• April 27, 2024, 08:17:51 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ridden multple Zero models? Which is your favorite and why?  (Read 975 times)

mdjak1

• View Profile

After the dealer having possession of my bike longer than I have (long story in another thread), I've finally gotten it back and have been enjoying riding it.  While I didn't have it, I scanned various online classified at other used/new Zeros and wondered what they were like to ride.   While visiting my son in CA I even stopped by a San Jose dealer to see what they had in stock. 

It makes me wonder; for those who have ridden multiple Zero models, which Zero model is the most fun to ride and why do you feel that way?

Here is what I am currently enjoying for it sheer light weight, great maneuverability and quick punch.

flynnstig82r

• Just another lanesplitter
    • View Profile
Re: Ridden multple Zero models? Which is your favorite and why?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 01:24:56 AM »

I’ve ridden an S, SR/S, and my SR. The SR is my favorite. It’s a lot more powerful than the S, which is something I never thought I’d care about but I find that I actually use the power on electrics whereas on gas bikes I was never at more than 1/3 throttle because I don’t enjoy making a racket and being seen as “that guy”.

Compared to the SR/S, I was surprised to find that I preferred the SR due to its lighter weight, more relaxed riding position, higher efficiency, greater variety of aftermarket accessories, and less intrusive electronics. The SR/S had better feel in the corners and a few other advantages but as a daily ride I’d rather have the SR even at the same price. Technically the SR/S is a lot more powerful but I didn’t really notice a big difference.

I suspect that my favorite would be the DSR due to its upright riding position but I’ve never had the chance to put that to the test.
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 AE

Past bikes:
2020 Energica SS9 13.4 kWh
2017 Zero SR 13.0 kWh
2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring
2016 MV Agusta Turismo Veloce 800
2012 Yamaha FZ6R

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 01:44:39 AM »

I owned a 2016 DSR for three years, then bought a SR/F in 2019.  I liked the ride position a little better on the DSR, but on the highway, the SR/F was just way more "stable".  The SR/F just feels more "grounded" and I am more confident in corners with it.  I modified my SR/F with SR/S foot pegs and a 1.5" bar riser and like the riding position better now.  I would never go back.  I originally bought the DSR due to the riding position over the SR at the time (I did ride both in 2016).

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 04:03:16 AM »

I've ridden an S and an FXS, the FXS was too tall for my skill level ^-^

Maybe some day.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 09:04:03 AM »

After the dealer having possession of my bike longer than I have (long story in another thread), I've finally gotten it back and have been enjoying riding it.  While I didn't have it, I scanned various online classified at other used/new Zeros and wondered what they were like to ride.   While visiting my son in CA I even stopped by a San Jose dealer to see what they had in stock. 

It makes me wonder; for those who have ridden multiple Zero models, which Zero model is the most fun to ride and why do you feel that way?

Here is what I am currently enjoying for it sheer light weight, great maneuverability and quick punch.

My most used Zero is my smallest one.  My 2017 Zero DS (7.2 battery). But I cannot say I have a favorite, depends on where I am going. But if I was forced to only have one electric motorcycle, that Zero DS would be it for many reasons. One is that it is light enough to take on my RV trips, on my trailer hitch. Also light is nice on small unpaved roads, which I fairly often use. And it's even fast enough for the freeway, but I normally use side streets where possible.  And these days, the small battery isn't much of an issue in most areas I ride in because of the number of charge stations. They are everywhere around here. I have taken that little bike to Carson City, Silver Springs, Genoa, Virginia City, NV and Markleeville, CA and I can charge it back to full at any of those locations. In fact, you can see that bike at all those locations on Plugshare.

So that is my most useful bike.

For just pure riding a long distance, I prefer my Energica. But if it had to be a Zero, it would be my Zero SR with Power Tank and I can charge it at 8 KW.

But the Zero I like the best of all is the one I do not own. The Zero SR/S. I found that to be a very nice comply bike.

I have ridden all the common electric bikes. My least favorite would be the HD Livewire. And I didn't think much of the Zero SR/F, but it sure performed very well. Those two didn't fit me quite right, but there were other reasons, such as no decent luggage available for the LW. And the very slow charging on the LW, both on CCS as well as 240 VAC, when compared to my Energica.

What I really like about the Zero SR/S is decent hard luggage as well as a centerstand can be added. And has a frame mounted fairing, which I always prefer.

IMO, they should add a reverse to the more heavy Zeros. I find that to be very handy on my Energica.

I doubt if the day will come in my lifetime where electric bikes can go everywhere. AFAIK, there isn't a single electric bike made today that can get from Reno to Salt Lake City on I-80.  Especially at the speeds most go at (80 MPH is the speed limit and the traffic is usually a little faster than that).

I think the bottom line is there is no favorite bike for me. But there are definite favorites for different trips.  And that included ICE bikes.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2021, 03:16:46 PM »

Well... assuming you've got another 10 years left in you, you might see them double in range in that time if we get solid state batteries. And if not in range, then at least charging time will be slashed.

Cas :)

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2021, 08:47:46 PM »

Well... assuming you've got another 10 years left in you, you might see them double in range in that time if we get solid state batteries. And if not in range, then at least charging time will be slashed.

Cas :)
The biggest problem today, IMO, with electrics, are the charge station locations. Grouped together very close in some areas and no existence in other areas.

