• March 28, 2024, 05:00:55 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Power Tank Question  (Read 511 times)

Flybuddy

• View Profile
Power Tank Question
« on: June 12, 2021, 09:21:21 PM »

Coming up on a month that I've owned a 21 S, 7.2. Put 700+miles on it and various mods/accessories. From what I've read adding a power tank with 45 pounds up high negatively impacts the handling. The 3.6 battery pack looks like it would easily fit in the center storage space where, if it were an SR, the back half of the 14.4 battery would be. Why did Zero opt to NOT use this space for battery add on when it is more central and lower and no need to swap out plastic.

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: Power Tank Question
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 10:55:45 PM »

Coming up on a month that I've owned a 21 S, 7.2. Put 700+miles on it and various mods/accessories. From what I've read adding a power tank with 45 pounds up high negatively impacts the handling. The 3.6 battery pack looks like it would easily fit in the center storage space where, if it were an SR, the back half of the 14.4 battery would be. Why did Zero opt to NOT use this space for battery add on when it is more central and lower and no need to swap out plastic.
I can think of a couple of  reasons.

Such as:

They are not doing to redesign the powertank stuff for just the smaller battery, which will mean a higher cost to customers.

I doubt if many with a 7.2KWH battery will want the power tank. If they wanted more range, they would go with the 14.4KW  battery to begin with.

I wouldn't add a power tank to my DS if it were for free. No matter where they put it.   I want to keep that bike as light as possible. For longer range stuff, I have my SR with the  power tank.  There, I don't care so much about  the weight. Until I drop it!

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 11:51:42 PM »

As Don said, for those that want more range they can just get a 14.4 model. A power tank costs £3k but a 14.4 only costs a little over £2k more than a 7.2. The only cases where it makes sense is for those who get a particularly good deal on a used 7.2 or if they don't have the money up front to step up to a 14.4, but those are a small percentage of an already small market. I suppose you could also argue that saving 20kg could be a reason to add one to a 7.2, but even then I think most people would take the extra weight if it means it's placed lower down.

Flybuddy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 01:25:15 AM »

As Don said, for those that want more range they can just get a 14.4 model. A power tank costs £3k but a 14.4 only costs a little over £2k more than a 7.2. The only cases where it makes sense is for those who get a particularly good deal on a used 7.2 or if they don't have the money up front to step up to a 14.4, but those are a small percentage of an already small market. I suppose you could also argue that saving 20kg could be a reason to add one to a 7.2, but even then I think most people would take the extra weight if it means it's placed lower down.

Pricing in U.S. is basically 11K for S and 15.5 for SR.  The power tank runs 3K and part of that pricing is tank/plastic swap out. Basis of business is normally to sell more stuff and promote safety in your products. If battery add on was lower and more central it would be more desirable (more sales) as well as safer. It also may add to more charge tank sales as the tank area would be unused.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 01:54:36 AM »

Pricing in U.S. is basically 11K for S and 15.5 for SR.  The power tank runs 3K and part of that pricing is tank/plastic swap out. Basis of business is normally to sell more stuff and promote safety in your products. If battery add on was lower and more central it would be more desirable (more sales) as well as safer. It also may add to more charge tank sales as the tank area would be unused.
But you can also put in the double sized battery and add the charge tank.

The difference between the S and SR has nothing to do with the battery.

I cannot see many even wanting a power tank added to the 7.2 KW bikes, regardless of where they put it. Those should have bought the 14.4 to begin with and get twice the range of an added power tank. As well as double the range of the bike.

-Don- 
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 02:32:52 AM »

You're comparing an S to an SR, the price difference is down to more than the battery capacity. Zero don't list the 7.2 S/DS on their site anymore despite them apparently still being available however the FX/FXS do come as 7.2 versions and their pricing is very close to the S/DS.

The power tank's primary purpose and selling point is to increase the range of the 14.4 models, that's what allowed them to brag about having the longest range electric motorcycle, and that is what most power tanks are installed on. I wouldn't be surprised if the cost of designing and manufacturing a 3.6 pack to go in the lower storage compartment would outweigh what they'd get from sales. As for running a charge tank and a power tank located in the lower compartment, again it would just make more sense to slap a charge tank on a 14.4 model and that way you can go even further before you need to charge (or charge for less time).

EDIT: Should've just read Don's post before making mine, it would seem we both think alike

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2021, 03:44:57 AM »

Didn't someone say that Zero didn't recommend a Power Tank that was a different age of the main battery?

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2021, 01:50:50 PM »

No that'd be the concerned aftermarket not the OEM supplier
Pages: [1]