• April 28, 2024, 12:19:14 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Headlight adjustment on an SR/S  (Read 530 times)

Mooseman

• View Profile
Headlight adjustment on an SR/S
« on: July 09, 2021, 10:24:36 PM »

So the other day it got dark before I made it home and this is when I realized that the headlights are pointed upward. I didn't think that could possibly be the case, I mean the bike is less than a month old and I paid $995 for a PDI. Apparently it's just yet another money grab and they don't really give a damn about the product they sell.

Anyway, rather than going back to a dealership I already hate, I tried to adjust the headlights myself. Unfortunately, it's not as easy as it sounds.

All the manual says is
The adjustment screw is located on the back of the headlamp in
the center. To adjust the headlight, turn the screw until the
correct beam alignment is achieved.

Said screw is difficult to access and it would've been helpful if Zero had given me any indication what kind of screwdriver I need. I mean "turn the screw" is not really helpful. What else am I supposed to do with it? Read it a bedtime story? Of course I have to turn it. But do I need a Phillips screwdriver, a nut, an Allan Key Screwdriver, a Torx or what? Since I can't see the screw I'd rather not just try something and potentially ruin the adjustment screw.

So much for the rant. Does anybody know what kind of tool I need to adjust the headlights?
2014 BMW K1600GT
2020 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD
2021 Zero piece of iron that doesn't work and can't be repaired

siai47

• View Profile
Re: Headlight adjustment on an SR/S
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 09:41:22 AM »

It's been awhile since I aimed the headlight and it is a bear to adjust it.  One thing I do remember is that when looking from the rear of the headlight assembly the manual shows the adjusters opposite of where they really are.  I.E., the up/down adjustment screw is on the opposite side of the bike than where is says it is.  I was never really happy with the headlight beam as the high and low beam adjust at the same time and I always had a dark gap between the two beams (right where it should have been the brightest).
1979 Honda CBX
2009 Aprilia Cube 250 Scooter
2016 Victory Empulse TT
2019 Can-Am Spyder
2020 SR/F (retired)

Mooseman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2021, 06:23:37 PM »

I finally managed to adjust my headlights. Somehow I got my phone in there and took pictures of the screw. After a few attempts it finally focused on the screw itself and it turned out it's a flathead screw. It might be different for other bikes, but at least on the SR/S the screw is precisely where the manual says it is. I eventually managed to lower the beam using a stubby flathead screwdriver. I yet have to test drive in the dark to see if it's okay now, but at least now I know how to adjust it.

Just wanted to share this info in case anybody else ever runs into that problem.
2014 BMW K1600GT
2020 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD
2021 Zero piece of iron that doesn't work and can't be repaired

lunarx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 10:18:35 AM »

I finally managed to adjust my headlights. Somehow I got my phone in there and took pictures of the screw. After a few attempts it finally focused on the screw itself and it turned out it's a flathead screw. It might be different for other bikes, but at least on the SR/S the screw is precisely where the manual says it is. I eventually managed to lower the beam using a stubby flathead screwdriver. I yet have to test drive in the dark to see if it's okay now, but at least now I know how to adjust it.

Just wanted to share this info in case anybody else ever runs into that problem.

Thanks for sharing  8)

My headlights have some condensation residue in them.
Only visible with the lights on.
Anyone else have that?
21 SR/S, 16 K1300s
Pages: [1]