my  two Zeros.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2021, 11:42:23 AM »

Thanks, Terry!  That's a pretty detailed answer ^-^;

And yeah, it was pretty hard to do things with the prior administration in the news every day.  Just so much worry and distraction.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2021, 12:39:02 PM »

Got any other suggestions to make it more accurate?
eg travel 50 miles / two way for wind / keep the battery in the middle range..??

I guess check out the Cycle Analyst; it's a purpose built tool for 2-wheeled vehicle efficiency data-gathering.

Other data you may want to get weird with is the weight of the vehicle and its rider altogether for each ride, ambient temperature over time, and RTK telemetry. There are some very affordable RTK telemetry options lately based on the uBlox ZED-F9P module... as an example there's even a bloke out there who fitted a couple pairs of base/rover pairs to their skis to quantify skidded turn shapes.

The RTK Surveyor product developed by SparkFun is interesting to me for an unrelated project though unfortunately out of stock. I digress, you don't need to have some fancy widget but if you did it would let you handily collect data for slope and acceleration.

Quite a lot of data can be inferred from the bike control module logs if you are able to parse them.

I have no personal experience using the Cycle Analyst though IIRC perhaps Terry does?

References to the Cycle Analyst:
+ 2015 Zero Mod thread!
+ Cycle Analyst install on 2012-2013 Zero
Pages: [1]