• April 26, 2024, 12:01:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Silly FX charging question  (Read 734 times)

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
Silly FX charging question
« on: July 15, 2021, 04:31:44 AM »

I was just watching a video regarding the 2022 FXE and what jumped out at me was that it takes over 9 hours to charge the 7.2kWh battery.  That's the same amount of time I've seen quoted to charge the 14.4kWh battery in the SR/DSR.  Does that mean the FXE only pulls half the amps from the socket?
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

staples

• View Profile
Re: Silly FX charging question
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 04:35:56 AM »

Yes. It only has a 650W charger while the others have a 1.3kW charger.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 04:46:17 AM »

But you get 9.5 hours to think how much less weight you are carrying.

staples

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 05:20:02 AM »

I prefer to sleep while my FXS is charging.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 05:33:11 AM »

But you get 9.5 hours to think how much less weight you are carrying.
Out of curiosity I looked it up and the 1.3kW charger is only 4.7kg heavier than the 650W. Also a 7.2 S is only 11kg heavier than an FXS.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2021, 05:55:45 AM »

Yeah pure sarcasm on my end.
That's back to back funny posts that fell flat.  All well.

I was complaining the new FXE doesn't have one of the new 3kw chargers that the SRF/S has.  No good reason not to as it stays well below the 1C limit while making a range extending lunch stop charge up worth while.

staples

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2021, 07:37:23 AM »

Definitely agree. Until I bought an external charger and clamped it onto my FXS, I was entirely unable to do anything but my daily commute or a chill cruise (<100mi). Now it's actually a usable motorcycle. :P

electrictwowheeler

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2021, 12:16:06 PM »

Do you suppose they use the smaller charger because of the battery warranty? It's not going to make much difference if you charge occasionally at a higher rate when on a longer trip but if you doubled the charge rate every time you charged for the life of the battery that might have an adverse effect. Even with 650 watts it will always charge overnight. Are they protecting us from ourselves maybe?
2020 SR/S Premium
2007 Vectrix Lithium Conversion

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2021, 01:10:25 PM »

Pretty much.  Also, AC chargers are pretty directly limited in their size by their power.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2021, 03:35:10 PM »

Do you suppose they use the smaller charger because of the battery warranty? It's not going to make much difference if you charge occasionally at a higher rate when on a longer trip but if you doubled the charge rate every time you charged for the life of the battery that might have an adverse effect. Even with 650 watts it will always charge overnight. Are they protecting us from ourselves maybe?
That can't be the reason because they're fine with the 7.2 S/DS having a 1.3kW charger or even a 6kW charge tank.

mryan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2021, 10:09:42 PM »

Purely a cost concern. Aftermarket chargers run $600+ for 3.3kw, now imagine a nice OEM unit, like the 6.6kw charge tank, it cost 2.3k. They certainly could price the fx/s/e a few grand more, but then why not buy a beefier model?

Auriga

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2021, 11:15:03 PM »

Purely a cost concern. Aftermarket chargers run $600+ for 3.3kw, now imagine a nice OEM unit, like the 6.6kw charge tank, it cost 2.3k. They certainly could price the fx/s/e a few grand more, but then why not buy a beefier model?
Gotta remember too that those cheap chinese chargers don't meet US emissions regulations, and Zero has to meet those as a manufacturer. They had to develop their own 3kW charger with a 3rd party, and it's too big to fit on an FX in the same spot. Plus the J1772 inlet is larger too. So that's a new frame too.

The FX was designed many years ago, and chargers weren't nearly as small and efficient then. If you ask me, in the next 2-3 years we'l see everything that's not based on the SRF tech get replaced with an SRF variant. S/DS/DSR/SR/FX all will get replaced. That reduces the number of parts, updates the screen and app, improves charging, and gives them the greatest return on investment.

staples

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2021, 11:36:15 PM »

If you ask me, in the next 2-3 years we'l see everything that's not based on the SRF tech get replaced with an SRF variant. S/DS/DSR/SR/FX all will get replaced. That reduces the number of parts, updates the screen and app, improves charging, and gives them the greatest return on investment.

I think this is what we were all hoping for with the FXE. Maybe it was just me, but it was a let down.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2021, 12:18:19 AM »

I think that, instead of calling it the "FXE" (which indicates a brand new bike) they should've just called it the 2022 FXS.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2021, 12:28:15 AM »

I think that, instead of calling it the "FXE" (which indicates a brand new bike) they should've just called it the 2022 FXS.
The problem with that is they're still going to make the FXS (with the new dash from the FXE), however they could've called it the Huge Design edition similar to how they have the DSR Black Forest.
Pages: [1] 2