• April 28, 2024, 07:23:06 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Downsides to a chain conversion?  (Read 1231 times)

Auriga

• View Profile
Re: Downsides to a chain conversion?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2021, 09:38:13 AM »

If the manufacturer sets the speed by GPS totally separate from the
gearing, then yes, they could be made the same.
It doesn't even need to be GPS, it just has to be based off the speeding reading and not the motor RPM. We just don't know which method Zero uses until someone slaps a chain kit on an 11kW model and lets us know if it can still hit 86mph (the non-11kW models may not be able to spin the motor fast enough to reach 98mph with lower gearing).

Zero calculates speed on the speedometer based on motor rpm, and known socket sizes set in software. No fancy GPS. GonetoPlaid is right, dealers will change the socket sizes to fix the speedo.

There is an rpm limit on the motor, and that provides the upper speed bound. If I recall, the motor will hit that at top speed on non 11kW bikes, therefore it shouldn't get to therated  top speed with the stock sprockets. I think GonetoPlaid could though, since he's almost at the original sprocket sizes with the chain.

While the 11kW bike motor is physically capable of going faster, the MBB and controller FW is hard coded to limit the power by limiting rpm. I suspect you could change the sprocket sizes on an 11kW bike to get more speed or more torque, but you'll have less to work with than a full power bike.

At least that is what Zero told us when they trained us  :)

Manzanita

• 2014 Zero S Woodland, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2021, 10:40:39 AM »

At Thunderhill raceway I was in the paddock with a chain-driven Zero going by repeatedly, down the back straight. All you hear is chain! With no engine sound, it's loud! Not sure what that is like as rider, though  :-\

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2021, 07:12:11 PM »

added noise and maintenance.

Maintenance is cleaning and lubing every 600 km or after every wet ride or washing the bike.

Not an issue for off road use, there you'll want to wash your bike after every ride anyway
For commute this is hell :D.

Adjusting tension is similar. Lifetime of chain is typically longer than Zero belts.
2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---

angrygirafe

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2021, 08:40:11 AM »

Already been covered, but I’ll say it too: chains are WAY more expensive (with sprockets), much higher maintenance (more cost), and lower lifespan if comparing ideal cases (so, even more cost). And a good chain breaker/riveter (which you want to avoid the service fee) is around 100$. And it’s still really easy to mess up the rivet type master links, and then you need to replace that, or your chain life will be even worse. Hopefully you already have a torque wrench

A poorly maintained chain CAN break, and when it does at speed, it’s going to be breaking everything on your bike that’s in it’s way.

I’ve only had motorcycles as personal vehicles since 2015, riding up to 25k miles a year. never had a problem with chains, but  I got the Zero BECAUSE of the low maintenance cost. A chain is way more reliable, but if you’re concern is cost, it’s a step backwards.
Pages: 1 [2]