Tech > Tech Help

2018 Zero S - lights don't work

(1/3) > >>

Richard230:
I have a 2018 Zero S with PT. Today I noticed that all of my lights are no longer working, including the headlight, tail light, brake light, turn indicators and the horn. Also, I have lost my braking regen, but the coasting regen still works. My dash is functioning normally and there are no fault indicator lights lit.

Could this be a failure of the DC-DC convertor, or could it be the DC-DC 4 amp fuse? Or perhaps something else? I checked all of the 12V fuses and they are OK.  Any suggestions would be appreciated. This is the first time my Zero has ever given me any problems. The troubleshooting guide in the owner's manual doesn't address this issue.  :(

TEV:

--- Quote from: Richard230 on February 20, 2022, 01:52:18 AM ---I have a 2018 Zero S with PT. Today I noticed that all of my lights are no longer working, including the headlight, tail light, brake light, turn indicators and the horn. Also, I have lost my braking regen, but the coasting regen still works. My dash is functioning normally and there are no fault indicator lights lit.

Could this be a failure of the DC-DC convertor, or could it be the DC-DC 4 amp fuse? Or perhaps something else? I checked all of the 12V fuses and they are OK.  Any suggestions would be appreciated. This is the first time my Zero has ever given me any problems. The troubleshooting guide in the owner's manual doesn't address this issue.  :(

--- End quote ---

I believe that the dashboard needs 12V to function, so it seems that isn't the DC-DC convertor, did you checked the fuse box under the seat to see if it's getting 12V?

TEV:
2018 12V Fuse Center

Richard230:

--- Quote from: TEV on February 20, 2022, 02:19:44 AM ---Dash and Running Lights are from the same fuse, so are the Running Lights working too?

--- End quote ---

No lights are working and I just noticed that the dash back-light is also out, although the dash display does work fine. I connected the bike on the charger just to see if that works and it does. All the fuses are OK, but are not getting any 12V power.

Right now I am thinking that having a replaceable 12V battery might not be all that bad. I bet the DC-DC converter is located where the sun don't shine, especially as I have the Power Tank and everything under the seat is completely jammed together. The only thing that is easily accessible is the DC-DC fuse, but I can't recall anyone ever mentioning replacing that fuse and getting the fuse case open doesn't look easy.

Richard230:
Well, I found the DC-DC converter on the AF1 Racing website: Part No. 60-07190 ($365 USD). What I couldn't locate was the "ABC 4A" fuse that apparently controls the DC/DC Converter, according to the Zero Owner's manual and is replaceable by the customer.

I think I found the location of the DC-DC converter. It looks like it is located under the front plastic cover, just below the frame's steering head brace. It appears to be in an area that I could access to replace the converter. I just discovered what an ABC fuse is and found that they are a dime-a-dozen. But do I need a fast-blow or a slow-blow fuse?

It is amazing how much you can learn that you didn't know before when something stops working and you start thinking about performing repairs yourself.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version