• April 28, 2024, 04:29:14 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Zero SR 2018 - how is it on a rainy day?  (Read 388 times)

MrMogensen

• View Profile
Zero SR 2018 - how is it on a rainy day?
« on: July 05, 2021, 01:21:42 PM »

Since I haven't bought that 2nd hand Energica yet (and maybe glad I didn't since they just came up with the new EMCE engine which seems pretty awesome)... I am now looking for a temporary electric bike. Have seen a few german 2nd hand Zero SR 2018 for sale that looks interesting.

The thing that ruins the look of the Zero SR is for me that long tail. It might be practical but I just don't like it. Mounting something aftermarket is pretty easy standard stuff, but I'm concerned it's a bad idea since I usually don't hold back from commuting on the bike even though it might look like a rainy day.

Good/Bad experiences with aftermarket fender eliminators?

I thought about it a few times for my FZ6 but it did the conversion on this I couldn't use the SW-Motech quicklock kit I have for the sidebags.
MrMogensen / Currently Yamaha FZ6 (since 2008)
I want a Ribelle. Decided to postpone it because we are soon moving to a more expensive house near my work. Bike will then no longer be for commuting but for fun and an add-on to only being a 1 car household.

TNCreator

• View Profile
Re: Zero SR 2018 - how is it on a rainy day?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 06:21:20 PM »

With everything stock, it is a disaster in terms of rain protection, the tail is covered in dirty water. So I really think it can't be much worse.
And be careful on the wet, it is insanely easy to lose the rear, you will really have to re-learn how to progressively apply throttle seeing you're currently riding a 4cyl ICE. Crashed mine after 3000km despite never losing the rear during 10 years of ICE bikes.

Or get an electric bike with traction control.

MrMogensen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 06:53:21 PM »

Traction Control was one of the reason I ditched the idea of buying an early Energica (and because the new models are vastly improved).

And yes my Yamaha is nearly dead below 4-5.000 rpm… magic starts at 7.000.
Was at a track event 5 years ago when parts of the track was covered in water (somewhere more than 1cm. No traction or ABS but maybe the low torque deep down saved me where others fell.

But thanks… it pains me a bit because I want to go full EV. Already have EV car and home charger since last year.
I want a Ribelle. Decided to postpone it because we are soon moving to a more expensive house near my work. Bike will then no longer be for commuting but for fun and an add-on to only being a 1 car household.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 07:55:22 PM »

Zero sells a cheap and easy to install wider fender that helps a bit. Also, installing a top box will do a fair job of reducing the amount of gorp that covers your back when riding in the rain.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 08:04:17 PM »

Cheapest ebike with TC is the SR/F. There are a few 2019 bikes coming up 2nd hand now, depreciation isn't too steep so they aren't especially cheap yet, but that bodes well for selling it on if it's only a temporary measure.
I wouldn't ride an ebike without TC myself, same reasons I don't want to ride without ABS again. Life is far too precious and bikes are far too expensive to let a trivial mistake ruin everything.

Cas :)

MrMogensen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2021, 03:04:10 AM »

Any mentionable differences between 2019-2021 SR/F ?

There is a few that might be of interest in Germany. They are really pretty close to the few SR that’s for sale.

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2021, 03:30:00 AM »

No differences, just bold new graphics.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2021, 03:47:43 AM »

No differences, just bold new graphics.

That seems to be a trend lately. Even BMW is going with BNG for 2022.  ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Gains

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2021, 08:07:47 PM »

I live in Belgium and ride my 2017 SR almost every day, even iwhen it snows. I made a rear fender to keep the mud off my back, and I kwow people that are happy with the zero mudguard, so that is not realy an issue. About loosing the rear, since I know no ICE bike that is as smooth on the throttle as a zero, that shouldn t be a problem either, if you have any experience on a motorcycle. If you select eco on rainy rides, there isn t much torque left.
https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=10193.0;attach=12357
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 08:24:32 PM by Gains »

DerKrawallkeks

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2021, 08:36:19 PM »

I got the R&G Tailtidy for my Zero S, and I can confirm that it's about as bad as the stock long tail. The stock one has no real surface area to catch any dirt, while the aftermarket tail is slightly too short to catch the dirt (see picture). A small 3cm extension should solve all problems.
Pages: [1]