Form here gong west on I-80, in CA, there are charge stations almost every exit, from Truckee, CA on.  Going east on the same interstate  freeway, one has to make it to Winnemucca, 136 miles from Fernley, the charge station before. That is with CCS.  J-1772 is even worse, as none in Fernley. And to keep up with the traffic, it's at least 80 MPH  most of the way.

And that is the major freeway in this part of NV. Ironically, there are more charge stations on the much less used roads in NV, opposite of CA.

I don't find the range on a charge and the charge times and to be a major issue, when charging is 6KW or above. But where the charge stations are located is a major issue for electric motorcycles. Still too many places we cannot get to. But it is improving.

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2021, 10:19:29 PM »

As this comes down to personal preference I will tell you which Zero(s) I'd want if someone told me they were going to give me a free Zero of my choice. It would be a tossup between:

- The FXS. This bike is so stupidly fun, light, and powerful. I have said it before, and I will say it again: Everyone should test ride an FXS at some point.

- The SR/S with the Rapid Charge module. This is the only acceptable Zero for wanting to ride longer distances in a day comfortably.

Eicas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2021, 11:26:31 PM »

For me it was first about the ergonomics, and the SR/S Premium fits me the best.  On just about all of my  previous bikes I have had to change seats, handlebars, and/or footpegs to try and make them comfortable.  Not necessary here.

I also wanted a bit of fairing for winter rides and increased efficiency.

I typically ride up to around 80 mile trips in a town and country mix and this bike has met all of my expectations and needs without modifications.

Also love the performance, although it is way more than I need or can even use!  I ride mostly "Street" mode with some "Rain" and "Eco", - never tried "Performance".

Kill3rT0fu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2021, 05:16:17 PM »

On just about all of my  previous bikes I have had to change seats, handlebars, and/or footpegs to try and make them comfortable.  Not necessary here.

This was me with the SR/F. I went to the dealer set on test riding one to buy. Sat on it and was immediately put off. It just didn't feel right or comfortable. Sat on the SR and was right at home.

Looking back, I see now that there's aftermarket seats for the SR/F, and pegs, and handlebars....but I shouldn't have to spend an additional $1000 to get a comfy ride that won't destroy my already broken back.

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2021, 04:02:23 PM »

On just about all of my  previous bikes I have had to change seats, handlebars, and/or footpegs to try and make them comfortable.  Not necessary here.

This was me with the SR/F. I went to the dealer set on test riding one to buy. Sat on it and was immediately put off. It just didn't feel right or comfortable. Sat on the SR and was right at home.

Looking back, I see now that there's aftermarket seats for the SR/F, and pegs, and handlebars....but I shouldn't have to spend an additional $1000 to get a comfy ride that won't destroy my already broken back.

I agree, they did a better job with the SR/S (for my old body).  The "upgrade" for me was pretty cheap (SR/F).  The SR/S pegs and a bar riser were probably less than $250.00 (It's been a couple years now, I don't recall the exact $$$).  It only took a few minutes to install both.  It was lucky that the cables were long enough to avoid any re-work when raising the bars.  Really big difference in comfort for me.

Steve

2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2021, 04:14:07 AM »

FXS is my favorite.  I rode the FX, S, DS, and SR at a Zero factory demo day.  I really thought I wanted an SR and the FXS totally surprised me with how fun it is.  I mistakenly thought the FXS would feel weak compared to the SR, but not so.  It's so light and nimble and acceleration below 60 feels almost as strong.  The range has fit my needs for the last five years and the light weight is also a plus because it makes it easy to muscle around if I need to maneuver it into a tight space.
  I plan to move to an SR soon solely for the extra range that my new commute will require.  I will definitely miss my FXS.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

staples

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2021, 08:46:59 AM »

Test rode an FXS and was sold instantly. Never even tried another one. Range and charging were not really a concern for me since my commute was only 10 miles, and I mostly wanted a Zero as a commuter / city bike for Chicago.

Accelerashawn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2021, 08:51:53 PM »

Test rode an FXS and was sold instantly. Never even tried another one. Range and charging were not really a concern for me since my commute was only 10 miles, and I mostly wanted a Zero as a commuter / city bike for Chicago.
I agree with this.  Tried the FX, was sold instantly.

Since I planned on doing some light off-roading with my hooligan sister and her surrons... I checked out the FX, my local dealer had one on the floor with 5 miles on it...test drove it...accidentally wheelied and held it like i knew what i was doing (lol)...and decided i wanted it.  Nevermind the literally 3 cars that pulled right out on top of me because they hardly saw and definitely didn't hear me coming.

I was also not concerned with range as my commute is max 30 miles per day...but I wish I would have thought harder about the range and got the DSR instead.  Although, the FX is already twice what I've ever spent on a motorcycle before and i've had quite a few really nice super-scooters.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2021, 01:31:27 AM »

I've only ridden my DS but I feel like it's the ideal model for me, if I could only have one. An FXS would probably be a bit more fun on road and perhaps just as capable off road with a tyre change but I'd miss the storage and faster charging of the DS (especially as I plan on getting a charge tank), and while a DSR would be a lot more fun on road I'd again be giving up some storage (all storage once I get the charge tank) and I like how light the DS is.
Pages: [1] 2